iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

McCulloch 38cc, 2.3ci Mac Cat chainsaw

Started by Always The Herd, August 20, 2015, 05:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Always The Herd

I now have a McCulloch 38cc, 2.3ci Mac Cat chainsaw. I do no have a part/service manual for it. Do you know what fuel mix I should use in this saw? It is a model #60003819.

sawguy21

First of all welcome to the forum. Check the thread titled "How many gas cans?" then make your own call. Oil mix is shall we say a little controversial around here. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Always The Herd

I still need a "valid" answer. I do not want to tear up my saw. Someone please help me with this saw. Thanks!!!

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Tell us more about this saw.. its history before and after you got it.

Click your user name and you can edit your profile there with your location and other info.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Always The Herd

I don't know anything about it......I got it second handed.

beenthere

Ok, so you have not had it running yet? Any description... estimate of the age?

Any pics you can post to show us? 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Always The Herd

No pics....I got it started....but didn't want to run it but just about "60 seconds" without knowing for sure which mixture to use. I need help. Thanks!!!

ktowne030311

I'd start out and try 32:1, that's 4 Oz oil to 1 gallon gas, or if your using the metric system, it's 156ml to 5 liters of gas.
McCulloch 5-49, Ms290/390 frankenstein, 030av, 051av

sawguy21

Quit worrying, it's not rocket science. You will be perfectly safe and get decent performance with 40:1 using a quality 2 stroke oil designed for air cooled engines. 32:1 will also work if you tune the saw accordingly and don't mind the smoke.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

celliott

32:1, 40:1 or 50:1 are all acceptable ratios. Mix the fuel right and tune the saw properly and it'll be fine.
If you need a basis to choose, buy a thing of oil and do whatever is easiest with your gas can.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Always The Herd

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 23, 2015, 11:21:59 AM
Quit worrying, it's not rocket science. You will be perfectly safe and get decent performance with 40:1 using a quality 2 stroke oil designed for air cooled engines. 32:1 will also work if you tune the saw accordingly and don't mind the smoke.
That may be easy for you to say...lol. I am not a rocket scientist and for sure don't know how to tune the saw for different type mixtures. Please someone give me some good advice and help. Thanks.

Always The Herd

Quote from: celliott on August 23, 2015, 02:13:27 PM
32:1, 40:1 or 50:1 are all acceptable ratios. Mix the fuel right and tune the saw properly and it'll be fine.
If you need a basis to choose, buy a thing of oil and do whatever is easiest with your gas can.
I can mix the fuel correctly.....but how in the world would a novice like me "tune the saw" for different mixtures? Please help. Thanks!

Ozarker

celliott

Quote from: Always The Herd on August 23, 2015, 07:06:06 PM
Quote from: celliott on August 23, 2015, 02:13:27 PM
I can mix the fuel correctly.....but how in the world would a novice like me "tune the saw" for different mixtures? Please help. Thanks!

The madsens sound link is a good one, this is also a good video on tuning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjb9_UIgSdY
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Always The Herd

I need a parts/service manual for a McCulloch 38cc, 2.3ci Mac Cat chainsaw.

It is a model #60003819 (actual number taken from saw & it is correct!!!)and s/n #11-010219.

Do you know of a website that has this one listed? I don't seem to be able
to find a valid site. Thank You

Always The Herd

Quote from: Always The Herd on August 24, 2015, 10:34:22 PM
I need a parts/service manual for a McCulloch 38cc, 2.3ci Mac Cat chainsaw.

It is a model #60003819 (actual number taken from saw & it is correct!!!)and s/n #11-010219.

Do you know of a website that has this one listed? I don't seem to be able
to find a valid site. Thank You

mad murdock

most 2 stroke small engines are very similar.  Unless you are going to take it apart and rebuild it, or replace the piston/rings and or cylinder, or do lower end work on the crank or rod, you should not need a parts/service manual for the saw.  If it is a newer McC, (made by Husqvarna/Poulan), It will be difficult to find a manual, unless you know someone at a saw shop who can connect you up with the info.  Probably all you will be able to find will be an owners or users manual.  If it is a newer saw, you will need to get a set of carb adjusting drivers (you can get a full set from amazon for around 20 bucks with shipping), as a lot of the newer consumer grade saws have carburetor adjusting screws that have goofy heads on them to keep joe sixpack from adjusting the saw to make it run correctly, as EPA has new engine manufacturers hog tied to be able to meet emmission standards, saws are usually factory set to pass emmissions, and thus do not run right, you cannot have both in an air cooled 2 stroke engine, IMO.  Most always requires a bit of richening to get a saw to run as it should.  Even shops don't want to do it, as they can have fines levied on them by EPA or state clean air cops(DEQ) and the like.  Most any 2 stroke engine will run on a basic carb setting of both low and high screws turned all the way in then backed out 1 full turn.  from there it is a matter of tweaking the high and low screws a little in or out (usually no more than 1/4 to 1/2 turn either direction from the cardinal adjustent), to get it running well, starting easy and working correctly.  watch the videos, use the forum search tool to find more threads on saw tuning.  There is a ton of info out there.  It is not hard to do, even if you have never done it.  As far as gas/oil mix, I personally run 32:1, a lot of guys like 40:1, I only use 50:1 if I am using a real good grade of oil. Engines are not that picky on the mix, just don't do too little (leaner than a 50:1 mix), unless you are using a premium synthetic, like Amsoil).  Best of luck to you :) 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!