iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TJ tranny upgrade

Started by sandersen, November 17, 2015, 05:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandersen

Well, it turns finding parts for my old Borg Warner 1966 T9-L2 is proving tough.  Upgrading might be the best bet all the way around, so I'm wondering what you guys would recommend for a rebuilt replacement that would bolt right up?  Any ideas on cost and where to shop? I've got a 1966 230C.  I've tried Gear Wizard and Berns and others for parts but no luck...upgrading is beginning to make more sense.  Especially for parts down the road.  I'm thinking a NP with side reverser?  Thanks.     
"Make every step count."

Neilo

The D series has a NP 441-R

I think the C series have a T98-L2. Don't know if they are any easier to find.

And early machines had NP 435 four plus reverse

sandersen

Thanks Neilo...I'll keep the phone working and see what I can come up with.  A good used NP might be the best bet since there's plenty around.
"Make every step count."

larry1

Here is a pic. of my 230 d with a T98 . The trans was missing when I purchased the machine and guy 2 hours east of me had one from a scrapped machine ( lucky ) All his TJ's  have NP that I think are a tougher trans .

<b

tantoy

What about foreword/reverse like the t98/L2 has? Forward or reverse in any gear. Maybe not an issue?  How does the NP  compare?
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

sandersen

IMHO, to me a separate forward reverse gear is way more practical than a tranny that forces the driver to work his way through an H pattern to get to reverse. A good ole cable skidder is usually limited to first and second anyway under most conditions...and it's so much easier to maneuver back and forth with a separate lever.  I'll keep looking...eventually I should be able to find a good used one that bolts right up.  (I'm guessing around $750 should do it....I hope).  Thanks for the replies.     
"Make every step count."

C5C Tree Farmer

Talk to Dale at Power Transmission Inc. in Duluth MN. Phone# is 218-624-4878. He was quite knowledgeable in early logging equipment and had an old warehouse that was stuffed with used obsolete parts. He was a big help to me when I shucked the teeth off a long obsolete IH gear set in a XL100 Franklin back when I lived in MN.
The reverse in a NP 435 transmission is really only designed to back a truck up. It will never last in the high torque and extended use environment of a logging skidder. My C5 Tree Farmer uses the NP 435 transmission but the reverser is built into the Cotta transfer case.

sandersen

"Make every step count."

bushmechanic

The only foreseeable problem that you will have is the bell housing size when upgrading to a New Process transmission with a forward/reverse setup. The bell housing on your current engine supports a 9" clutch and smaller flywheel than the newer NP setup. In order to get a newer system on it you may have to change the rear engine cover , flywheel , starter , etc. Just something to keep in mind.     

sandersen

Thanks bushmechanic that's what I was worried about and I wanted to avoid all those changes...I just got a call from Berns in Cal...they sell and service all makes and models of forklifts where some of the older models used the T9.  Apparently after I called a few weeks ago looking for parts (and was told it was not likely)...one of the guys there went on a search of the shelves and giant inventory and in fact found an old rebuild kit for a T9 L2 that had been sittin around forever.  I was really surprised to say the least.  A lot of companies will just blow you off if you're just a some little guy trying to save some money by keeping an old dinosaur running.  It turns out it'll cost about 800 bucks for parts (seals, gaskets, cluster gear, snap rings, roller bearings, throwout bearing etc...) but I'll get to keep the old T9 and have it like new.  That's pretty cool.  It should last forever since I'll only use it lightly anyway.  I'd really recommend Berns to those who are looking for the old tranny parts.
"Make every step count."

Thank You Sponsors!