iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

drying syp

Started by slider, June 15, 2015, 06:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

Here in south georgia at this hot and humid time of the year pine will mold in no time without circulation .at what moisture content can I pull the fans and let it air dry safely.I am under an open shed .
al glenn

WDH

I am thinking 2 to 3 weeks, but I have no hard data to support that. It should dry pretty fast in this heat and with good air circulation.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I have had stickered SYP to dry so much in two weeks (lost weight) that I thought someone had traded lumber with me.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wwsjr

I have used a 50% mix of bleach and water to prevent mold. While stacking with stickers, I spray the top of each layer with a garden sprayer. Works for me.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

slider

Thanks for the timely response.On nice 1x's i have used bleach for years with good results but this time i'm using a big high flow fan only to see if i can get around the bleach.Some of this wood was very wet when i sawed it a week ago.I checked it this morning and it ranges from .15 to 22%.I am going to blow it for one more week and see what happens.Temps and humidity here are very high here now.
al glenn

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Mold is a fungus that does not eat anything in the wood but rather dirt, microorganism, etc. on the lumber's surface.  As a result, mold does not go into the wood.  As most pine is planed before use, mold would not be a defect as it will be planed off.  However, blue stain (also called sap stain) fungus does go deeply into the wood.  This fungus must be prevented from entering the wood, as a surface treatment will not control the fungus once it is inside the wood.  So, we usually poison the outside or else apply a killer, like bleach, before the fungus can get established.  I hope this technical info helps with control.

The mold or blue stain fungi need higher than 22% MC to be active, and probably higher than 35% MC most of the time.  Without water, the fungus cannot grow.  So, the mold needs higher than 22% MC at the surface.  Of course, freshly sawn syp is around 100% MC when first sawn, so there is a substantial risk initially.

I just checked (5PM) the temperature here in Athens, GA and it is 93 F and feels very humid, but it is actually 39% RH, or 8% EMC, so the surface will dry very fast...a couple of days...before the surface is too dry to support much new mold or blue stain growth.  Macon, GA is 94 F and 40% RH.  So, bleach initially will stop growth at the time it is applied (it does not carry over for many hours).  So use bleach the first couple of days (unless the lumber surface gets rewetted from rain) and then the surface should be dry enough so mold will not happen.

Hint:  if you have an I-phone, you probably know how to check the temperature using the built-in app, or the Weather Channel app.  But did you know that if you tap the temperature, you will then get humidity and other data?
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

Here, South of Perry, it was 97 degrees at 7:00 p.m.  Awful.  I have had issues with sticker stain in this type weather. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

that kinda weather you should be worried about sweat stain :D  i would think ya'll would do most of the sawin in the "cool" months thus avoiding heat/humity issues.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Actually, the average relative humidity in Madison, WI in the summer months is higher than in most of GA.

The sticker stain reaction, as well as non-fungal greying, is caused by slow drying (high RH and low air flow).  At warmer temperatures, the chemical reaction goes almost twice as fast as when the temperature is in the 70s.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

red oaks lumber

thats basically what i said ,avoid the heat of summer ;)

WDH

But that is half the year  :)

elk42

And some years could be 8 months.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

red oaks lumber

you just saw harder in the better months,no differant than in the frozen tundra just differant temps. ;D

WDH

Not sawing for six months would be like prison. 

Magicman

Surely it is. :o   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

willmyers0169

I just checked (5PM) the temperature here in Athens, GA and it is 93 F and feels very humid, but it is actually 39% RH, or 8% EMC, so the surface will dry very fast...a couple of days...before the surface is too dry to support much new mold or blue stain growth.  Macon, GA is 94 F and 40% RH.  So, bleach initially will stop growth at the time it is applied (it does not carry over for many hours).  So use bleach the first couple of days (unless the lumber surface gets rewetted from rain) and then the surface should be dry enough so mold will not happen.

Mr. Gene, now that you live in GA will you be doing any drying classes with UGA or maybe just for fun.  I live about 30 miles south of you and would love to pick your brain!
Machinist, WM LT15 230 JD skidsteer 2010 JD 2955 JD Jonsered chainsaw

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Sweet tea, biscuits and gravy, and grits is all I Need to have for me to visit you some morning early.  Having been born and raised (partly) in eastern TN, I do know what makes a good breakfast.

At this time, no classes are planned...except the Advanced class in TN in November.

Thank You Sponsors!