iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Above ground pools

Started by LeeB, July 12, 2015, 04:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Fishing for info and opinions again. Tell me about your above ground pool. Pros, cons. Who makes the best one.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

whiskers

only ever had an in ground so take with a grain of salt my view of pools in general. money  pit, time consuming, death trap for kids and pets. check out insurance, annual power consumption, maintenance and chemicals. think liability if your neighbor's kid breaks his neck in your pool...
many irons in the fire.........

Roxie

I was surprised at how much time and money it took to keep the ph, clean and filter going.  One day I came home from work, and found that a hunter had shot the pool, low to the ground, and water was everywhere.  It didn't break my heart to give it away to someone who thought they could repair it.  Never again. 

Say when

WV Sawmiller

Don't own one but had to maintain several in-ground pools for camps/homes I built or ran around the world. Found them to be a pain and always said if I bought a home with one I'd fill it in and plant tomatoes.

Whiskers & Roxie are spot on with the hassles and costs. If you haven't run one before check long and hard before committing to one.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

kensfarm

Have an Intec pool w/ the solid top frame..  $300.. 5 or 6 years ago?  I use a regular pool sand filter pump.. easier to keep clean..  had to switch out the hose connections w/ hottub type.. so I could use regular threads.      I belled the pool floor so it is deeper then the 48 inches.  The intec filter setups only last so long.  I had the inflatable top ones.. but the racoons kept climbing up on them. 

I think my brother had to spend $5K on a new liner for his in-ground pool.   Plus it's a source of emergency water..  nice to be able to cool down in hot sun.  I leave it up all winter.. I'm loving it.

thecfarm

Wife had one at her house,we don't have one here. Seem like I was the one cleaning it,with about 4 other people using it,seem like I was the one maintaining it. Should of had a little bit bigger motor for the pump. The crud would ALMOST get to the suction part. Lacked about 6 feet. I think a bigger motor would of helped on the cleaning part. I kinda liked it,but not enough to get one here,but had to take a shower before I could get in the pool. Cut wood all day and I was a sight for the pool.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brucer

My in-laws had one but found the maintenance increasingly difficult for the amount of use it was getting. The guy who lives next to my mill site bought a large inflatable one about 5 years ago. He hasn't bothered to set it up the last two years.

My neighbour had an inground pool when I bought this place. The next owner was always complaining about all his friends wanting to come over and use it. The next owner used it for two years and then let it sit empty after that. The next owner dug it up and put in lawn.

I'd say take a good hard look at the maintenance (time & cost) and the insurance. Then think about how much you would really use it.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Chuck White

A pool requires a lot of routine maintenance.

Clorine, Algaecide, Ph + & - are the biggest concerns in this area.

Rain will really raise cane on the different chemical levels in a pool, and when it rains a lot, you will need to drain off some of the water (so far this summer I've drained of around 18-20 inches of rain water) and along with some of the water, goes some of the chemicals.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from getting a pool, but they do demand your attention.

Last summer, I was in the pool 3 times and two of those times were to vacuum the debris off the bottom of the pool.

We had our pool installed in 2003 and 3 years ago replace the liner.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

clearcut

You may want to look around on the Trouble Free Pool forum, especially when narrowing down your choices.

http://www.troublefreepool.com

I started using their Pool School method of maintenance on an in-ground vinyl lined pool, and the water is absolutely clear with some relatively easy maintenance. An accurate test kit helps greatly.

Pros - keeps the kids happy, great to cool off on the blazing hot days we get here.

Cons - Pool specific items are priced ridiculously high. I needed a 2.5" O-ring. Went to the pool store and they wanted $36.00! I told the pool guy that someone must have misplaced the decimal point, but "No", he said, "that is the correct price". Went down the road to the auto parts store - $3.79 + tax.

Just paid $19 for a specialty brass nut that I could not find a generic equivalent for.

