iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Next Project

Started by Autocar, December 25, 2015, 04:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

The steering on my C7T treefarmer has a steering wheel that pushes or pulls a cable that is inside of a armored jacket. Which actieates a valve bank that feeds the two hyd cylinders on the articulating of the machine. Every day coming home my neck and shoulders are stiff and sore from steering the darn thing even though I installed a new cable it still steers hard to me. So my plan is to install a Char-Lynn Steering Valve which I figure will make it steer like a dream. I hope I got it all figured out right, but do wonder if I will have to install a flow divider also to control the flow. Any of you guys ever try something like this ?
Bill

lopet

Some of them have a build in regulator. You run the pressure line right trough and when you activate the steering it only takes a the amount of oil it needs. I would try a tractor salvage yard and look for a cab tractor, those have shorter shaft.  Good luck.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

kiko

I have a tilt steering column that a steering motor will bolt directly to the end of it. I am not trying to sell it to you, if you need you can have it . I have lots of them. Let me know.

kiko

You might also consider installing a priority valve, the machine will not work right it you just tee into the pressure line. The kind of steering Lopet is speaking of may have that built in, but am not familiar with that kind.

snowstorm

i built a power steering set up for my kubota. i got the mount for the helm and steering wheel from a parted out 410 jd hoe. sounds kiko has the parts you need. what you call the steering valve can also be called a helm. my boat uses a like setup except its dosent have a pump to supply pressure oil to it. the helm is the pump going back to a hydraulic cylinder attached to the rudder. my kubota has a flow control valve and i took the oil from there. it works well with a hydraulic cylinder replacing the drag link. i think the simplest way on your skidder would be add a power steering pump. maybe from an older ih truck they had a good sized tank. just pay attention to direction of rotation if you run it from an accessory drive. i would find the mount first the helm could be splinted or key and it must be open center. i assume your skidder is open center. if you use oil from the skidder pump you would need a prioty or flow control and you still may lose some speed if steering picking the blade up or the grapple all at once. good luck bill it will work

snowstorm

Quote from: lopet on December 25, 2015, 04:29:13 PM
Some of them have a build in regulator. You run the pressure line right trough and when you activate the steering it only takes a the amount of oil it needs. I would try a tractor salvage yard and look for a cab tractor, those have shorter shaft.  Good luck.
t would look into this also bill

Autocar

Thanks fellows for your replys. Kiko the steering column I believe will be only 2 1/2 inches long with a 12 tooth for the steering valve and 36 tooth for the steering wheel. It is rainning like crazy here suppose to have three inches. Skidder is setting on a job east of me. Would like to get all the logs hauled before I bring it home. Ohiologger stacked all the logs road side a few days ago with his track skid steer which helped out. Iam looking forward to starting this project.
Bill

kiko

From your description I may not have exactly what your are looking for. I am working on the road early this week.  I will get you some pictures anyhow when I get back in town.

Thank You Sponsors!