iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill control room

Started by Walnut Beast, June 14, 2022, 11:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Pretty interesting! This guy has a Timberking 2020 and had a circle mill with a cab and he said it made sense to have a control room. Has had the 2020 for 18 months and 1,300 hrs. Said he can run 8 to 10 hours a day and dust free.

Southside

I like the idea - but can see productivity dropping like a rock if I am sitting in an A/C booth running my saw while the crew is working. Yes, being the boss has it's advantages, but not sure that would work around here.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

Well now you have some ideas 😂

stavebuyer

I turned an old warehouse office cubicle into a temp controlled saw cab for my LT70DCS. With a full crew the sawyer needs to be sawing. Pushing and pulling joysticks doesn't keep you warm and mittens don't have much dexterity.

If the sawyer lets go of the joystick you are losing production.

If you are going to saw year around and maintain productivity you need a cab.

Bruno of NH

I hope to have something similar for the coming winter season
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

kelLOGg

After sawing all day does he go to the gym for exercise? ;D
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Old Greenhorn

The chances are better that he writes invoices, checks lumber tallies and lumber orders, orders blades, does mill maintenance, checks tomorrows orders, looks for logs in the yard, and figures out what to do about the guy that left early because he was sick and won't be in for a few days. 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Ventryjr

Quote from: kelLOGg on June 15, 2022, 06:38:24 AM
After sawing all day does he go to the gym for exercise? ;D
I bet after a full day of sawing he does a few 16 ounce curls.  I do! 🍻
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

kelLOGg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Bruno of NH

I know what I'm going to do
Lean over and turn up the diesel heater when the temperature drops ;D
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ron Wenrich

I ran a circle mill with a booth for 25 yrs.  Hot in the summer, cold in the winter.  Hydraulics won't make you warm. 

The only down side is that you can't see the face you're cutting on very well.  Its real important to be able to see the face when cutting grade hardwoods.  Also, how do you set your tapers from that view?  A camera would probably help. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

stavebuyer

The LT70 can be setup to saw towards you; unlike a circle mill with a cab on the side next to the saw the best view of the just sawn face on a horizontal mill is an elevated position at the end of the log.

Thank You Sponsors!