The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Coffee??  (Read 11203 times)

Offline PA_Walnut

Re: Coffee??
« Reply #160 on: January 04, 2018, 07:24:27 AM »
The excessive coffee caught up with me so switched to tea...whoa, the pain.  :-X So, try to only have coffee 1 or 2 days a week.

The Mrs. has tried to complicate coffee. It's a simple thing with zen-like qualities when kept at a basic level. First it was a K-cup machine--that ended up clogged, giving me 1/3 cup. She cleaned it, etc. blah blah--ended up sailing off the 2nd story balcony.

The next was a machine that "will do it all...". Place the beans in it with water and it will auto grind, shoot the coffee into a filterless contraption. Ended up clogging the grindings and overflowing and/or a pot full of grounds. It too sailed off the deck one early morning.  (can I even explain how much joy this gave me!)?  :D

Simplicity is where it's at for me in the matter: ground coffee, put scoops into personal size french press, let sit a few minutes, push handle down, pour--great taste, no BS, works EVERY single time. First experienced this at Egg Restaurant in Brooklyn...simple kinda place with great/wholesome food!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Baker Portable Edger with Kubota Diesel
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
« Reply #161 on: January 04, 2018, 08:30:58 AM »
I still prefer my percolator and a stove top percolator even more than the electric. The stove top over a camp fire is another step ahead of that.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, Ford 851 tractor, JD 3032 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton and 2005 1 ton Dodge 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
« Reply #162 on: January 04, 2018, 12:27:09 PM »
Perc'd for me too!
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!
The First 50 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline nativewolf

• I'm new!
« Reply #163 on: January 04, 2018, 12:58:43 PM »
The excessive coffee caught up with me so switched to tea...whoa, the pain.  :-X So, try to only have coffee 1 or 2 days a week.

The Mrs. has tried to complicate coffee. It's a simple thing with zen-like qualities when kept at a basic level. First it was a K-cup machine--that ended up clogged, giving me 1/3 cup. She cleaned it, etc. blah blah--ended up sailing off the 2nd story balcony.

The next was a machine that "will do it all...". Place the beans in it with water and it will auto grind, shoot the coffee into a filterless contraption. Ended up clogging the grindings and overflowing and/or a pot full of grounds. It too sailed off the deck one early morning.  (can I even explain how much joy this gave me!)?  :D

Simplicity is where it's at for me in the matter: ground coffee, put scoops into personal size french press, let sit a few minutes, push handle down, pour--great taste, no BS, works EVERY single time. First experienced this at Egg Restaurant in Brooklyn...simple kinda place with great/wholesome food!

A french press is without a doubt my favorite, my 1 qt (single serving  ;D) press is a good friend indeed.  Also agree on ditching all the fancy machines.  Now the next trick is getting light roasted African beans into it.   I've got a good supplier of Kenyan AA and for the price it is a *DanG good wake up.  I have to stop about noon though and it is hard to find good decaf. 

Counter Culture (for all you coffee snobs) is the best I've had but at $18 for 12 oz it is an expensive cup.  I am not a fan of Columbian or Brazil but the CC East African coffees are the best ever and after 25 years of being a coffee fanatic I think I'm confident with that statement. 

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Website Link
« Reply #164 on: January 04, 2018, 09:24:30 PM »
I will be putting salt in my coffee grinds from here on out
Boy, back in my day..

Offline Grizzly

• I wanna go camping!
« Reply #165 on: January 05, 2018, 10:12:54 PM »
I had 1 measly arythmia episode (my wife got to watch them shock me) and now the heart docs want me off of caffeine!! No lead coffee don't taste right.  >:(
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws
   2149 - 111S - 90?
Cooks Cat Claw & Dual tooth setter
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Offline 51cub

« Reply #166 on: January 07, 2018, 08:57:52 PM »
More often than not, 1 24 oz cup in the morning. I make it black, but if somebody comes in with a small one that has some milk or cream, I don't turn it down. I make the large one decaf. DanGdest thing, the caffeine does something with the medicine I take, and I don't feel right. Later in the day I can swing a hi-test or two
I like anything that's old, and mechanical, agricultural, or industrial. Old mills, machine shops, beekeeping, sugarmaking, blacksmithing, whitesmithing, woodworking

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
« Reply #167 on: January 13, 2018, 12:12:16 PM »
K-cup coffee maker...When it gets stingy and makes 1/2 cup or less per brew,and the recommended de-scaling does no good,  here's a gotcha...pull the removable filter from the water container..Underneath is a round knob with 3 stainless phillips head screws. remove them and pull out the plastic knob. Inside that is a fine wire mesh filter, can't clean it without removing the assembly. Mine was badly clogged. Made a world of difference.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club

Offline Novascotiamill

• I walked the “Thin Blue Line “ for 20 years
« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2018, 05:23:25 PM »
Like mine black like my licorice. Couple brewed in the kuerig then off to Tim Hortons for a large black coffee,they make it nice and hot,if the line ups too long then Ill hit mcds,both are pretty good. I dont like starbucks.
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
O

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #169 on: January 13, 2018, 09:10:03 PM »
Starbucks medium roast is good but I cannot handle the dark. I need to get another percolator, basket went missing from the last one. Karen wouldn't drink perc but it is still my favorite.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2018, 10:12:42 PM »
Happy Birthday Sawguy21!   8)
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #171 on: Yesterday at 08:25:18 AM »
With this weather coming through today I just brewed me a cup and will feed the fire.  Matter of fact, later this morning I may very well brew me another cup.   :) 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline gww

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #172 on: Yesterday at 04:03:11 PM »
magic
I am on my second also. My second 12 cup pot.
Cheers
gww

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
« Reply #173 on: Yesterday at 04:56:35 PM »
I'd need a catheter.
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!
The First 50 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #174 on: Yesterday at 05:01:50 PM »
Oh my, howdoyoudoit ???   My pot (Reply #132) only brews one cup and I fixed it at ~2:30 this afternoon.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline PineHill4488

• I'm new!
« Reply #175 on: Yesterday at 08:30:36 PM »
Tea for me with breakfast just  touch of sugar (our tea makes most folks coffee look weak) then black coffee at the office. Two 20 oz mugs a day.

Years ago, I read a report that people who drink 8 or more cups of coffee a day have a longer, stronger, and more satisfying sex life than other groups of coffee drinkers. I can attest to the validity of the claim.  :)
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.