iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bosch 1617EVS router templet guide selection

Started by 21incher, August 07, 2015, 04:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I just got a couple HD gift cards for my birthday and used them to buy a new router to replace my 25 year old Bosch fixed base router. I bought the 1617EVS kit

I want to be able to use the plunge base to inlay bowties in slabs and need to add a way to mount the template guides. Bosch sells a quick change guide adapter that needs specialized guides and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with that setup. The other option is to go with a new baseplate that uses the standard brass guides. looking for opinions on which is the best route to take as the guides from my old Bosch router will not work with the new one.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Bruno of NH

Nice set up .
I like Bosch tools .
I have a lot or them .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

I have the quick change adapter, and it worked good when I last cut dovetail joints on the dovetail jig. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

21incher

I read some bad reviews about the Bosch templates just being swaged together and breaking easily, but I will give them a try. I see the kit comes with a brass template adapter anyway. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Larry

Bosch makes an excellent router but I might consider returning it and getting another brand that takes standard inserts.

I made a couple of different base plates for my Bosch router to accept the standard inserts.  Easy enough to make one on a milling machine with rotary table, but the base needs to be made to a precision level of a few thousandths.  Setup takes a long time.  Thought I would mention it as I saw you have a milling machine on another thread.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

21incher

I thought that the router came with the adapter, but was wrong. WDH said the quick change one worked ok so I just ordered the adapter, guide set, & centering pin from Amazon to try. I do have a milling machine with a precision rotary table that has indexing plates so making a new baseplate as you did is also a option. The router runs smooth as glass so returning it is not a option I would consider. :)

WDH

I really like my Bosch router.  It is a 2 1/2 HP model. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jueston

Quote from: 21incher on August 08, 2015, 04:43:05 PM
The router runs smooth as glass so returning it is not a option I would consider. :)

i know that feeling, i have one of there sanders and after i used it i couldn't bare to use the cheap sander i had used before. Bosch tools can be expensive but i think good tools are worth every penny when they make woodworking more fun and relaxing.

21incher

Quote from: jueston on August 11, 2015, 08:53:33 AM
Quote from: 21incher on August 08, 2015, 04:43:05 PM
The router runs smooth as glass so returning it is not a option I would consider. :)

i know that feeling, i have one of there sanders and after i used it i couldn't bare to use the cheap sander i had used before. Bosch tools can be expensive but i think good tools are worth every penny when they make woodworking more fun and relaxing.
I have never had a problem with any of my Bosch tools.

Today I received the templates and adapter

I like how the templates change out by pushing the little lever and they seem to relocate accurately when changing, but centering the base plate is a pain after mounting the adapter . It tries to shift as you tighten the screws in the oversize holes in the base plate and I wound up having to use clamps to hold it while tightening the screws.

The biggest issue with this setup is that there is zero visibility through all the hardware.

The entire base is covered by hardware. I think that I will eventually make a clear base sized for the PC templates in the future,the stock base plate on the fixed base has about a .02 bow to it so I will replace that one.

Picked up a inlay kit at HF for a little over  $5.00 and the brass guides are well made. I need to make some templates to try it out. Luckily the kit came with a PC template adapter. :) 

21incher

Well I gave up on the Bosch templates today. Trying to do a small inlay and I could not see anything. I wound up making a couple of clear plates that are machined for the PC type bushings.

I decided to add some LED's to one and now have great visibility and the new bases are made from cast acrylic that is extremely flat and transmits light well. Without the bushings it lights the cut area and bit really good. If anyone is interested I did a you tube video showing how it was made.
http://youtu.be/YkYKZEhqUYk:)

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

21incher

Thanks beenthere. It really makes the router easier to use when doing inlay work. I bought those 2 lights at my local dollar store a while ago hoping to find a use for them someday and the LED strips worked perfectly for this application. :).

Larry

That's just pretty slick.  At first glance I was wondering about the 1/2" thick base and now I know.

I've made clear bases for my Bosch Colt and a couple of other routers.  I looked at them tonight and none have the open room around the spindle that yours have.  Got an excuse to get another router now. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

Hilltop366

coalsmok

Very nice. Lots nicer than my old router base.

jueston

very cool and very cool making a video to show the world so other people can make one like it

21incher

Quote from: jueston on August 26, 2015, 08:46:17 AM
very cool and very cool making a video to show the world so other people can make one like it
Thanks jueston.  The great thing about the internet is being able to share ideas. If people copy it then it means that it was a good idea. It solved my issues and I am now able to see the inlay areas without constantly picking up the router. I am trying to find a strip LED that can be purchased seperately that would replace the ones that I had to destroy reader lights to obtain so it would be a real easy build. I am also saving up for a 3d printer as I have a idea for a dust collector attachment for the router that would power brighter LED's with the vacuum stream. :)

GrahamW

Thank You Sponsors!