iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mystery Tree in Nova Scotia

Started by TreeHuggerNS, September 21, 2015, 10:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeHuggerNS

Hi, this is my first post, I've joined because I am looking for help in identifying a large tree in the woods behind my house. I couldn't get a really close look at the leaves since they're so far up, but I have some good close pictures of the bark. The picture with the book is a ruler in centimetres - I measured it to be about 60 cm in diameter. Thanks!

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, TreeHuggerNS.  Hang around after you get your tree identified.  You just might like it here.   :)

Are there any nuts on the ground or in the tree?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TreeHuggerNS

I didn't see any nuts on the ground, but a fair amount of bark had been shed over time. My husband wondered if it might have some kind of bark disease. I thought it might be an Ash, but the bark isn't furrowed like that, it overlaps in these plates. I'm not sure if we have shagbark hickory here in Nova Scotia. There are two other trees like this one but slightly smaller in the same area.

Magicman

Long vertical plates peeling at the ends, plus the leaves look right.  I agree with Beenthere above.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Welcome to the forum, that was my first thought also.  99.9% of what I know about trees (which isn't much) I've learned here, stick around, a lot of friendly folks with a lot of knowledge about everything hang out here  :)

GAB

I'm thinking it could be an Eastern Hop Hornbeam, aka hardhack, aka ironwood.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

TreeHuggerNS

I think Eastern Hop Hornbeam looks like the closest yet. I don't think it's Ash, though that was one of my first guesses, because the bark doesn't have furrows in it.

beenthere

Could indeed be that... pic of leaves may confirm.
Lack of hickory nuts would also confirm.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TreeHuggerNS

I thought maybe over the next month I might get a better chance of getting a leaf, perhaps if I'm there as they are falling I can catch one that I know for certain is from that tree, rather than a surrounding tree. Otherwise it's a bit of a climb!

Texas Ranger

Leaves looks pinnate compound.  'Spect no hornbeam
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

TreeHuggerNS

The thing I don't know how to tell is the difference between one compound leaf or several leaves arranged on a twig.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

TreeHuggerNS

Yes! I think that must be it! That book looks awesome! Thanks!

beenthere

QuoteYes! I think that must be it!

I didn't see a match with the leaves... seen in the photo.

How about this link for matching up your leaves...

http://forestry.about.com/od/treeidentification/tp/tree_key_id_hicash.htm

Toss a rope with a weight on it, up into the tree and see if you can get some leaves down for a closer look.
I would use a shotgun, but that may not work for you.  ;D
south central Wisconsin

Clark

My first inclination is ash, green or white with a nod towards white ash.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

SwampDonkey

Plain old ash, typical bark of older ash up here. They can get pretty big long limbs in open grown conditions. Too inhospitable for hickory in the Canadian Maritimes. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

snowshoveler

SwampDonkey nailed it...ash.
Leave it alone, it has a lot of growing yet to do.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

TreeHuggerNS

I've been wondering about using rope to get up the tree. I'm definitely not a gun type, and I usually hike in a dress.

Thank You Sponsors!