iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cheap stump disposal - burning best?

Started by EdK, October 01, 2004, 01:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdK

I had a lot cleared and I'd like to rid myself of some stumps. The excavator buried a bunch of them but of course I still have more :'(

I got quotes from two on-site shredders: around $8K each  :o

I'd like to think burning would be a good route to "lose" the rest of them. My local fire chief is OK with it. What's a good way to proceed? I've got a tractor to handle them with. Common sense suggests they'd burn quite a bit better split but that appears difficult. They should be pretty dry - been in a pile in the open about 18 months. They're about 2/3 white and red pine and 1/3 mixed hardwood averaging 12-14" in diameter.

Experiences and suggestions would be appreciated!

Murf

We've had good luck burning them in a pit, but getting air to the bottom of the fire is the trick.

We dig a good-sized pit and bury an old culvert or two under the berm and out into the bottom, then put in a bunch of tinder, dry branches or something, then pile the stumps in on top. Before starting it put some 'accelerant' on the kindling and lay a fuse, an old hemp rope soaked in kerosene works good, so that you don't lose your eyebrows (or worse) lighting the whole mess.

The culverts suck in cold air and turn the pit into a blast furnace, those stumps don't like to burn unless you get them really good and hot and put lots of air to them. If you just pile them up and light them they just smolder forever.

Just be careful if you decide to add more stumps once it's going, I've seen more than just a few melted grills and hydraulic lines from getting a machine to close to a good burn. We make a good pile in the pit then burn it all, after the fire is nearly out, down to just coals, then we add more and start the fire over again.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

etat

I can tell ya another real good accelerant for starting a wood or brush fire.  Burns slow, and hot.  I'm serious now, it will burn about twice as long as desiel or keresone..  Regular gas, mixed with regular ole washing powders, like you wash clothes with.  Also it doesn't take much.  I usually mix about half a gallon of  washing powder, and cover it good with gas and mix it up just a bit. Somehow them washing powders soaks up that gas and releases the fumes slowly as it burns.                                          
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

ScottAR

You just described what is basicly naplam...   Be careful...  
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Timber_Framer

Yup, and if you were to add a bit of desiel and the proper ammount of soap it will jell....it'll do the job but be careful!
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Quartlow

Ya'll are dangerous  :D :D :D :D :D Of course thats why I like coming here

I've done stumps like  Murf does, works like a champ!!!

And you don't need napalm ;D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

beenthere

The idea has been presented here on how to mix soap and gas, as well as soap and diesel.
The words "its napalm" and "just be careful" were added.

How about telling us more about how to be careful with this material?  It would be appreciated, as reports on napalm use have been pretty dramatic.  :o

It is reminding me of the weather reporters giving the tornado advice, to "go to a safe place"!   Now who knows where that safe place is before the tornado hits? Easy to tell who made that wise decision after the tornado has passed by.  :)

What could happen (I know, get burned) if one was "not careful" ?

This mixture sounds like it might burn like a flare - hot but not explosive. Will it explode, or just burn hot?  
Is it easy to put out the 'mixture' using water, and conventional means?

Seems I have an itch now to try some and see what will happen. Or I'll just stick to throwing a can of gas on to kick the fire up a bit.  ;D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

etat

Honest, I did NOT know what I was mixing up was same as or kin to napalm.  Just sumpthin somebody showed me one time and I've been doing it ever since when starting a hard to start brush pile.  ::)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

etat

It is much less explosive than just regular gas. At least burning out in the open like in a brush pile.  Burns slow and hot.  I never tried to make a bomb outta it, or throw it on a hot fire, just wanted to burn some green brush now and again.

etat

Also, normally gasoline does not burn.  Normally it is the 'fumes' that burn.  You can put a small amount of gas in a tin can and very carefully light it and it will slowly burn off the fumes.  Just make sure to not turn the can over, then it'll go up all at once. Not an expert but I 'think' the soap helps contain the fumes and releases them slowely, or slower than just plain gas.

beenthere

cktate
Sounds good to me.
Thanks.
Dear wife will wonder where the 1/2 box of Tide went.  ::)

Anyone know of any other dangers beyond this?  Stick to your skin and catch fire, and can't get it off, for example?  

