iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

slapped my leg with the saw today

Started by SFires, November 08, 2015, 08:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFires

Yep it happens and no I didn't have chaps lesson learned I'll have some in the future
A man can always use more tools, more space,more wood, and a whole lot more time.

David-L

Glad you are good to go. Looks like chaps would have saved the day. Next pair I buy will be full wraps.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

SFires

Here's another pic. Looks WAY worse then watch it was
A man can always use more tools, more space,more wood, and a whole lot more time.

Spartan

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SFires

First off how it happened. Dull chain dead limb and leg in way the wrong place lol. And secondly yes I'm VERY VERY LUCKY it wasn't worse then what it was.

Banjo picker

Sometimes it takes a wake up call like that to get us to wear our ppe.  I had to get a lick on the head to get me to wear a hard hat.  Lesson learned.  Hope that heals up ok.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SFires

Banjo sadly I'm a crew Forman for a tree service where I work at and I have to remind ppl on a daily basis to wear there chaps but when I'm cutting in my own woods .......... well you seen what happens

redprospector

Yep, that's gonna feel better when it quits hurting.  ;)
That's not a common place to cut yourself with a saw. My wake up wasn't that bad. Almost ripped my pants off, but just a few scratches.
Hope you heal quickly, and that you don't get too much flack at work.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

beenthere

Sfires

Thanks for being humble and posting here.  Nothing speaks better than pics that it happened.

A great lesson for all...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kensfarm

Welcome to the Forum.  Looks pretty nasty..  here's hoping you heal fast!  Did you go see the doctor? 

Pine Ridge

Sfires I never wore chaps until a few years ago,  but we are all human and accidents happen. I feel for ya, I hope it doesn't cause you too much trouble because thats gotta hurt. Thats a real wake up call for all of us. Wishing you a speedy healing process !
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

bigblue12v

Ouch! Glad it wasn't worse. It's hard for me to force myself to use ppe every single time. Especially when I'm working in good conditions or just need to make a couple cuts. A lot of times it's hard to see how chaps might help me in some situations but I think like anything else it's just a matter of forcing myself to make it a habit. I won't do anything without glasses (gotten too much dust dirt etc in my eyes over the years and almost lost an eye once while wearing safety glasses). Hard hat isn't too hard to force myself to wear usually. It's the chaps and gloves I'm likely to skip, especially bucking firewood in my yard. Thanks for the reminder that it can and will happen anytime you let your guard down. Speedy recovery my friend!
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

coxy

glad your ok hope you heel quick      im not going to say anything cause you know  :)

windy hill farm

First off sorry to see that you got hurt. That being said IT takes a big man to admit when he screwed up. I can't speak for everyone, but I learned a lot of lessons the hard way. I think anyone that has ever used a chainsaw has some close calls with a saw. Thanks again for sharing, worst part now is you'll never hear the end of this from your crew.
New Holland TN-60DA, Farmi Winch 501,Rhino 9.5ft 3pt backhoe,Sthil 440,361,270, 170 and O26 and several trailers.

g_man

Glad you came away lucky. That was close.
When I was a young man I was cutting firewood in Groton State park w/o any protection which was common back in the day. A ranger came by for an inspection. He walked up with a limp. Held up his hand, the thumb and index finger were missing. Then he pulled up his pant leg so I could see why he limped so badly. He just said you should get yourself some chaps and gloves. That was all it took for me to start wearing protective gear. Hopefully your photo and experience will convince others to protect themselves too.

gg

lynde37avery

#1 rule in logging safety first. I learned and taught my younger nephews. I basically live in my chaps. Hope it heals good. yall saw what a 372 just did to my foot last march. I slowed things down in the woods a bit.
Detroit WHAT?

pine

Sorry for your injury.  Thanks for reminding all of us the importance of our PPE.  It is not just chaps we should be wearing but as was alluded to above, footwear is important as well. Class 3 boots are worth the investment.

SFires

Isn't there a saying about bad luck or no luck. Did this this morning while trying to get out of bed. Lol. Thanks for all the well wishes from everyone. Wife finally talked me into going to get stitches so I guess it's off to the hospital for me

sawguy21

Sheesh man, what are we going to do with you? ::)  I have never injured myself with a chain saw yet being the operative word but have scared myself a few times. We need to slow down and be completely aware of our surroundings even when getting out of bed. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SineWave

OUCH! Sorry to hear that and hope you heal up fast.

Be careful out there ... lots of ways to get hurt!

Banjo picker

We started cutting trees on the ROW for our state roads here in Tishomingo Co. Miss. today.  I showed your pic. to most of the guys to try to get them to wear their chaps.  I wear mine religiously, but I can't get the other guys to wear them.  There is two brand new pair still in the box in the truck.  I cut most of the trees we cut, but I am trying to convince them that it only takes once to do some major damage.  On the dr. visit, will they stitch you up after its been done for a while, I thought it had to be fresh.  Hope you are ok.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

larry1

Your are lucky my friend , but I can't imagine the pain . Just this am I grabbed the 61 to brush for a lean-to for winter storage ---never had a hat , glasses or chaps --dumb me

lopet

Bar oil can cause blood poisoning. Better get a shot for that and yeah, it looks like you could use a few stitches.  You'll be up and running again in no time.
Watch your steps, when getting out of bed !!!!! ;D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Thank You Sponsors!