The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Cold weather starting  (Read 8464 times)

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Cold weather starting
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2016, 12:28:09 PM »
A 2000 Watt circulating block heater will warm an engine up enough in an hour that they will generally start unless it 40* below with a stiff breeze. but a tarp wil help solve that wind exposure problem

If you ain't livin on the edge you are takin up way to much room. Of course at my age if I get too close to that edge any more theres a good chance I may fall off.
2001 Dodge 1500 4x4. 2018 F150
2007 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 almost Super
2 Logrite 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline Jhenderson

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2016, 08:56:17 PM »
Offthebeatenpath. I said what I did in full confidence. My friend in the machine shop holds NASE certification in automotive engine machining and repair as well as 4 other general disciplines. Has for 30 years.  Anybody else here hold those credentials? As for me not having any credibility, I simply consider the source of that remark. I left that on the playground long ago.  Over 30 years of the practice of coolant transfers with no trouble as well as watching at least 5 other crews in my state use the same setup with no problems tells the story. As for shocking the motor some of you are either ignoring or forgetting there are 4 sets of quick connects in the system. Combine that restriction with the fact that a water pump is incapable of making any real pressure and you'll see coolant isn't moving fast enough to shock cool anything.

Offline OH logger

• livin the dream
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2016, 09:32:55 PM »
A 2000 Watt circulating block heater will warm an engine up enough in an hour that they will generally start unless it 40* below with a stiff breeze. but a tarp wil help solve that wind exposure problem

that brings up a question I have always had. they say wind chill only affects living things by makin them colder, does it affect machines in a cold wind???
john

Offline Oliver05262

• Share Post
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2016, 09:44:42 PM »
 The wind chill affects living tissue by evaporating moisture off our skin, and the blood circulating through that tissue is cooled in turn. This evaporation will reduce the skin temperature below air temperature.
  Machinery does not have that evaporation effect, so the cold air can reduce the surface temperature no lower than the ambient temperature. It does, however, keep trying to cool that surface, so blocking the wind creates an insulation of still air around the metal you are trying to heat.
"You can't do wrong by doing good"

It's OK to cry.

Offline OH logger

• livin the dream
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2016, 10:40:10 PM »
that makes sense . thanks
john

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2016, 08:46:00 AM »
the way i see it is if you own it do what you want with it. heat it any way you want. if it causes a problem in a truck under warranty ford gm or dodge whoever built the truck can deny it. the dealer has to get approval on warranty work

Offline Skidder Kev

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2016, 11:28:21 AM »
We have a 2800 suitcase genny that we bring to the job.  most of the time the skidder will start good up to -20c on its own but the skid steer doesnt like the cold. so at about 10am I will fire up the genny to get the skidsteer warming up and it will be ready for the boss when he gets out of the bush at 11-1130 so we can do the landing and have lunch.  Plus it will run a microwave so we can have a hot lunch too. 

Kev

Offline Jhenderson

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2016, 07:35:36 PM »
Snowstorm, you're spot on. If the modification causes a problem, they can and will deny warranty. If you plug your cooling system because of dirty or uncompatible coolant in the skidder it's your problem. However they cannot deny warranty on unrelated matters. That falls under the Magnuson Moss Act which states that the manufacturer has the burden of proving your modification caused the failure before denying warranty.

Offline Gary_C

• Senior Member x2
  • Sunrise on the Prairie
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2016, 11:05:25 PM »
However they cannot deny warranty on unrelated matters. That falls under the Magnuson Moss Act which states that the manufacturer has the burden of proving your modification caused the failure before denying warranty.

First you deny the warnings that many posters have made about your method which you feel compelled to defend while insulting the others on this form. Now you are dispensing some extremely dangerous legal advice. If you feel so strongly that you are right, why don't you next post your name, address, and bank account number so you can stand behind your very bad and dangerous advice?

I pity anyone that takes your legal advice because what you are doing with these split swappers is changing the intended use of the warm vehicle from transportation to being an external heat exchanger for another engine and not only will they be left with a very expensive repair bill but an even higher legal bill when your claim is dismissed and they are assessed legal costs from the dealer or manufacturer.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2016, 11:40:44 PM »
I know that stupid cant be fixed with any thing BUT duct tape does reduce the noise a LOT.

Mods; I'm sorry to have said it like this and this is not meant to offend but it is time to shut this one OFF.

Mr Henderson you need spend the rest of the year in detention and I think you owe a lot of people an apology.

Oh, Oh sorry i forgot this isn't junior High   

If you ain't livin on the edge you are takin up way to much room. Of course at my age if I get too close to that edge any more theres a good chance I may fall off.
2001 Dodge 1500 4x4. 2018 F150
2007 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 almost Super
2 Logrite 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline Jhenderson

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2016, 12:49:31 PM »
Funny how warnings from folks with no personal experience count more than my 30+ years of using the system. Did anyone bother to look up Magnuson Moss? I didn't think so. As for insulting members; if telling the truth is an insult I'm guilty. I thought this site was for an exchange of information and ideas. Had I known it was intended to be a mutual admiration society I'd have looked elsewhere. If you really need to get in touch with me Send me a PM.As for a time out,all I need is a note from the moderator and I'll be gone for good.

