The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Re: short legs?  (Read 4479 times)

Offline Erick

• Buy American it may be your job you save.
    • Share Post
Re: short legs?
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2004, 10:57:19 PM »
I was the one who said I felt the shorter bar was safer but I also said I like to have enough bar to make a single cut as dean can tell you after all I just bought a 48" bar from him. ;) Given the chioce I will always make a single cut as I think it is safer and less time consumeing. will always use enough bar but just enough to get the job done. :)
It's better to have it and not need it. Then to need it and not have it.

Offline Dean Hylton

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Washington Hot Saws
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2004, 10:00:43 AM »
I was just stirring the pot for fun Eric.   I know there are a lot of people in here that think a longer bar is more dangerous than a short one ???  Chainsaws are dangerous period and deserve tremendous respect whether it is an 011 or a modified 066. Chain makes hamburger mighty quick. I am not sure that carrying and extra pound and a half is going to tire some one out any more than bending over all day.  Also how is it more dangerous having a bar sticking out the other side of a tree?  The only time I have ever seen a bar get dangerous because of the length  is when they get over 36" and get whippy and throw chain when a guy swings it too fast. That  though is only from lack of respect for the saw.  Of couse I do agree that the saw has to be balanced for the guy using it and if he does not feel comfortable with something the he should not use it. Nothing wrong with not feeling comfortable with something.  So have you gotten the chance to play with that bar yet?  by the way if your saw is still down  I picked up a running Stihl 090 Yesterday if you  need it and are interested let me know.

Offline Erick

• Buy American it may be your job you save.
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2004, 03:21:18 AM »
Dean,
      I finally got to play with the new toy (its an 084 not 090) yesterday.  8) 8) 8)worked it out on a 39" oak all I can say is ITS A BAEST..... ;D smiled the whole time. My neighbor came over to see my new dirt bike and was pretty suprised to see a saw warming up instead. The look on his face was a kodak moment the site of that saw w/ 4 foot of bar is pretty rare around here. We were both smiling after the first cut the saw barley even slowed down. needless to say everyone has herd and I now have plenty of big wood to cut. Thanks
It's better to have it and not need it. Then to need it and not have it.

Offline ksu_chainsaw

• KSU Wildcats
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2004, 04:22:53 AM »
my favorite saw is the 041 farm boss with a 16" bar on it for working around the farm.  I dont need to carry around a huge bar on it for most things, as we use it for fixing fence, clearing around the edge of the field or removing cedar trees from the pasture.  I would not want to have to sharpen a longer chain as we hit a lot of metal and rocks in what we are cutting.  On the other hand, when I am out cutting firewood or sawlogs, I take the 041 with a 20" bar and the 044 with a 24" or 36" bar.  In the timbers that I am working in, those bars are more than enough for what I am cutting, and even then, the 044 bogs down when I have that 36" bar buried into the red oaks or hedge trees that we have.

Thats just what I do, but everyone has their own way of doing things

Charles

Offline MULE_MAN

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2004, 05:19:23 AM »
Well my 2 cents is I just always like to use the saw that best fits the job . If  I'm doing
smaller stuff, I use a lighter & easier to handle saw.  I guess it's just what ever
a person is comfortable with using . Of course I guess I'm just getting OLD, Always
looking how it can be done easier  :D :D :D ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Offline John_Boisselier

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2004, 12:15:05 AM »
Balance is very important.  An 084 is balanced with a 36" bar, a 066 is balanced with a 24"-28", and an 044 with a 20"-24".  The biggest problem is that no matter how a saw feels when carrying it, it belongs in a tree more than at your side.  It takes more time to cut a tree twice, than having a bar long enough to cut it once smoothly.  I vote both ways, depending on the type of timber, it's average size, and how fast your saw will take it down.  Just take good care of that timber, and don't shorten your legs.
The Woodsman

Offline DanManofStihl

• Full Member x2
  • Cut em down Dan
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2004, 06:28:19 PM »
I was wondering if i read you right ksu_chainsaw you run a 36 inch bar on stihl 044 that seems awful small for a 36 inch bar I run one on my 066 and would never run it on my ms 440. Do you have it modified or something just wondering if it works it works.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Short day, short week!

Started by Woodhauler on Forestry and Logging

5 Replies
Last post November 30, 2016, 10:06:46 PM
by starmac
xx
WM legs

Started by Peter Drouin on Sawmills and Milling

11 Replies
Last post October 12, 2010, 08:58:31 PM
by woodmills1