iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Auger Bit Question

Started by Haggis, January 11, 2016, 09:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haggis

Do these types of augers usually have cutting spurs on them? I was thinking about getting an 1.5" one for some projects but every one I look at seems to have no cutting spurs to create a nice clean entry to the hole.

Thank in advance.

Jim_Rogers

Some do, most don't.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Haggis

Dave Shepard

Very few that I have seen have spurs. For mortising, score the edges of the mortise, and you won't have any tear out.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Haggis

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 11, 2016, 12:34:08 PM
Very few that I have seen have spurs. For mortising, score the edges of the mortise, and you won't have any tear out.

I wasn't using this for mortise joints. I was actually going to be using it for legs holes for a shaving horse build I plan for this summer. Was hoping to keep the holes as clean as possible. I do have a brace & a 1" bit but thought that was a little on the small side for strength of the leg.

Brian_Weekley

After you drill out the holes, you might want to use a reamer to taper the leg holes--tapered fittings work well to hold the legs in the shaving horse.  I made a tapered reamer from a piece of oak and inserted an old hacksaw blade in a slot to serve as the cutter.  The problem was it was hard for me to make the reamer or to taper the legs to fit the holes because I didn't have the shaving horse first (Catch 22)!  But, you could also make one with a lathe, if you have one.

e aho laula

Haggis

Quote from: Brian_Weekley on January 11, 2016, 03:24:55 PM
After you drill out the holes, you might want to use a reamer to taper the leg holes--tapered fittings work well to hold the legs in the shaving horse.  I made a tapered reamer from a piece of oak and inserted an old hacksaw blade in a slot to serve as the cutter.  The problem was it was hard for me to make the reamer or to taper the legs to fit the holes because I didn't have the shaving horse first (Catch 22)!  But, you could also make one with a lathe, if you have one.

Excellent idea. Will work on one of these before the sring hits. I can do this in my workshop at home in my vise.

Thank You Sponsors!