iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Harbor Freight Predator install?

Started by KirkD, January 12, 2016, 09:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KirkD

Has anyone put the Harbor Freight Predator 22hp on their LT40? I am looking at converting the Electric one I just bought back to gas.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

47sawdust

No experience with that motor.My gut feeling is there are many better choices for a re-power,the most straight forward being a re-power from WM as all associated parts would be included.Might seem like more money upfront but the needed tech support is very valuable.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Ocklawahaboy

KirkD

Quote from: 47sawdust on January 12, 2016, 11:11:31 AM
No experience with that motor.My gut feeling is there are many better choices for a re-power,the most straight forward being a re-power from WM as all associated parts would be included.Might seem like more money upfront but the needed tech support is very valuable.
I guess I could post my resume here but I don't think I will need WM support on the swap and there is a BIG price difference. The saw was gas and has all the factory parts still there other than pulley and belts. Pulley will be different since I will be adding an alternator. 

beenthere

Quote from: KirkD on January 12, 2016, 09:29:55 AM
Has anyone put the Harbor Freight Predator 22hp on their LT40? I am looking at converting the Electric one I just bought back to gas.
Why do you ask? Thinking maybe the Predator is not such a good idea?  just curious...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

KirkD

Quote from: beenthere on January 12, 2016, 11:44:34 AM
Quote from: KirkD on January 12, 2016, 09:29:55 AM
Why do you ask? Thinking maybe the Predator is not such a good idea?  just curious...
Just asking to see who else has done it one review on HF website was from someone who had put one on a LT40 and was happy with it..... I think it is a great engine for the money I have had good luck with the smaller ones and read on other forums how well the 22hp performs. The only issues I have heard of is you want to run them awhile and then cool them down and set the valves. I hear they all come on the tight side which affects power and idle.

dustyhat

Not a big fan of HF ether ,but i went ahead and bought there ten hp to put on a pallet resaw i built .and found i really like the little motor. but aint got any idea about the bigger ones .but would like to hear some word on them also.

Ohio_Bill

If you are going to use the mill for hobby and not saw very much and smaller logs 22 hp might be ok. If you are going to use the mill a good bit and larger logs I would want more power. I have owned mills with 13, 25 and 42 hp. IMHO bigger is better.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Chuck White

I repowered my LT40HD with the 25HP Kohler from Wood-Mizer and I'm very well satisfied with it!

Runs all day on 3½-4 gallons of 91 octane.

The engine came with all the linkage, belts and mounting hardware and the paperwork!

Took about 2 hours for the change-out and I was back sawing.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

isawlogs

I went and looked at the motor on there sight, at that price, I would also put it on my mill.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Kbeitz

Does your mill have a clutch?
Or is that something that you will need to buy to put the gas engine back on?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

KirkD

Quote from: isawlogs on January 12, 2016, 02:02:36 PM
I went and looked at the motor on there sight, at that price, I would also put it on my mill.  ;)
It is basically a Honda clone from what I can tell. I see where even the Honda fuel pump bolts right on it and am wondering if other parts would to.

KirkD

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on January 12, 2016, 12:05:16 PM
If you are going to use the mill for hobby and not saw very much and smaller logs 22 hp might be ok. If you are going to use the mill a good bit and larger logs I would want more power. I have owned mills with 13, 25 and 42 hp. IMHO bigger is better.
I am not going to make a living with it or I would be looking at a diesel.

KirkD

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 12, 2016, 02:08:08 PM
Does your mill have a clutch?
Or is that something that you will need to buy to put the gas engine back on?
This uses a arm to pivot the motor and tighten the belt.

Ohio_Bill

Sure can't argue with the Price of that engine.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

KirkD

KirkD

What I would like to know for you guys that have added Alternators to tell me what size pullys you have found work the best on them. I have read about the reasons to use 100+amp. Would love to see some pictures posted of your setups.

Dave Shepard

I converted a '92 E15 (electric) to a G23 Kohler. It was not a simple bolt on, as the original Onan engine had a stepped crank shaft, and the WM sheave wouldn't work. The WM I think had one 4" groove for the alternator, and two 3.5" grooves for the drive belt. I used a triple 4" sheave and that seems to be working really well so far. I don't know what size you would need on the alternator, we didn't change that. Is your mill using the factory alternator?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Kbeitz

Around 4-1/2  -  5" on the engine.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ladylake

Seems like most times that I buy something cheap I end up replacing it with something good that I should have bought in the first place.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

KirkD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 12, 2016, 05:34:22 PM
I converted a '92 E15 (electric) to a G23 Kohler. It was not a simple bolt on, as the original Onan engine had a stepped crank shaft, and the WM sheave wouldn't work. The WM I think had one 4" groove for the alternator, and two 3.5" grooves for the drive belt. I used a triple 4" sheave and that seems to be working really well so far. I don't know what size you would need on the alternator, we didn't change that. Is your mill using the factory alternator?

Dave this mill had the Onan from the factory and was converted to Electric. But the Onan and alternator are MIA.
He was using a big heavy RV 110v to 12v inverter to run the 12v stuff.
So I assume with a 4" pulley driving the blade you are not running or don't really need full throttle?

EZ

I'm thinking about it myself. Nice thing about it is if you buy the extra warrenty you can take the old back in two years and replace it. Don't matter if it still runs or not just take it back and get a new one.
EZ

KirkD

Quote from: ladylake on January 12, 2016, 05:45:23 PM

Seems like most times that I buy something cheap I end up replacing it with something good that I should have bought in the first place.  Steve

I thought the same thing 6 or 7 years ago when I put a 6.5 horse HF on my Wheel Horse tiller (bolted right on by the way and used the same pulley). I think the original Kohler was around 8hp and the 6.5 performs just as well.
Figured if it got me through that summer it would be worth the $100 I paid for it.
It is still on it and going strong it can sit all winter and fire on the first or second pull.

scrout

Obviously this motor is made at a plant that already makes these type of motors, so it is a rebadged whatever.
For all we know it IS a kohler, briggs, etc, just gets a different label on it.
I have got an 18 horse briggs on my saw now, if it goes bad then that exact HF motor will be going on it.

Dave Shepard

We are running the engine full throttle. It's over running the band speed, but just a little.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!