The pump runs for many hours per day and can have a big impact on your electric bill.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

WmFritz

One thing about pools is the more they're used, the easier the maintenance is.
A solar cover will keep evaporation loss down equaling less chemicals going back in. Running the filter pump at night when rates are lower will help the power bill.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thecfarm

Just to touch on the chemicals part,we went with the maintenance plan from the pool place,and it worked great. Seem like $300 than for the summer. Yes,we had to go back and get some more,but for the most part it worked great. I forgot now what it all was,but every week put so much of this and a every 2 weeks do this. Of course we tested it every time to make sure we was all set. No green water for us.  ::) :o The pool place we went to was a good one. We brought one of those vacuums that would go around the pool all by itself. Worked real good,but the hose had to be just right to get it to go all around the pool.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ford_man

My brother had one , he said he should have dug a pond and put fish in it , said it would have been more fun and less work and expense.

xlogger

One was here at this home when we got it, put lots of money in it and used very little after first year. I've not open it for 3 years now, wish she would just agree to fill it in. We do have a hot tub, and I like that.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Remle

The only thing good about above ground pool's is the side walls make great cover's for air drying stacks of wood..yes I own one, spent about $350 so far in chemicals and countless hours of time so the grand kids can swim, maybe 6 times so far and when the liner gives out it will become a cover.. ;) ;)

Jeff

We have had an above ground pool for 20 years. Last year was the first time we had to put a new liner in it. Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is in taking care of one other than opening it in the spring, and closing it in the fall.   High maintanance issues are usually related to the choices made when you set it up. Namely where. If you have a lot of trees around, than you have a lot of debris falling in it. Thats our major issue. Debris from trees is what can screw up your PH levels.  If you have good quality water to start, and a good location to set the pool up in, at least in my view, its not that big of a deal. Maybe an hour a week of time to take care of it. That hour is generally when I get my pool time. I vacuum ours from IN the pool. I get cooled off, and get the pool clean at the same time.

I'd say our pool costs less than $50 a year for chemicals. An added expense for us this year, is that our 20 year old pump burned up friday. New one coming today. that was $179.00.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sbishop

What everyone else said...maintenance isn't so bad, we have a salt water pool...once you get it going in the spring...its not too bad to keep going all summer...PH is the key!

we purchased a used (8 years old) pool 3 years ago...it looks new, we put a new liner and away we went...not sure if I will have it around once the kids get older.

will the pool be setup near trees...debris will keep you busy cleaning it.

Sixacresand

Unless you have children and/or teenagers to keep it clean, the best above ground pools are the ones left on the shelf at Walmart.  I thrive to never clean another pool.  I could be wrong.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

drobertson

Good friends of ours has one, a 30' dia.  He claims its not bad to maintain, and they use it all summer long, we have cook outs through the summer with them, and with a nice deck around them, they are very enjoyable.  I maintained a private club pool growing up, it was a big one that held swim meets and diving events.  They were a breeze to clean I thought. Brother Steve has an in ground I helped with as well.  I figure if the pool is used, then the work if you call it that is worth it.  If it just sits, then it would clearly be a waste of money.  We plan on getting one next summer, with the kids moving back home, (hopefully), 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

HP

Yes, pools can be a pain in many ways, but if you have children, they can be a life saver.  We haven't had a pool for some years, but we had pools for many years, and our three sons learned to swim at a very early age.  We would never of had time to take them to public pools, etc.  All three of them earned life saving badges in the Boy Scouts.  It gave us peace of mind knowing that if they were out around water they could take care of themselves.  We bought our first pool around 1965.

Jeff

The other advantage when you have younguns and a pool, you pretty much know where your kids are going to be during the summer, as every one wqnts to go to YOUR house rather than your kids go somewhere else. The pool has worked out well for us, but now days, it does not get used to much. The biggest use is at the pigroast now.

Mooseherder

We put a Fiberglass pool in ground about 20 years ago. I did it owner builder hiring out the excavation and electric.  There wasn't much to excavate and we brought in about ten loads of fill because our house was already sitting high up on a house pad.  The plumbing was done by a worker from the Pool company who sold us the pool.  I did the concrete with a couple of friends.  One of them was doing it for a living.  We followed his direction and it has worked out well.
My wife uses it most everyday except winter time.  I was using it just a few times a year up until this summer.  Our Granddaughter who just learned how to swim comes over almost every day.  She loves it and drags me along and I have been enjoying it with her.  I've used it more this year than all the previous added together.  My wife takes care of it for the most part.  I am the pool filter cleaner though.  Really easy to take care especially with an inline kreepy crawler.  This thing is one heck of a bug killer.  It's killed more bugs than McDonald's has sold hamburgers.  At this point I'm glad we have it.  I'll be using later. ;)

LeeB

Jeff, what size is your pool?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Larry

What's wrong with Crooked Creek?  No maintenance required and if ya gotta go...head downstream. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

LeeB

Not a DanG thing as far as I'm concerned. Lindy on the other hand seems to think she needs a pool. Something about snakes and other assorted critters in the creek. If momma ain't happy, daddy never hears the end of it.

