iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: DanGed cabbage worms.  (Read 1760 times)

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
DanGed cabbage worms.
« on: November 10, 2015, 12:07:30 AM »
   I have 2 cabbage plants and about 100 cabbage worms. Are they eating any one else's cabbage up like they are eating mine? I do not use any pesticides or fertilizer but this is getting bad. I kill at least 10 a day, and when I first noticed them I probably got 25 of them. I am wondering if they will eventually quit turning up. Does a frost stop them or does anyone have any other suggestions? Right now I just smush the little scumbags. I will say they squirt pretty far. Especially the big ones :D
Man makes plans and God smiles

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: DanGed cabbage worms.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 07:50:30 AM »
    Don't have any cabbage plants. How are the worms for fish bait? You may have a new use for cabbages.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 09:34:15 AM »
They might be good for bait if you used a small hook and were very careful when putting them on the hook. I do not let them get that big, because they are eating the cabbage so quickly. I kill them as soon as I see them. Some are 1/8" of an inch, some get to maybe a little over an inch before I smush them, and they are very soft.

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 02:52:50 PM »
 I smushed about 50 today. Just for FYI I have what they call the "Looper" type. They are from a Moth. The fish bait thing is definitely out. They are too small when I smush them.

Offline ESFted

• Full Member x2
  • Just a chain saw, so far.
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 03:55:10 PM »
I have the same problem on my broccoli, collards and kale.  Hand picking is an option.  Thuricide is a better option (natural pest control using Bacillus thuringiensis). If the temperatures are right (cool) you can build a tunnel and cover the plants with Agribon...this is the absolute best.
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-1025-quick-hoops-low-tunnels.aspx
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S
Dreams of a Wm LT70

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 07:15:28 PM »
   Sounds like they might be big enough for bait as I use a small/#10 cricket hook (thin wire hook with long shank so you can get it out without killing small fish) and about 3/4" piece of nightcrawler for bait to catch small fish for catfish bait (Granddaughters love it as fast action) but if they are soft doesn't sound ideal.

Good luck getting rid of them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 11:12:06 PM »
They are getting my brusel sprouts and broccoli as well. Thanks for the info. I will keep smushing them by hand for a couple more days and see if they stop coming. If not, I will see about that BT stuff. I squirted out the cabbage today with a lot of pressure from the hose to wash away their waste and hopefully knocked off any eggs.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 07:56:09 AM »
Soapy water will kill most insects.  Wonder what it would do with your worms?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 11:03:41 AM »
   I tried soapy water, to no avail. They still keep coming. I have smushed a whole bunch and it seems to be helping. I am now only getting a few a day, not like it has been being. Thanks for the tip though. I think it will be some very good cabbage. I quarter the heads and feed 3 other families with 1 head. They are called "Megalodon". They get as big as a basketball.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 01:07:55 PM »
So I take it the worms don't make it into the inside of the cabbage..  ??
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline bama20a

• Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 03:47:50 PM »
Don't know about cabbage worms,But I've spray with dawn dishwashing soap,about a tablespoon to a gallon of water on other Veg,& it works well. Best thing I've ever found for peas.Sure want hurt to try it.
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 06:51:18 PM »
Some made it to the inside but I pulled back the leaves until I saw them, then I smushed them. I used the Dawn dishwashing liquid with probably 3 tablespoons to a hand sprayer, like what 409 or bathroom cleaner comes in. It is a new sprayer, I think it holds 1 quart. I sprayed them but they kept coming. I have them pretty much under control, they are eating the brussel sprout leaves the most. If 1 gets by in the cabbage when we boil it, I sure hope it floats to the top before anyone eats it. As some folks say, they have to eat too :D However I surely would not like to bit one.

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 11:55:06 AM »
  I think I have smushed them all. We had some cold weather(for down here) down in the low 30's and it looks like that has helped quite a bit. I have not seen any in about a week.

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 07:06:49 PM »
  The worms did not win. I quartered the second cabbage and it fed 4 families. 2 in each family. Elderly or experienced folks. It was plenty for each. I really like the "Megaladon" cabbage. They get as big as a basketball. We ate ours the first of the year with black eyed peas and corn bread. The take away story on this is don't give up. smush the worms or whatever you have to do and it will be worth it. I have also eaten a lot of broccoli and brussel sprouts by smushing the worms so don't give up if you get them bad.

Offline SLawyer Dave

• I don't need a gym, I cut and split firewood
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 09:42:41 PM »
They are called Cabbage Root Maggots and will attack a number of plants within the Brassica family of vegies.  Sometimes also called "Cole Crops".

The good news is that they primarily attack the roots, so the head is typically still edible.  The number one lesson I was always taught was to always rotate your Brassica vegies, so that you never grow them in the same area two years in a row.  You can do manual picking of the maggots, eggs and try to kill the flies, but that is a lot of work.  Since I plant the Brassica's in the late fall, when I have pulled the summer garden, I set them up first, (in a new area within the garden), and then shift everything around them.  I generally go about 4 years before I grow them in the same area.  This includes cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower.  There are a few others, but I don't grow them so don't remember. 

Also make sure to rototill or otherwise turn over the soil during the winter to help kill off any eggs that are trying to overwinter in your soil.  Prevention is the big key with Cabbage Root Maggots.  I understand there are some nematodes that you can buy to help kill them off, but I have no experience with such. 

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 06:06:38 AM »
it would be a little hard to rototill my garden about now  :D :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
DanGed beavers

Started by bandmiller2 on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post November 30, 2012, 07:37:13 AM
by bandmiller2
xx
Danged Cold

Started by Qweaver on General Board

10 Replies
Last post December 28, 2010, 02:38:39 AM
by LeeB