iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Compression Drop Test

Started by luvmexfood, July 17, 2015, 12:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

My old 029 seems to have lost power but not suddenly. Did the drop test. Saw just chugged down the starter rope. Is it time for a rebuild and is it worth rebuilding? Runs ok just lack of power.

What parts would probably be needed to rebuild assuming I used aftermarket parts? Don't want to put a whole lot in a saw that is around 14 years old.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

sawguy21

I would pull the muffler and look at the piston but it sounds like the old girl is plumb wore out. I think that is the clam shell design which means completely stripping it to get the piston out. You can the assess the bottom end as well and make your call. A new MS291 is around 500 bucks
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

dougand3

+1 on pull muffler and look. It may be just piston and ring scored. But may be cylinder scoring and Al transfer. I'd put a new top end on it (Cyl, P&R, wrist pin, bearing, circlips). Normally, you can make it a 49mm bore 039 with a direct bolt on.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

luvmexfood

I was leaning toward putting an 039 top end on it. But seeing that it just got run over by a tractor have to think somemore on it. Brakehandle, complete rear handle with all the associated workings and airfilter cover at first glance.

And I had thought about quitting earliar in the day because I was aggravated and tired. Should have.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

sawguy21

Look for another or an 039 and use this one for parts.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!