Jeff

Quote from: LeeB on July 14, 2015, 03:32:42 PM
Jeff, what size is your pool?

Our pool is 15 by 30, oblong. If I were to do it over, I'd go with round. Easier set up, plus you can make it deeper easier if you like. Oblong pools have under the liner strap tie supports, and knee supports on the outside. The steel straps that hold the sides together make it impossible to deepen the pool, other than in one very small area between the last cross strap and the end of the pool.   The other thing notable when setting up, is to make sure your skimmer is opposite the direction of your prevailing winds. This helps keep the pool clean, and on the round pool, having your bottom taper to a deep spot in the center, helps make cleaning a breeze as debris will migrate to that spot.

thecfarm

I also think the more it is used the easier it is to keep clean. Used as in 2-3-4 kids keeping the water moving in it. The wife did have hers deeper in the middle,it was a round one.Wife can't really remember the size,but it was a big one. Plenty of room for 4 people to have some fun it.

Ken

It was not something I wanted but my wife was consistent in her conviction that I would not have a garage until she had a pool.  Pool installation is nearly done so hopefully I will have a garage this fall.   

Lots of toys for working in the bush

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

A pool for garage? A man has to do what a man has to do.  :)

Magicman

Choose your battles wisely.  (old saying)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

Working in the garage and around the house today and jumping in the pool to cool off.  Couldn't have done it otherwise.  I have never been much for the pool up until now. 

LeeB

How many of you heat your pool and what does that cost?

Jeff

Lee, I would think you should not have to heat a pool down there.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Mooseherder on July 19, 2015, 09:45:54 PM
Working in the garage and around the house today and jumping in the pool to cool off.  Couldn't have done it otherwise.  I have never been much for the pool up until now.

;D Looks like you need to tighten up on your back stroke.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

LeeB

Quote from: Jeff on July 24, 2015, 07:35:08 AM
Lee, I would think you should not have to heat a pool down there.

Probably not in the dead of summer, but the months and after July and August it is still pretty mild at night. My daughter has a small pool that they just set up a few weeks ago and even it is still quite cool, tolerable but cool non the less. I also would like to possibly be able to use it in the winter some. We have certainly been known to get in the hot tub in the dead of winter while it's sleeting and snowing.

Jeff

The worst culprit against keeping a pool warm is night time cooling.  They are like a wide mouth coffee cup. You leave your cup set for a couple minutes and it is cold. You cover it, and it stays hot a long time.  Having a solar cover that doubles as a blanket at night is far cheaper than a heater (heating is expensive, why we personally don't do it up here) and probably as productive if you live where there are warm sunny days.  They are just kind of a pain in the butt to put on unless you have a roller to roll them up. and pull them back out.

LeeB

I actually figured a combination of solar and a propane heater with a cover for sure, with propane as a backup to get the temps up on a winter day if we decide to use it.

WmFritz

Quote from: LeeB on July 24, 2015, 09:46:12 AM
I actually figured a combination of solar and a propane heater with a cover for sure, with propane as a backup to get the temps up on a winter day if we decide to use it.

Jeff would have to spud through 4+ feet of ice to use his pool in the winter.  :D

If you heat the house with an OWB, you could easily tie into the pool and heat with wood.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

sprucebunny

Might want to insulate under it if you heat it.
They make electically heated mats for electric radiant floors that might be something to look at if electric is cheap for you.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

clearcut

When I moved into my house, the 30,000 gallon pool had a propane heater. It burned through 300 gallons of propane in about 3 weeks to heat the pool in early May. The pool went from 65° to about 72°.

It was disconnected by June.

The owner of the local propane dealership used to own this house, explaining the heater.

I now use a solar (bubble) cover and it works great. Bought a reel for the cover and it is much easier than dragging the cover on and off. In June we went away for 5 days with the cover on. The pool temperature rose from 73° to 85°.

Using just the solar cover, we open the pool in April. Once the weather gets a bit cooler, even though the pool stays warm through October, the kids lose interest in swimming.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

LeeB

Old topic but Lindy still hasn't given up on getting a pool. Any new opinions? any reviews on brands? There seems to be almost no reviews online.