Now this is when you really need to be careful. He's even barefoot, but has his safety glasses on.  :)

The script says something to the effect:
Moron: Using electric tool, in a pool, on a metal ladder, standing barefoot as well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ScottAR

Beenthere,  think flaming, sticky gasoline.   Contact cement also springs to mind.  
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

beav

I make brushfire " bombs" with a plastic shopping bag filled with planer shavings. Pour about a half a quart of used motor oil into it ( no more than will soak in) and let it soak up for a day or so. I make several of them up in advance of a good burn. They burn slow and hot. Excellent in the rain, when we have to burn.
   Seems they might work in the woodstove as well! :)

Bro. Noble

Of course you could always use what nature has providid for that purpose--------pine knots or old tires ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Haytrader

The mix you boys describe is what we called "foo gas".
It was mixed in 55 gallon drums and placed around the perimeter of LZ's along with claymores (sp) and trip flares and concertina wire. Behind the barrels (our side) were half culverts so that when the "foo gas" was detonated, the globs of burning slime would go every where cept back towards the LZ and us.

I would use Bro. Nobles or beav's ideas for peace time brushpile burning.
 ;)
Haytrader

EdK

Thanks to Murf and others for the tips. I've had no trouble starting fires but I'll keep the napalm idea in my hip pocket  :)

Has there been any experience with the culvert melting?

Also I'm pretty careful with my tractor around the heat. Just before I got mine a friend told me about how he had melted his hydraulic hoses which then resulted in a fire on the front end of his machine fed by the tractor's hydraulic oil and pump!

Haytrader

EdK,

The culverts were distorted but reusable.

If your friend got a hydraulic hose on fire, he was WAY to close.
My brother and I used to custom burn CRP grass. We got in some situations where we had to work closer to the fire than we would have liked resulting in plastic tail light lenses melting a little. That occupation will take years off yer life.
 ;)
Haytrader

FiremanEd

Now with this being fire safety week and all I shouldn't admit this.

But hypotheticly (sp) speaking. If you were to take an old 5 gallon bucket that you didn't need, put 4 gallons of diesel in it, add a qt or so of gasoline. (mabye even finishing to fill up the bucket) mix it up real well. Take it up on top of the slab pile and turn it upside down to drain out. Then climb down, take your time so the mixture has plenty of time to drain out the bucket and to the bottom of the pile, go up wind 30+ ft, light a fuzzie (road flare) and underhand toss it into the 'wet zone' you could make pretty quick disposal of a very very large slab pile, even in the pouring down rainstorm we had last week. Not that I would recommend this for the uninitiated or faint of heart but it's pretty cool!!

Oh yea, make sure there isn't anything within 200+ ft of this pile that you don't want to burn or melt. (even in the rain)

Gotta run, I'm at work today and have to go give a fire safety talk....   ;D  :(   (yes I am bad, but in a good way)
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Gilman

Burnt quite a few stumps and the best and coolest way I've found is to either use a squirel cage fan (if I have electricity nearby) or a gas powered leaf blower on idle.  When using the squirel cage I have to put a piece of sheet metal in front of the motor to block the radiant heat.  On the leaf blower I put the air exhaust tube into a 3" x 20' steel pipe and aim the steel pipe at the base of the fire. I've had to use a heat shield on the gas blower too.  

This method will completely burn up stumps in about 1/10 the time.  So be careful about radiant heat!

Could we get a photo of your stump pile?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

EdK

Gilman et al,

Of course I'd be willing to snap a photo but I'm guessing all of you firebugs only want to see the pile fully ablaze right?  :D

I won't be able to touch off such a fire for a couple of months yet but I wanted to make preparations before the winter weather makes progress difficult.

How about a big blower on one end of a culvert?  8)

Gilman

Ed,
Of course we're wanting to see the glory of a good stump fire but maybe you could post us a teaser we can dream about burning for the next two months.  That way if we are having trouble getting to sleep we could count the BTU's instead of sheep.  ;D

Big, bigger, biggest blower at the end of the culvert!  8)

FiremanEd

Gilman, We just burnt last week, it'll be a couple months before I get a pile "worthy" of burning. You'll probably have your pics up by then. I like to wait until dusk, it's a cool bon fire.

Just remember to call the non-emergency number for your local fire department and let them know you're gonna have a controlled burn. Then have fun.
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Gilman

Hmmm, never thought of calling them BEFORE they call you  :-[

Murf

Speaking of burning brush & stuff, anybody ever been the the bush when it was this dry?

Kinda puts even that home-brewed Napalm into perspective now don't it?
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Thank You Sponsors!