The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: fuel mixture  (Read 8771 times)

Offline ZeroJunk

• Share Post
Re: fuel mixture
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2015, 01:01:06 AM »
I wonder what laid back has to do with longevity ?  Stihl 032's 056's etc. were laid back 30 years ago.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2015, 09:09:12 AM »
You can run ethanol fuel successfully in chainsaws (especially modern ones with updated plastics and rubber compounds)... no argument about that. There are also issues with ethanol that can adversely effect small engines. If you tune your saws properly, turn your fuel over quickly and don't leave it sitting in machines or cans for extended periods, you will most likely be just fine for the most part.

For us mere mortals who don't use a saw every day (or even every week), and might forget to drain the tanks, or occasionally have older gas sitting around, it makes some sense to take what steps you can to protect your investment. Would I drive 200 miles round trip to get non-ethanol fuel? Not a chance. I also won't burn Aviation gas (despite it being fairly convenient for me - it's expensive and a health hazard). Nor will I spend mega bucks for the canned fuel. Will I bring along a fuel can to fill at the station with non-ethanol premium that I pass several times a week? Sure. It only cost about 5 or 10/gallon more than the alternative. I also put in a fuel stabilizer, in case it sits longer than I intended (and even then, the occasional couple gallons of fuel gets dumped in my car, if it's not mixed with oil, or in my lawnmower if it is mixed). For me, it's cheap insurance.

E10 gas, canned fuel, avgas, all have their pros and cons. Any one of these may be a better solution for some people. I use what has the best trade-off of cost and convenience for me.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2015, 12:45:06 PM »
I wonder what laid back has to do with longevity ?  Stihl 032's 056's etc. were laid back 30 years ago.
There was no references in prior posts that the new Husqvarna  laid back cylinder design has anything to do with longevity.......only that the new Stihl's introduced with have the Husqvarna 562XP (ultra )laid back design.
Which is much lower then Stihl's decades old design.

But while we're on the subject of durability,  the more a front muffler mounted cylinder is laid back, the better centered the cylinder and muffler is to the fan wheel for better cooling.
On the subject of synthetic oil as some suggested it's better for high heat. I have to add it's also better for  freezing temperatures below 0 F for better fluidity.
More  wear on engine parts is during cold startup and warmup so the better qualities of synthetic is an advantage.

I read a Stihl quote once that their Ultra full synthetic mix is bio degradable after the gas it's mixed with is burned  through the engine. Better for the lungs and environment..........

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Fuel/Oil mixture on larger Huskys

Started by twistedtree on Chainsaws

23 Replies
Last post December 06, 2005, 01:11:46 AM
by twistedtree
xx
Gas Mixture Uses

Started by catvet on Forestry and Logging

6 Replies
Last post November 24, 2005, 08:58:11 AM
by catvet