TKehl

Depends if you are talking inflatable or the type with the metal ring and a liner.  I was around three of the latter growing up.  Wasn't enough difference between them to mention.  I can say I prefer a sand filter above replaceable ones.

I find the inflatable/water filled sidewall ones don't work well on our farm.  A loose sow took out the last one...  Also difficult if you have a large dog.  

We are so redneck, that we fill a cattle stock tank a few days before a heat wave to let the kids play in.  When it starts turning green, we drain it in the garden.   :D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

DelawhereJoe

Everything will really depend on what your budget is. DoughBoy pools seem to be one of the better quality ones that I have worked on, you can also get them with a deep end. Sand filters have less maintenance to them then other types and you can get an alternative media over just the sand that will reduce the filtration size I think its called zeolite. If you go with a variable speed pump it will pay for itself in 2 or 3 years with power savings.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

LeeB

Looking to spend a max of $6k on the pool and install myself. I tried to sell her on a big stock tank but she just won't go for it.  :D

JJ

Hi LeeB
After I move to NH, I found lakes big enough to use my boat too far away; so I traded (sold) the boat for a pool.  My 3 kids (all teenagers now) didn't like going on the boat with me anymore anyway, and all wanted a pool with the new house (we passed on many homes which already had pools).

Went with Kayak pool: Kayak Pools | The Trusted Name In Above Ground Swimming Pools Since 1958

Wanted a rectangle pool so would flush up against my deck, and could have a deeper end going from 48" to 66".   Was about even trade for my boat, and didn't want the expense of in-ground; so if I don't want it anymore I can just take it down, and maybe sell it.

It has nice construction, all aluminum so I could use the salt water generator.  I have it in good location, no trees over it, and gets sun all day long.  70-80 degree water last summer.

Size is 16' x 24' with 2' surrounding walkway and 6'x20' aluminum deck on back end. 
Total footprint 20' x 32'

Under installation, had to square up my odd shape deck, as there was once a round pool here.  You can see the deeper end.

All full, and fixing my landscaping

New fire pit area.

Right now pool is completely frozen, but looking forward to those extreme hot days of summer.  Totally changes how you deal with the heat.

JJ

DelawhereJoe

Any metal pool will have an issue with the salt water, even deck screws will be effcted by it. My boss used the premium deck screws and they only lasted 7 years around his pool. It got so bad ehen you would walk around the pool the heads would pop off and land right into the pool. He has rust stains from the screw heads from when we closed his pool down. Last year we replaced all his decking with that trex stuff and used stainless hardware to hold it down, well see how long it takes for that to rot.

TKehl

Quote from: LeeB on March 19, 2018, 09:32:20 AM
Looking to spend a max of $6k on the pool and install myself. I tried to sell her on a big stock tank but she just won't go for it.  :D
That budget should be pretty easy.  I'd look for a used one and buy a new liner and call it good.
I actually have one sitting here at the farm that we got free for taking it down.  (I'm 35 and still can't tell mom no...  :))  It's 21 or 24' round with sand filter, pump, and deck...  If you pay more than a couple hundred, it's too much!

Put down good base for it.  Last one we put down a couple inches of sand and had everything packed "real good".  Then when we filled it, we could see every gopher tunnel.   :D  If we do put this one together (maybe after the house is done), I think I'll lay down some 1" to 1/2" limestone gravel, then 1/4" and finer, then sand.

Oh, and when putting up the metal ring, make sure you have at least 3-4 buddies (don't have to be strong, just need hands) there and plenty of cold drinks.   ;)  And make sure the round part of the bolt head is on the INSIDE, not the nut and bolt side.  You could ask me how I know, but I think you already know the answer.    ::)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

LeeB

@Jeff What brand is your pool? I'd say 20 years is a pretty good run.

Jeff

It's a lowmart pool Lee. I think this is actually the 24th year.

LeeB

Hmm, haven't seen that brand in my searches. Wonder if it's still made?

Again I ask before I google. Yep, they still make them.

Jeff

LeeB

Made in Arkansas. Might be worth a trip to the factory. 

Jeff

I've been impressed with ours. I've seen several pools in our neighborhood come and go within the time we have had ours.

LeeB

The manufacturers also make two other brands, both with good reviews. It seems they don't sell direct to the public though. Closest dealer is about 2 hours away. Might be better to just buy online.