Offline jd540b

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2016, 01:11:50 PM »
Here's a thought.  If you are NOT worried about your truck-put spit swappers on. They do work great.  If you ARE worried, don't put them on.  Ego's Anyone???
Next topic.

Offline Gary_C

• Senior Member x2
  • Sunrise on the Prairie
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2016, 01:39:55 PM »
I can't speak for the moderators but I for one do NOT want you to be "gone for good." This forum is very valuable for the information everyone can gain from all posters. Your success with this cold starting method is valuable for everyone to know in deciding the best way to start cold engines and we all know others that have had similar success with that method.

The problem has been when you dismiss other valuable members input on the risks of your method and insult their intelligence. That is where you crossed the line of being a valuable poster. No one has ever denied the truth of your experiences and we all know others that have had similar successes, but attacking other posters for pointing out the pitfalls of your chosen method is not welcome.

Now as far as your question about Magnuson Moss, I am familiar with the act and I did review it before I answered your question. So your "thinking" is not appropriate again. If you do read the act, you will find that warrantys must be in writing and in every warranty will state clearly by the manufacturer that it covers the vehicle for the specific "intended use". Any use outside of the intended use will void the warranty and even after the warranty has expired, that is a risk that most people, myself included are simply not willing to take. That unwillingness is not an attack on your method or personal experiences, it is simply a decision I/we have reached after evaluating all inputs.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline Jhenderson

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2016, 07:07:12 PM »
I'm going to say enough is enough. I've never been accused of being delicate. I did not mean to diminish anyone here on the forum, but I do stand by my facts. I won't respond again until someone posts a problem they ( not someone they heard of) had because of this practice. Anybody who wants more info can PM me.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2016, 07:45:13 PM »
just my way of thinking  if it don't start with jumpers and a can of ether its to darn cold to work anyway  ;D that's my story and im sticking to it  :D :D

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2016, 07:48:20 PM »
I picked up a Kat's 1,500 watt circulating heater at Car Quest the other day for my 3-53.  I'll power it with my 2,500 watt genny once I get it installed :)  I've never needed heat for my Deutz.  It starts in really cold temps with just a whiff of ether.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Logger RK

• Share Post
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2016, 11:11:00 PM »
I used 2 use pickup 2 heat up Eq but got a Hot Box heater. Runs off 12 volt & gas. Heats much faster then a pickup & has a exhaust pipe with very hot air that u can put towards oil pan or pumps. It'll heat a Mack 6 cyl from -30 to ready 2 start in 1/2 hour plus on Mack oil pan can b warmed. Also for my 5 cyl Deutz I can park next Skidder with 453 Deitriot & heat both at once with The Box. Blowing exhaust on the air cooled. But u have 2 watch that it's not aimed at the push rod covers or it'll heat the springs 2 much & the o rings leak.  Learned that the hard way. But if only starting the TF C5D with Deutz ill put salimander heater on it. Had -31 at 6am today so waited till 9am & temp was -10 & put sali on the 5 & less then 1/2 hour it was running. Tell it was pretty cold as stiff as the tranny was. I've rebuilt the 5 b 4 & they say hide the either can from the Duetze. With Deitroit's buy it by the case. Also if u don't have a thermometer, best way 2 tell if it's 2 cold 2 start Eq is if u pull motor oil dipstick out a foot & let go & it snaps back in u might as well go home & watch Gun Smoke.

Offline millcreek40

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2016, 07:34:22 AM »
I did have spit swappers on my 460 ford & I had heard the rumors about blowing head gaskets.  Long story short the 460 did blow a head gasket. Perhaps just a  coincidence ???? It was a jasper motor & when we took it apart the head bolts didn't seem like they were very tight to me. I now have a generator & a block heater.  They do work very well though & I know a lot of people who used them for years with no issues. My thought is when your truck or skidders thermostat first opens it getting the same cold antifreeze from whichever radiator 🤔🤔🤔
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

Offline Logger RK

• Share Post
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2016, 07:35:40 AM »
Now a day later & rembering back the reason I give up on pickup hook up was I got a different pickup & when it was below zero pickup would b warm & hook it up 2 cold Eq pickup would go 2 high idle like it was just started pushing anti freeze out the Eq being heated. But what ever works 4 somebody is just fine with me. That's y were called independent Logger's (or at least I am)👍

Offline timberlinetree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2016, 04:35:30 AM »
The mistake I made was when Brookie and I built a box to put over the genny to keep the falling snow off of it. We cut a hole for exhaust but that was it. Fired it up and went chopping. Came back to a non running genny. Got to hot I guess. It was brand new but now is hard to start( I did change the oil right after that tho).
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Detroit cold weather starting

Started by madmari on Forestry and Logging

58 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 07:56:11 PM
by Ed_K
xx
cold weather skidder starting

Started by a old timberjack on Forestry and Logging

15 Replies
Last post March 26, 2008, 07:17:01 AM
by a old timberjack