iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Amazing photo

Started by chet, July 20, 2015, 08:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

Lightening strike to a crane caught on film at one of my son's job sites. Not a clear pic as windshield wipers couldn't keep up to the rain.  :D

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Magicman

:o  Wow, what a shot !!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

THAT is a good pic. note to self.......get out of crane during storm.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

pigman

Looks like a track crane with a lattice boom. They make a great lightening rods.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Sheepkeeper

There was a crew driving pilings for a bridge replacement project near our house yesterday when a fairly intense storm passed by just to the north of town. The pounding stopped until the storm passed by. Can't say as I blame them. There were a couple of good loud cracks of thunder overhead and the power went out for about five minutes.
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

justallan1

I guess I must be attracted to it, or it's attracted to me. :D Right before I left California I helped a guy out driving pilings for docks on the Sac River on a couple docks and although we didn't work in the weather, I've sure seen some decent shows on the barge and crane.
Now here in Montana the house the ranch gives me, I live right smack in the middle of a coal mine and see the light shows on the draglines pretty often.
I've been out on fires with only my 4-wheeler and see storms and lightning coming from miles away, and that's when you head for shelter. I generally make it, but have got caught a few times and had to find somewhere to hide to wait it out.

Tom L

wow , you would think after a shot like that , the cranes electrical systems would be melted beyond repair.

LeeB

Saw lightning hit the crane on the rig I was on and jump across to the derrick. The guy in the derrick came down with his hair smoking. Did all kinds of damage to the rigs electrical system. My derrickman quit.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SawyerBrown

Wow, cool pic. The rain streaks make it even more interesting, IMO.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

sandhills

Lee I'm pretty sure I'd of quit too, my dad has always said I'm the best ground God ever created  :D.  That's quite a picture, lightning does a lot of funny things to electrical stuff and most don't show up for awhile.

clww

"When thunder roars, go indoors". ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WmFritz

Amazing is a great adjective to describe that photograph.  :o
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Wick

Crane looks like a Manitowoc. That is an awesome picture. Would make a good safety topic.
Timber Harvester 30HT25

Magicman

When I am sawing and a storm comes up, da sawing is over.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

yukon cornelius

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

drobertson

As equally amazing as the strike is the on the spot photograph. I pretty much head indoors when that stuff gets going too.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!