iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CK Help

Started by Fla._Deadheader, September 20, 2004, 08:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

I am getting frustrated trying to get a price per square of 30 year shingles??? Any ballpark price is fine. Installed or not would be great.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

FL_D
I just called this morning, and am going to get 30 year architectural shingle for $14.40 a bundle, 3 to a square.  9 square (in Wisconsin).  ::) ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I paid $44.50 a square for the ones we put on. 4 bundles to the square
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

etat

I pay 38 dollars and change for Certainteed 30 year architectural.   But I buy lots and lots and lots of em. ;D

Afraid all them storms yall done had is gonna run the price up on em.

Installed, including tear off, clean up, new tarpaper, new pipe flanges, etc. runs just a bit  over a hundred bucks a square, depending on the house, and the customer. This would include labor and materials.

Appx. 5 dollars per foot for ridge vent, including materials.

Steeper houses, can't get around, tearing off more than one layer, etc. the price goes up some.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks CK.  ;) ;D ;D  Only 1 layer, and the Insurance guy just called to schedule a visit for tomorrow.  :) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

J_T

Hey Ck get Fd to bring you a floor and pick up shingels ;D 8)
Jim Holloway

Fla._Deadheader

Waaay ahead of ya J_T.  ;) ;) :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

J_T

Started to ask about comission then I woke up :D :D
Jim Holloway

etat

:D :D :D :D
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

etat

Lets see if I can help some more. :P :) :D 8)

Done a little bit of research.  So far what I've come up with is the replacement price of a roof in Fla, before the storm,  I understand, should  run about 150 dollars per square. This was in New Port Richey. I don't know where that is but the price included materials, and labor.  I would imagine this may  be close to the amount ins. will pay.   I would be REAL interesting in hearing the real price even through a PM Sometimes it pays to argue with insurance guys a bit.  I also understand that there's a LOT of potentional for price gouging going on down there. The ones that are caught, if they are caught will be in lots a trouble.  Most probably jail time.

I also understand that ins. bonds, liscensed for roofers in Fla is much higher than around here.

One thing I've noticed.  I've roofed a couple or so of new houses in the last few years for people who've migrated from Florida.  Without fail, ABSOLULTELY without fail, each one of them has been amazed that prices were that cheap around here.  All of em were nice folks.  

A couple of advantages I've got here include price of materials, and even more important the cost of disposing of materials.  A pretty good sized landfill fairly close, and REALLY resonable price for dumping.  I can dump as much as I can carry for 25 dollars per load, three axel trailer, 16 foot long, with built up sides and a steel floor. And they drag it off with a trackhoe.  I regularily go in there with 50 or 60 square of debri on that ole trailer. (Usually just slightly overloaded) :)

A few counties away this same load would be disposed of, by the pound, running the cost of dumping up to between one hundred and fifty and two hundred dollars or more, and you either have a dump truck or dump trailer, or unload by hand.

Insurance around here usually will only want to pay between 70 and 80 dollars per square, for 20 year shingles, and just less than a hundred for 30 year.  They don't want to realize price has gone up on materials, and fuel.   I don't really do a lot of ins. only jobs but when I do I mostly argue em up a little  in price, depending on the ins. co.

Following Hurricane Andrew in 1992, insurers doing business in Florida were allowed to charge dramatically higher deductibles on hurricane damage claims. Where homeowners are used to paying $500 or $1,000 de-ductibles for other damage - from a tornado, for instance - they now will pay 2 percent of the value of their home or more for their hurricane deductible.
Despite a difficult ordeal, .......... and his family were lucky in one way. The wind that lashed the property was measured at just under 100 miles an hour. If it had exceeded that speed, .......... says their deductible would have become a percentage of the policy limit. Instead, ........paid a $250 deductible.
Check your policy to see if there are exclusions. Policies typically won't cover damage to piers and swimming pools, for example. They typically won't pay to replace storm-damaged trees and shrubs. And they won't cover flood damage. For that, you need separate insurance under NFIP. But if a windstorm damages your roof or smashes windows and rain gets into your home, the water damage is typically covered.
Florida law requires most employers to buy workers comp insurance, which pays for medical care when an employee is hurt on the job. Workers comp also offers disability benefits when an injury is permanent and prevents the worker from doing his job.  
Then there's the matter of exemptions for small contractors. A loophole in the Florida law lets a contractor classify all of his employees as independent contractors and legally avoid buying workers comp coverage for them.

