The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Bass fishing today  (Read 862 times)

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
Bass fishing today
« on: February 15, 2016, 10:55:58 PM »
A good friend of mine invited me to go bass fishing today.  He and I used to bass fish (and fish for about every other thing that swims in Florida a lot) together at least 100 days a year but the last several years, I have not bass fished at all.

We did not get an early start as the fish were expected to feed a little better as the water warmed.  We began around 8:30.  We never really slammed them but through persistence, we were able to boat 37 by the end of the day in addition to the largest soft shell turtle that I have ever seen, which came on a crank bait. We did not catch any real big bass today.  Several were boated in the two to three pound range and the largest being a little under five pounds. 

We fished until a little after 5 p.m.  As we were pulling his 20' bay boat out of the phosphate pit, the rusty galvanized tongue broke.  We strapped a 2"x4" x 8' which I found near the ramp to the bottom of the tongue to get the boat out of the water and the trailer to flat ground.  We called Rocky at the boat trailer shop and he was still at work and cut us a new aluminum tongue.  After grabbing the new parts and returning to the boat, we were able to replace the tongue with hand tools and the illumination from my buddy's headlights and head back towards civilization. 

This was an enjoyable day with one of my best friends and his two boys.  One of these days JMoore, Bub (today's fishing partner) and I need to write a book containing some of our misadventures in the pursuit of piscatorial  species.
Caveman
Caveman

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
  • A proper coffee break...
    • Share Post
    • Finca Leola Reforestation
Re: Bass fishing today
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 07:04:19 AM »
Brings back memories for sure. I used to fish at least every Saturday morning with a couple of friends when I was in the states. There was a water supply lake just down the road, which would not allow any motor bigger than 10 hp, so nice and quiet. Very deep, nearly 100 feet. All sorts of fish, perch, small mouth bass, trout (lake, brown, rainbow), etc.

We had a running bet. First Fish, Most Fish, Biggest Fish. Lose in all three categories, you buy breakfast.

I never lost. They would show up with big tackle boxes full of all the shiny things that hook fishermen (fish don't read catalogs. lol) I had a pond for minnows and crawfish, and would usually have 6 or more dozen of each with me.

I learned a long time ago, fish like meat, they aren't vegetarians. lol
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
  • A proper coffee break...
    • Share Post
    • Finca Leola Reforestation
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 07:10:26 AM »
About a week ago I was fishing in our ponds and was very surprised to catch a Guapote (Rainbow Bass) bigger than 4.5 pounds - which fought like it had 10 pounds!

Very tasty too.  8)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 08:00:56 AM »
caveman-

Love your fishing tale.  Something always seems to need repair after a fishing trip.  It's part of the day.  Our water is still a little to hard to get out yet......

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 08:14:41 AM »
Caveman,

Glad to hear you had a good time. I'd love to have the softshell turtle. Very good eating and lots easier to clean than a snapping turtle. Never heard of anyone catching one on a lure. Can't imagine the fight he must have put up or how you ever landed him. Sort of like trying to land a big bullfrog on a fly rod.

I used to fish for bass when I grew up in NW Fla but one day I realized it was getting to be too much like work so started fishing ultralight for bluegills and crappie and had a lot more fun at it. Half lb bluegill on ul fights like 5 lb bass on heavy tackle and there were a lot more half lb bluegills around.

I do usually keep a bass rod in the boat in case I hit a perfect spot but most days never pick it and just fish with ul or flyrod.

As they always say though, a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 09:46:09 PM »
WVSawmiller,
The soft shell turtle was definitely grown.  I have accidently caught a few logger head turtles (salt water species) on heavier tackle.  The soft shell is an angry beast in comparison. Their quickness and the reach of their necks do a really good job of discouraging me from handling them while they still have their heads.  We did not keep this one.

Dr. Rob, you are absolutely right about having to repair stuff after/during fishing trips.  I need to clear out some wood in my shop in order to make room for my boat.  It is in need of some substantial attention prior to putting it back into regular service in a few months.  The trailer is just one example of what you previously mentioned.  Last summer, I got my boat back to my uncle's house and discovered I was missing something.  JMoore, my middle daughter and I spent an afternoon or two replacing axles, wheels and tires (in the mud).

This is an example of the average bass from yesterday's trip.  Some were quite a bit larger but no really big ones.

Caveman

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 09:11:14 AM »
Caveman,

Yes soft shell turtles are fast. Like a Frisbee on legs. I had caught a big one on a trotline in Albany Ga and took it home. It got loose in the yard and took off at a high rate of speed right toward my 3 y/o daughter and her neighbor friend same age. They were riding their tricycles and big wheels and took off as fast as the could pedal to escape and both moms ran towards them to protect them from the monster. I barely caught him before he could get into a storm drain.

The axle incident reminds me of the Jeff Foxworthy tale where he said the highway patrol pulled over his somewhat tippsy father on the way home from a fishing trip. Said his dad asked "What's wrong, can't a guy ride in his boat towed behind his truck?" Said the HP replied "Yes, but most use a trailer".

Pretty fish. Glad y'all had a good time. That is what is important.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline fishpharmer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 12:49:13 PM »
Caveman, sounds like a great fishing trip.  Here is a video of a little softshell turtle...
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 08:43:45 PM »
this is coming from a guy in the frozen north ;D  is a soft shell turtle  like a soft shell crab  :-\

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 09:14:55 PM »
The soft shell turtles taste more like chicken than a crab. 

Fishfarmer-Your tank looks a lot like the burial vaults the tropical fish farmers around here use in greenhouses for their breeder fish or the fish they bring in out of ponds to sort.

WVsawmiller-I did feel fortunate to have made it back without damaging the boat or anyone's property with the wheel and tire coming off. 
Caveman

Caveman

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 08:56:42 AM »
is a soft shell turtle  like a soft shell crab  :-\
No.  A soft shell crab has "molted" and is growing a new/larger shell.  A soft shell turtle has a sorta soft shell that continues to grow/enlarge as the turtle ages.  Not the same process at all.  Soft shell turtles are a species that is favored for eating.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 09:20:49 AM »
is a soft shell turtle  like a soft shell crab  :-\
No.  A soft shell crab has "molted" and is growing a new/larger shell.  A soft shell turtle has a sorta soft shell that continues to grow/enlarge as the turtle ages.  Not the same process at all.  Soft shell turtles are a species that is favored for eating.

Correct. The shell is extremely flexible like leather. And as mentioned above SS turtles are very fast. If you drop him in the boat he may easily escape before you can catch him.

The last one I cleaned as I remember I cut the head off and when I went to open him I inserted the knife in the notch/fork on the bottom of the shell at his tail and wiggled a little and hit an unseen seam right up the center of his underside and he opened like pulling on a zipper. We fried him like chicken. Vey tasty.
Howard Green

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 11:38:25 AM »
February is big bass month for those who know,, thanks for the spur caveman!  nice bass too!  love those black, black bass, good color,, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
If this Walnut job was a Fishing Trip......I lost my Bass!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on Sawmills and Milling

36 Replies
Last post September 15, 2013, 10:51:26 AM
by maple flats
xx
went Ice Fishing today

Started by Tom on General Board

26 Replies
Last post January 07, 2009, 07:41:29 PM
by Tim L
xx
Crappie Fishing Today