The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: leasing out to hunters  (Read 1790 times)

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
leasing out to hunters
« on: October 10, 2015, 02:33:28 PM »
Does anyone lease out to hunters via an agency?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
Re: leasing out to hunters
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 03:08:04 PM »
I believe that Mossy Oak offers a leasing service.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline LAForestry

• Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 09:13:06 AM »
check with some of the land and timber companies in the area your wanting a lease. Most of them around here offer leasing. I know RMS (Resource Management Services) offers land leasing for hunting and they are spread all across the south east, might wanna check their website and see if they have any listings available.

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 09:55:51 AM »
Thanks for that info but I was actually looking for information about leasing my land out.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 10:29:09 AM »
Yup, that is what I understood.  A leasing service is the middleman between the landowner and the lessee.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 11:09:58 AM »
Maybe I'm confused by LAF's post. Now that I've reread it it starts out like he's suggesting I check with the land and timber companies to see if they are interested in leasing and then it looks like he is saying I might find a lease from them. What am I reading that is not what you are saying?  :D

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 01:54:52 PM »
You can lease on your own, I lease clients land for them.  You need a signed lease, list of hunters (restrict the numbers) and require a hunting lease insurance package.  My insurance runs a little over $300 for a thousand acres.  They run year to year and you need to visit every now and then to find out what is going on.  Best bet is lease to an established group.  On the 1000 acres the leasee's are mostly all family members.  No alcohol policy, probably wont be effective, but,  you got to have it.  Leasing to locales is a saving grace, reputation and all can be checked.

If you go this route, I can send you my insurance source.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 02:35:53 PM »
Actually there's a little more to it. Lindy has the idea that if and when we move to Central America we can lease our place house and all to  well to do hunters for a year round hunting/vacation spot through an outfit called Hunting Lease Network. She's looking to get $2000 a month out of it. Leases are for a full year. Without actually signing on to this outfit she has talked to them and they are telling her they have put some feelers out about it and have gotten several inquiries. I'm not so sure about it all although it does seem to be a completely legit outfit. They do take a considerable cut though, 25%. They provide the liability insurance. Does anyone know anything about this outfit or this kind of deal? Anybody think it's feasible?

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 04:22:34 PM »
Which was why I mentioned Mossy Oak.  They do not presently have any lease land available, but they are in the business.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 08:21:59 PM »
Lee,

Never leased my own but if I were going to do so I think I would start with my local attorney for the contract and a local realtor for the actual finding a client and lease chacking. I'd check out the realtor first to see if they were interested and capable of checking up on the land. I would think you would need to provide a detailed list of restrictions/limitations for use of the land and facilities.

Do you want to retain access for you or your family? If so list how many and conditions, etc. Many hunters would not be willing to share, some might if the conditions/prices were right. Do you allow wood cutting on the place? Maintenance of the fences and gates? One technique to share access is using a chain and locking locks into other locks so any authorized person can use their key/lock.

I once listed some remote mountain land in N. Ga. (had to ford a creek, park in a corn field then walk a mile from there up an old un-drivable logging road/trail) with a name brand realtor and after several months I checked and the owner apologized and said his staff were not set up to sell undeveloped land and referred me to a friend, I contracted with them and they promptly sold it soon for me.

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline rooster 58

• GRIZ, the sawmill mgr.
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 08:07:05 AM »
I certainly  understand  why someone  would  want to lease their land. It sure helps to pay the taxes and such. It does make it difficult  for some folks to afford it. Especially someone who  has a few kids to think about.
     It just might eventually turn hunting into a rich man' sport

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Leasing a Bandmill

Started by EZ on Sawmills and Milling

1 Replies
Last post November 10, 2003, 06:31:46 PM
by beenthere
xx
Leasing a tractor trailer?

Started by Bridger on Forestry and Logging

5 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 08:25:47 AM
by Sawyerfortyish