Jeff

We bought ours from a company that you would get Oxygen and oxyacetylene tanks filled, however they no longer sell the pools. I imagine the customer service end of things would be taxing trying to help everyone figure out why they can't see the bottom of their pools through the green cloud.  Pools are easy to maintain, but a chore if you neglect them.

LeeB

I never tried to maintain a pool but we have a hot tub. Keep the chlorine right and it's a piece of cake. 

Chuck White

We had been doing some checking, way back in 2001, and we were contacted by Quality Pools in Syracuse, NY and we set up an appointment and they showed up to describe what they had to offer!

Well, we didn't buy that year, due to the high price quote of $15,000., so we kept looking and then in 2003 they came back up and we bought the same pool for $6,500!

Really nice, deck all the way around, made with extruded aluminum, with a large deck area on the side towards the house, and a raised fence all the way around!

If I stay up with it, on the routine maintenance, which is primarily the PH balance and vacuuming it's not really all that much, just have to monitor it regularly!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Grizzly

Not something I worry about I guess. No chemicals, no maintenance, just jump in. And worry about the leeches later.  :D

And it does double duty in winter. Sorry, but us poor guys gotta find something to compete with.  :D   :D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

thecfarm

Don't waste your money on a pool. Get horses instead. :D

Jeff

I'm blaming this photo on this topic. The liner must has ruptured on the bottom. The pool thawed, and then it emptied in less than a day. Not good!

DelawhereJoe

I have seen ice break brittle liners then as the water drains out, it cuts the liner the whole way down the side. Above ground liners are cheap enough about $400 for an 18'x36'x52"

Jeff

First failure in 25 years.  The first one we changed out just a couple years ago because it was bleached out and it just seemed like time to do it, but in all that time it had never failed like this.  I think  know what happened.  Lat year I could feel something under the liner that felt like a stone. We live on a gravel pit so I figured a stone had worked its way up through the sand bed.  It was extremely cold for a long time this winter enough to freeze the pool solid. I bet that pushed against what ever that was I felt under the liner and that is where the failure is.  All conjecture. I won't know for quite some time because fixing that pool is way down my list of priorities this spring. I'll know perhaps around the middle to end of June.

wildtmpckjzg

I've looked at a lot of above-ground pools, and they range in price from $200--$2000+. Obviously, you get what you pay for! However, I'm not looking for the pool of the century, just something for them to splash around in. I was thinking about 18' X 48". I have seen some at Walmart, Academy, etc they're called Easy Set. Essentially, it's an inflatable ring around the pool liner, then it "grows" as you fill it up. It really sounds kind of flimsy to me. Seems the only way in and out is through the ladder, any pressure on the inflatable edge and you'd have a flood! Also, everything I've read says you have to level the ground and cut away any sod, or otherwise, the grass will rot underneath, causing nasty smells and possible fungus, rot, etc. Ok, so we get an above ground pool installers near me pool from Walmart. They only deliver it curbside, and won't even take it inside the backyard. Then, we set it up--oops, did we forget to cut out the sod first? Well, moving right along, we then set up our pool, be it a Walmart cheapo or something nice about $2000 plus. Now, what will I find out?

I guess I'd like some advice from above-ground pool owners who have had theirs for a while and can inform me of the pros and cons, the things you never find out until you've had it for a while. Is it a pain to maintain? Expensive? Do the kids enjoy it at first and then grow bored with it? Well, any advice, suggestions, etc., thanks!

Jeff

We removed ours this last fall. We looked into replacing it. Not sure what you get for 2000. We priced year before last and it was 6000.  Its was 2000 in 1994.

thecfarm

This is our walmart pool

START TO FINISH COLEMAN ABOVE GROUND POOL 22X52 - YouTube

We buy chemicals from a pool store. We bought chemicals one year from walmart and other stores. We struggled with the pool all summer. Seem like the pool store stuff is better?? All I know is the pool stays nice and clear and when we check the water all is fine when we used the pool store chemicals.
We did get a used haywood pump and I feel that makes a big difference.

Ricker

When the boys were younger, they are in their 20's now, we had the biggest Walmart blue blow up the top ring pools.  We got about 6-7 years out of them before needing to replace them.  Cost about $350-$400 each, worth it for what we wanted.  I did away with the factory pump and filter set up and got a used sand filter and a pump for a pool twice as big as what we needed, that cost about $150. But you didn't have to run it 24 hrs a day to keep it clean. Plus it was a built in whirlpool, the pool had the current of a small river!

