iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

metal detectors

Started by stihltoomany, October 25, 2015, 06:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stihltoomany

I seem to remember a thread about metal detectors, but can't find it even with search. What are you using and do you trust it? Looking to spend a $100 or $200. Want the most bang for my buck like everyone. Will be sawing higher risk trees soon. Brand and model numbers would be great. Thinking I want a wand style but don't know if they are sensitive enough. Thanks
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

Magicman

When you do a forum search for "metal detector", check the box beside; "Search in topic subjects only".  That will give the thread titles that contain the search words.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stihltoomany

It also helps if you spell detecter properly. detector. lol Sorry for the interruption. Any new info always welcome. Been reading some old threads lots of good info. Garrett seems to be popular.
and other dirt toys
WoodMizer LT40 super

Nomad

Quote from: stihltoomany on October 25, 2015, 06:37:39 PM
I seem to remember a thread about metal detectors, but can't find it even with search. What are you using and do you trust it? Looking to spend a $100 or $200. Want the most bang for my buck like everyone. Will be sawing higher risk trees soon. Brand and model numbers would be great. Thinking I want a wand style but don't know if they are sensitive enough. Thanks

I do a lot of resaw work for a place that deals in reclaimed wood.  They use a wand type detector.  Don't know the brand but it's real fast, accurate, and easy to use.  After buying a half dozen or so bands, they figured it out pretty good.  For their application, that thing works just fine!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

jmouton

sure could have used one today  3   2inch screws  one for each  blade ,,,ouch   ,,,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

stihltoomany

and other dirt toys
WoodMizer LT40 super

Robert Owens

The Garrett hand held wand types do a good job and are right at $100. I have a couple in use at school to check students so got one for myself. It's found nails a couple inches deep in the wood but that's the only experience I have with it so not sure how deep it will detect.

Kingmt

For logs I wouldn't suggest the handhelds. For reclaimed wood more then likely the metal is going to be at the surface but in a log it is likely to be deeper from growth around the metal. I use a deep metal detector for this. Sometimes it is still iffy on big logs.

I got a bounty hunter from Walmart for about & $200.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

Thank You Sponsors!