The Florida Department of Financial Services estimates that construction exemptions and employer fraud (classifying employees as less risky than they are) costs the system $1.3 billion a year.

Insurers repeatedly have pushed to end the exemptions, but the influential Florida Home Builders has successfully fought off challenges to the loophole.

The home builders lobby argues that forcing everyone on a job site to carry workers comp coverage would further boost the price of new homes. What's more, builders argue, few insurance carriers are willing to write policies for tiny contractors, so ending the loophole would prove futile.

Now, more importantly during my INTENSIVE research I came up with these other bits of knowledge about what
current conditions in Florida.  I guess yall real live Floridians would know if these were true or not.

1. Coffee and frozen pizzas can be made on a BBQ
grill.

2. No matter how many times you flick the switch,
lights don't work without electricity.

3. Kids can survive 4 plus days without a video game controller in their hands.

4. Cats are really irritating without power.

5. He who has the biggest generator wins.

6. Women can actually survive without doing their hair--you just wish they weren't around you.

7. A new method of non-lethal torture - showers
without hot water. This is for the lucky ones on city
water. If you have a well and no generator, it's time
to bathe in the pool!

8. TV is an addiction and the withdrawal symptoms are
painful.

9. A 7 lb bag of ice will chill 6-12 oz Budweiser's to
a drinkable temperature in 11 minutes, and still keep
a 14-pound turkey frozen for 8 more hours.

10. There are a lot of trees around there.

11. Flood plan drawings on some mortgage documents
were seriously wrong.

12. Contrary to most Florida natives' beliefs, the
speed limit on roads without traffic lights does not
increase.

13. Aluminum siding, while aesthetically pleasing, is
definitely not required to keep your house standing,
and during wind surges becomes flying weapons.

14. Just because you're over 21 doesn't mean you can
stay out as late as you want. At least that's what the
cops tell  during a curfew stop.

15. Crickets can increase their volume to overcome the
sound of 14 generators.

16. People will get into a line that has already
formed without having any idea what the line is for.

17. When required, most any vehicle will
float--doesn't steer well, but floats just the same.

18. Hurricanes do keep the mailman from his appointed
rounds.

19. Tele-marketers function no matter what the weather
is doing.

20. Cell phones sometimes work when land lines are
down, but only as long as the battery remains charged.

21. Twenty-seven of your neighbors are fed from a
different transformer than you, and they are quick to
point that out!

22. Laundry hampers were not made to contain such a
volume.

23. Anyone who owns a store  that sells  only ice, chainsaws,
gas, and generators...will become rich.

24. The price of a bag of ice rises 200% after a
hurricane.

25. Your water front property can quickly become
someone else's fishing hole.

26. Tree service companies are under appreciated.

27. MATH 101: 30 days in month, minus 6 days without
power equals 30% higher electric bill ?????

28. Drywall is a compound word, take away the "dry"
part and it's worthless.

29.One more concerning why there's not gonna be a  baby boom in nine months, but I'll leave that one out. :)  

ScottAR

This is a tad late, but in AR 30 year owens corning are running $40.29 per square.  Come from the Memphis plant.  I dunno the other brands as store where I work only carries Owens.  HTH

P.S.  Even though I'm just west of the MO bootheel, I still answered a couple phone calls for generators...  Some from Louisanna ran from Ivan up here...   Felt a little weird...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Thank You Sponsors!