iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rare Find For Me

Started by Sixacresand, January 05, 2016, 04:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

Not very big around to be 100+ years. Result of storm damage in an older subdivision in Macon, GA.

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

Nice find, Six!   ;)

It would be nice to have a whole load of logs like that one!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ohio_Bill

Must have some really tight growth rings. Great find I am sure it will be wonderful lumber.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Quote from: Sixacresand on January 05, 2016, 04:03:38 PM
Not very big around to be 100+ years.

Are you talking about the log on the left or the taller one standing up on the right?   :D :D :D :D

I always figured that you had tight growth rings  ;D.  Just kidding. 

Nice slick barked pine there, my friend. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

Quote from: WDH on January 05, 2016, 09:03:39 PM

Are you talking about the log on the left or the taller one standing up on the right?   :D :D :D :D

My growth rings got out of control over the holidays.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

slider

That's what i call hitting a lick six.Good score.
al glenn

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Ocklawahaboy

I often think about how many logs like that go to waste. 

CaptainBob

Those growth rings look to be super tight for 100+ year old log.

Question :  What would be the best way to get the most value sales-wise ? 

I would probably keep it for myself, but I was curious to hear what he FF thinks.

WDH

I would quartersaw it at 1 3/8" thick, kiln dry it, plane it, and market it for Farm Table Tops.  They are very popular right now.  At $2.75/BF, I have sold a good bit of it.  For a 8' farm table that is 40" wide, that requires about 35 BF.  At 2.75/BF, the top would cost the customer $96.  That is a bargain for wood like that in my opinion.  Here is some that I prepared this way except that it was sawn at 1 1/8" thick.  On my next log, I will go with 1 3/8" 

thick.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

Nice log John.  Make sure to post some pics when you saw it.

Like the hat too. smiley_strange_hat2
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Dodgy Loner

I've sold some tight-grained longleaf pine slabs, 2" thick, for $4/BF. They were 18-20" wide and folks were buying them for tabletops, like WDH suggested. First time I've sold pine for that much, but both parties were happy :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

GAB

Quote from: Sixacresand on January 05, 2016, 09:25:34 PM
Quote from: WDH on January 05, 2016, 09:03:39 PM

My growth rings got out of control over the holidays.

If it is any consolation - according to the scale you aren't the only one.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Sixacresand

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on January 05, 2016, 11:08:51 PM
I often think about how many logs like that go to waste.
Good Point, Ocklawahaboy.  That tree would already be in the landfill if my cousin had not called me.  I often wonder how many quality logs go to landfills/brush piles. 

Darrel

Out here, if it isn't Doug fir, or Pondarosa pine, it has little or no value.  Black oak, madrone and big leaf maple are felled with the clear cut and quite often are just left to rot. Makes me ill.  And yes, all to often prime logs such as the one featured here ends up in the land fills.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

customsawyer

Nice log. Just bring it down here to me while you have it loaded. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

When I said quartersaw it, I would not use the octagon method but rather the modified quartersawing method. 

Sixacresand

WDH,  It would be nice for all of us with sawmills to know the difference between the Octagon and the Modified quartersawing method.  Now I gotta do some research.  And I need to pay better attention at the Annual Sycamore Project. 

My recent acquired pine log is 18 ft long and has a bend in it.  I'm leaning toward cutting it half. 

I also got a 4 ft. piece of this tree which I look forward to the challenge.

grweldon

Although I've seen the "octagon method" and I think John has also, I don't think I know the ins and outs of the method either...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

customsawyer

Its easy. Just cut it the way Danny says to.  :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ga Mtn Man

Here are three common methods for quartersawing.  I believe the "octagon" method is #2 but with eight flats sawed instead of four.  Someone posted these here on the forum but I don't recall who it was.

See attachments below:

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

slider

Interesting subject.If i might ask what would someone charge to quarter saw rather than just sawing through and through for structural lumber.I am at .30 cent a bd ft delivered to the mill plus extra for stickering and air drying.I don't mean to take this subject side ways but i would like to know where others are at on this.Thanks al
al glenn

WDH

The "modified quartersawing method" is qsawmethod1.pdf in Ga Mtn Man's post above.  Pretty quick and easy to do.  Works well for pine.

Sixacresand

Thanks Danny and Paul.  I will print those pdf files.   

Thank You Sponsors!