SawyerTed

We ordered our pool online after several weeks of studying pools both in ground and above ground pools.  All in we spent around $6,000 for the pool, 18x34 oval, the grading, sand, landscaping and electrical.  We spend another $3,500 on decks and we aren't finished with what we want to do.  

I've spent the last week two or more hours a day getting ours cleaned up for the summer.  Neglecting the routine maintenance and closing procedures is what has created a week-long process instead of 4 or 5 hours over the weekend.  We were in a rush and I neglected to balance the chemicals and shock the pool with chlorine when we closed the pool.  That neglect has created 5 times the amount of work.  In previous years, I could open the pool in the spring with a few hours spread over a weekend.  This year it was a mess.  I've learned my lesson!

Follow the maintenance and cleaning schedules, keep the chemicals balanced and a pool is easier to maintain than a lawn with less time invested.  

In the end, it is all worth it as long as you use the pool.  It is like a motorcycle, a boat, a vacation home, a side-by-side utv, a gym membership, or a computer, the only way you get a return on the "investment" (very broad use of that term) is by using the pool regularly.  It is easier if you are the type who likes to have friends and family around periodically.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

kantuckid

YES! they are some work.
Ours was in use for the entire time our sons were young enough to enjoy it. It was bought sort of used for $100 15' dia by 4'. It had been a demo pool for a hdwe store that went kaput, guy bought it at auction, never set it up, then sold to me. It was a steel frame decent quality but pump was meager version. Winter covers were a serious challenge that I doubt I ever really found a solution I felt great with.
I miss using it, not maintaining it.
The dump truck load of sand I bought to install mine cost more than the pool and that was over 20 years ago. It also found me wheelbarrowing tons of sand over to the pool location.   ;D Our original liner lasted the entire use period. I gave the pool away for free after a long use period. The days I miss it are around the 100 degree temps, the rest not so much.
Price chemicals, covers, decks, etc., and ask all the right questions before you "go there".
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Nebraska

I have a client that dug an above ground pool in the ground.  They lined the hole with steel from a Harvestor silo insulated it with foam board. With the cover on it, it didn't require much heat over winter to keep from freezing up. They poured a nice patio around it, it looks like a real underground pool.  They haven't had livestock for a while so I haven't been on the place for a couple years, but last I knew they were still using it.  It's probably much easier to do out here in the country... I'm sure zoning etc would have kittens if one tried that in some places.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Nebraska on May 26, 2022, 08:05:55 AM
I have a client that dug an above ground pool in the ground.  They lined the hole with steel from a Harvestor silo insulated it with foam board. With the cover on it, it didn't require much heat over winter to keep from freezing up. They poured a nice patio around it, it looks like a real underground pool.  They haven't had livestock for a while so I haven't been on the place for a couple years, but last I knew they were still using it.  It's probably much easier to do out here in the country... I'm sure zoning etc would have kittens if one tried that in some places.
That would work well . I wonder what it wood cost to buy enough used panels for a 30' ?
Necessity is the engine of drive

kantuckid

I am reminded of the man who dug an inground pool with a wheelbarrow and a shovel in the mid 1950's when I was a young golf caddy who walked by daily as he worked away, evenings and weekends. The roadway lane adjacent to the 18th hole going into Shawnee Country Club was about 400 yards long and had a row of middle-income homes backed up to it.
 This guy dug for months and months, over a year total, until he had a rectangular hole deep enough for pouring his pool. The dirt removed was piled below the pool downslope. 
The molded fiberglass ones catch my eye more than a seemingly flimsy above ground type. I realize the above ground ones are engineered but it's still often some very thin sheet meat held by sheet metal screws that often strip out. I had to sub out larger screws on mine a bunch.     
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

SawyerTed

I have to wonder and am a little concerned what a rock thrown by a mower would do to my above ground pool.  We've had it a few years and it hasn't happened yet.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Jeff

I punched a hole in ours running over a dropped in the grass propane regulator. I fixed it with JB weld, but ultimately, that is where our worse wall corrosion ended the pools life, but the repair was 20 years old.

Kids shanked a golf ball in the back yard on a full swing when the end of our yard was all woods. It hit the pool from about 8 feet away. Oh you could tell exactly what hit it from there after.

Thank You Sponsors!