iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hey all you Southern guys!

Started by DanG, September 29, 2004, 10:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Have you noticed?  We're not even out of September, yet, and all those folks in the North are starting to talk about wood stoves! ;D :D ;D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Woodcarver

We'll soon be doing more than talking about it. The gas furnace kicked in last night.  Given the price of propane, I don't intend to allow that to happen very often.

Now, on the other hand, the air conditioner was never on this summer.  :) :)
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

ohsoloco

I think the woodstove will be firing again tonight  :)

Air conditioner  ???   Oh, you mean the nice, cool breeze coming off of the mountain  ;D

Murf

One of my crews was in Northern Ontario a month ago and got snowed on ....  :'(

But in some of those areas I noticed the highways people don't even bother to take the signs warning about the hazards of white-outs down for the summer........maybe they know something we don't .... ;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Bibbyman

Down to 44 degrees this morning.  About time to call in one more dowg for the bed!  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Larry

Thought I was the only one that did that.  You know it was really really cold when somebody tells ya it was a 4 dowg night. ;D ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

MULE_MAN

Hey Bibbyman

I have some nice Reg. Black & Tan pups For Sale .

Come on down & I'll fix you up for the winter  ;D

Is not being house broke a problem   :D :D :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Bibbyman

Pups ain't big enough to sleep with.  They're handy for holdin' on your lap or settin' on your feet.

Heard a story told by a clerk down at the Stedman bank.....

It was cold wintertime and this farmwoman came in to do some banking. She was wearing insulated coveralls - nothing unusual about that in a farm community.

But the clerk notices that something was moving under the woman's coveralls.  The woman saw her looking so she unzipped her coveralls part way down and pull out a couple of pups.  Said she didn't have a heater in the truck so that's how she kept them warm.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Norm

We got our first light frost last night. Guess I should start thinking about firewood for the winter. :D

Bill_B

There was a lot of frost on the grass here this morning.
The late planted soybeans across the road had the tops frosted.
Bill B

jgoodhart

I started think about firewood 2 weeks ago when it was cool outside, got 3 cord stacked under the deck and another cord or more laying cut up and 6 oak trees to drag in yet. Sank the tractor in all but to the axle the weekend after Ivan dumped on us when I drove over a winter spring, What's up with that :o
The outside boiler likes to have aleast 12 cord of wood to eat over the winter :-[

Furby

Don't have a furnace or wood burner, at this point.
Guess I don't have to worry about them high fuel costs, eh? ;)
Well..............the water heater don't shut off, that could be a problem. :-/

DanG

No furnace in Michigan?  That don't sound good.  :o  If you want, I could ship you a couple of dowgs. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

:D :D :D :D
Trying to stay away from them dowgs!
Yeah, it was in the low 30's lastnight, no big deal.

Norm

I had a bunch of white oak slabs from sawing this weekend.. a  pain in the hind end to move around. A buddy of mine that works for ups asked if he could cut them up for firewood. Ahhh sure help yourself, he got some good firewood and I got free help cleaning up the sawshed.

chet

Da lube system on da mill had ta be thawed out da last two mornin's ta saw.   :(  
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Furby

OneWithWood

Bibby, we got some of that low 40s stuff night before last.  Looks like we might see some more over the weekend.  The leaves are turning rapidly and falling with the slightest breeze.  We are so dry here that the first rain will bring them all down.  My sweet wife is worried about her tropical plants and though she tries not to be too pushy, she has mentioned that the furnace still needs hooked up and the big greenhouse still is just a big slab and do I really think the few ricks of wood I have brought in so far will last unitl I can get the rest up? ??? ::) ;) :) :D ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Woodcarver

Mid-thirtys here the last two nights. Surprisingly, our Cana lilies took if fairly well.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

DanG

OWW, you sound more like me all the time. :D :D :D  I always put everything off till the last minute. My thinking is, I might drop dead, and would get out of doing it at all, that way. ;D

When my own Darling Bride suggested that I pick up the pace a little bit, I said, "I do my best work under pressure."
Wrong answer!  Says she, "That's the only time you do ANY work!" >:(

:D :D :D

Engineer

Wuz in the high thirties here last night, no frost on the punkins yet, but it's close.  I got thirty cord of wood stacked and no woodstove yet.   ;D

Actually it's about half "normal" firewood and half slabwood from the mill, since that's what we've cut in the past year to get the house built.

I posted a while back about outdoor boilers, looks like I'll be getting a Central Boiler model.. The local dealer has a pretty good rep.

abeyanko414

I think that this is the first time I've seen this many Wisconsin guys respond to a thread. But then again there talking about the COLD.

There's just something about Wisconsin. Here's a little something for my WI friends. If you're not from WI, you might not have the foggiest idea why I think it's so DanG funny.

