iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM vs. Norwood vs Hud-Son vs. ? (Looking for a NEW MILL!)

Started by Engineer, November 11, 2014, 12:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForestGump

Also- what kind of mills can acomadate a slabber and are there any entry level mills that can cut on both passes? (without having to walk head back before cutting again)
Let the wood times roll!

Magicman

Quote from: ForestGump on September 10, 2015, 09:34:37 PM
Im in the market for a mill as well, ive seen a local operator struggle to dial in his WM and after he did the cutting I helped my buddy stack his lumber and there was a terrible wave in many of the boards: going from 4/4 - 6/4 in the same 16' board. Is this normal?
Quick answer.....NO.  If that "local operator's" WM was properly "dialed in", it would saw true.

No offense intended, but some folks are not mechanically inclined enough to own, adjust, or operate any brand sawmill. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Quote from: ForestGump on September 10, 2015, 09:47:17 PMare there any entry level mills that can cut on both passes?
I do not know of anything less than a full blown commercial sawmill that uses a blade with teeth on both sides that would saw on the "return trip". 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

taylorsmissbeehaven

I have to agree with Lynn. I have operated an lt 15 since 2010. It has impressed me again and again. Its a simple machine that accomplishes a great task. Most problems I have encountered have been due to operator error! ;D I am biased as a WM owner, but am very satisfied, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

dboyt

I've got Norwood's HD36, but was also impressed with the LM29 for the price.  I've talked with quite a number of LM29 owners and never heard mention of problem with the head moving.  In fact, not having to lock down the head for each cut is one less thing the sawyer has to do when using it.  The clamping procedure is simple and, as long as the mill is well supported, it takes a lot of abuse.  I also liked that you could determine what options you want (track extensions, toe boards, etc.  Only parts I've needed have been blades, and they arrived so quickly that it was much easier to order them and have them delivered than it would have been to drive to a dealer and pick them up.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Engineer

Quote from: 4x4American on September 15, 2015, 08:54:47 AM
Sooooo, Engineer, did ya get a mill??   ;D

No, not yet.  Am working on finding out as much information as I can now on the EZ Boardwalk mills.  At the rate I am going it will probably be a spring purchase.

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Percy

Quote from: Engineer on May 18, 2015, 03:22:41 PMBut all I could say was, "Honey if you think I should get a new mill then I will start shopping again". 

You should write a book for all the guys who want mills but have a hard time with the significant others... The quote I took from your post is classic.  ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Engineer

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on April 13, 2017, 01:47:17 PM
Did you ever get a mill?

Nope.  Finances never panned out.  Probably won't be this year either. 

Thank You Sponsors!