iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watching the DEBATE...

Started by DanG, September 30, 2004, 07:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

and I have reached a conclusion.

That's some purty Red Oak them podiums is made of. ;D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

;D ;)
Now where did it come from???
 ;)

Rocky_J

David Limbaugh is posting a running commentary as the debate progresses.
http://www.davidlimbaugh.com/blog.aspx

DanG

Well, they're speaking in Florida, and we got a whole lot of oak on the ground from the hurricanes. I can only conclude that it was imported from Finland, via Canada, who purchased it from Brian Bailey for a song. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gilman

Nice podiums but it should have been 1/4 sawn.  I really like that 1/4 sawn look.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

DanG

Naw, flat-sawn is purtier than that q-sawn stuff. You must be a democrat. ;D

Actually, the debate made me proud. They got through the whole thing, and nobody slobbered on that purty Red Oak.

oldsaw

They are being so nice to each other its enough to make you want to throw bricks at the TV.

The podiums were nice though.  I noticed that too.  Design was a bit chunky, but wood looked good.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Furby

J_T

I vote yes on the oak toss the rest out :D :D
Jim Holloway

CHARLIE

It will be interesting to see if they have diverse podiums for the other two debates. I mean.......they shouldn't slight pine or elm or maple or ........hmmmmmm.....I think they are going to have to have more than 3 debates to make sure all the woods get equal time.   ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

What about plastics and metal? Those folks are gonna raise hob if all the podiums are made of wood. :o ::) :D :D :D

Corley5

True wood lovers.  I must have been the only one watching the actual debate and didn't even notice the podium. ::) ::) ;) ;D  Sorry guys I'll pay closer attention next time and watch for the podiums in the clips on the news tonight ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Norm

The one thing I noticed was Mr Kerry seemed to have used the same color of stain for his tan as the podium. ;D

Brian_Bailey

DanG,  how'd my name get involved in this thread?  ???

Yeah, I'm singing all the way to the bank :D :D I just haven't figured out what song I'm singing :D.

Got a flier yesterday from Woodcraft.  Their featured wood of the month this time is cherry. They'll let you have some  13/16 S2S for $7.20 a bf.  :o  What a deal, now there's a song for ya!

Getting back to the subject of the thread.

I watched and listened to the debate last nite and kept thinking to myself it sure is too bad that we can't harness all this hot air and put it to some real use, Gawd I hate politics!

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

OneWithWood

I have to admit those podiums were made out of some real fine wood.  I am sure it was Indiana Red Oak.  Probably came from my woods  :D

The debate was so structured that no real information about the candidates was allowed to surface.  The two men are excellent debaters and an actual civil debate between the two would be worth watching.  Unfortunately neither candidate has enough confidence in their skills or arguments to let that happen.

But that wood sure was pretty!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

redpowerd

yep, no good arguments, one of the two didnt have a platform to argue on, im not sayin who, but whenever he spoke i found myself looking at the grain in the wood and becoming mesmorized by them little lights on the top of the podium under the mike.
were those little blinkers transmitting subliminal messages? red when leheir didnt like the topic or tone of voice? hmm, mighty suspisious. :D
actually im sure dan rather explained what they were for, i just block him out! :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Kevin_H.

QuoteThe one thing I noticed was Mr Kerry seemed to have used the same color of stain for his tan as the podium. ;D

Holy Cow...Now that is funny...Do ya think two coats or 3?
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

karl

I've had folks tell me I was missin' out by not following the debates- looks like they wus right-
I like wood, as for the candidates, weelll let's jus say I wish  I could trust 'em.

There's a bumper sticker in the neighborhood that says
"the trouble with the US is that anyone can be President"

Personally, I think it is the good folks in this country that make it great. And occasionally we have one in office.

Sure would like to see that podium...how much does something like that cost if you are a government agency?? ;)
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

CHARLIE

Well Karl, let me do a little figuring here. Based on the fact that the gov'ment paid $53,000 dollars for a hammer and over $10,000 for a toilet seat a few years back, I 'd guess they paid over $100,000 for one of those podiums. But because they bought two, they got a deal and only had to pay $300,000 for the both of 'em.  Now that they are done with them, they will be torn apart and dumped into a hazardous landfill for about $25,000.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

redpowerd

......still wondering what them little lites were for..........

yall know what im talkin about?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Brian_Bailey

Yeah,  Jim Leher (sp) the moderator explained them before the debate began.  

Green -  Flap your yap.

Yellow - 30 sec. left to flap the yap.

Solid Red - 15 sec. left to flap the yap.

Flashing Red - Stop flapping the yap.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

karl

Alright Charlie!!!
A fellow cynic!! 8)

I think Red may lean that way too ;)

"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

CHARLIE

Ahhh yes, the diversity of podiumism is alive and well. Last time it was the warmth and beauty of Red Oak. This time it was the cold hard strength of metal.  But did you notice the steel was supported by wood? :)  What will the next debate bring.......Plastic? :o
Charlie

chet

My biggest debate last night was weather or not to put ice cream on my fresh apple pie. Desitions....desitions.  :-/
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

DanG

I didn't make it to the pie and ice cream. Fell asleep in the middle of the debate. Exciting, weren't it? :D :D  

Thank You Sponsors!