If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 18 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by,

If you have ever refused to buy something because it's "too spendy",

If your local Dairy Queen is closed from September through May

If you instinctively walk like a penguin for five months out of the year

If someone in a store offers you assistance, and they don't work there,

If your dad's suntan stops at a line curving around the middle of his forehead

If you have worn shorts and a parka at the same time

If your town has an equal number of bars and churches

If you have had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number

If you know how to say Weyawega, Waukesha, Manitowac, Oconomowoc, Cayuga, Fon Du Lac, or Sheboygan

If you think that ketchup is a little too spicy

Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor on the highway.

"Vacation" means going up north past Green Bay for the weekend.

You measure distance in hours.

You know several people who have hit deer more than once.

You often switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day and back again.

Your whole family wears Packer Green to church on Sunday

You can drive 65 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging
blizzard without flinching.

You see people wearing hunting clothes at social events.

You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.

You think of the major food groups as beer, fish, and venison.

You carry jumper cables in your car and your girlfriend knows how to use them.

There are 7 empty cars running in the parking lot at Mill's Fleet Farm at any given time.

You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.

Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled
with snow.

You refer to the Packers as "we."

You know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and
road construction.

You can identify a southern or eastern accent.

You consider Milwaukee exotic

You don't have a coughing fit from one sip of Pig's Eye Pilsner.

Your idea of creative landscaping is a statue of a deer next to
your blue spruce.

You were unaware that there is a legal drinking age.

Down South to you means Illinois

A brat is something you eat.

Your neighbor throws a party to celebrate his new machine shed.

You go out to fish fry every Friday.

You know how to polka.

Your 4th of July picnic was moved indoors due to frost.

You have more miles on your snow blower than your car.

You find 0 degrees "a little chilly."

sawguy21

That explains a lot. My grandfather was from Wisconsin and he had some interesting ideas.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Blake22

I've been thinkin 'bout firewood too, because I don't remember the last day that I didn't have a tree to clean-up from one of those 400 hurricanes. Anybody need firewood? Come see me.
I sure am ready for a cool snap. Just hope I can find a pair of long pants.  ;D
Blake

sawguy21

Hey DanG, you got any hotels left standing a guy can visit this winter when it's 40 below here. I'm getting too old for that nonsense and the coast rain doesn't do anything for me either.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pappy

We've been down into the mid 20's this past week and we also had some snow flurries  :o :o

Supposed to be mid 60's today and tomorrow -- Super I'll be able to get the roof on the camp.

Glad all our fire wood is in the cellar.  We be almost ready.
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

DanG

Come on down, sawguy! :)  There should be plenty of hotel rooms available by then. If you can't find one, I can always fluff up the hay in the barn for a cozy spot to flop in. Might put you to work, though. ;D :D

Murf

Wisconsin is close to Ontario.

Now it seems even closer..........

Except you forgot a couple;

Fire is something you make and sit around, not report.

Summer is the three weeks that the snowmobiling is poor.

You think cheese is made from milk, not 'edible petroleum by-products'.

Timber_Framer

...and the deer season opener is a viable excuse to miss work or school.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Murf

It's a public holiday in some parts of Ontario......

Mind you, most of those parts resound to the sounds of Banjo music after dark, and 'bumpkin' is a social practice not a term to decribe someone............ ::)

Here Bambi, Bambi...........

ohsoloco

The schools around here finally learned a thing or two and it is now a holiday for the first day of buck season.  When I was younger there used to be a line of kids out the office door that were "sick" the first day of buck  :D

Furby

Yeah, some schools in Michigan allow several days off during dear season, as long as it's for hunting.

rbarshaw

Now I know i've been living down here too long ;D, it's 65 outside now, i've got to bring in the dowg, and need a jacket to do that :D. The first 18 years of my life were in Michigan and i remember 45 was short sleeve weather :o.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

ARKANSAWYER

Bow season for deer opened last weekend and my biggest problem was finding my short legged camo pants and some more bug spray for the skeetters.   We should not see a frost till about mid Nov when gun deer season opens.  But just so you northern guys know they do make hunter orange "T" shirts for Southern hunts.  No! I did not kill a deer opening weekend as that would be stupid.  I only have 3 tags and the season runs till Feb.  No since ruining a good chance to go hunting before I even get started good. ;D
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Timber_Framer

I think it was about four years ago that I was hunting in an orange t-shirt up here and then last season it was -10 :o
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

dave7191

rbarshaw so i'm not the only transplant out of Mich   we just passed our eariest frost here in SW Missouri  last night but may not see one till oct 10 or later  
how about going swiming the first day it hit 60* out it didn't mater that the water was 38* oh to be that young again now at 50* i've got my long sleve shirt on to do the chores and at 45* my barn coat is found
Thanks for the memoreis
Dave
 :D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!