The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: cougars in Michigan  (Read 18387 times)

Offline chain

• Share Post
Re: cougars in Michigan
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2014, 08:15:12 AM »
    I like the idea of cats and wolves being in the woods around me, it ads a little something.

Not a bad idea especially if my chainsaw is running and my pistol and knife are in reach. I've had encounters with a mean dog and a sow in the woods, possibly they were protecting their litters, I know the sow was.

Offline mesquite buckeye

• Senior Member x2
  • Trees are good- even ones with stickers
    • Share Post
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2014, 09:13:21 PM »
Nothing quite so disconcerting as a howling pack of wolves in close proximity to one's camp, food cooking and no gun at hand. :(

Well, I suppose a grizzley or Alaska brown would be worse.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Offline red oaks lumber

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2014, 09:20:35 PM »
i get high on milk because my cows are on grass :D

milk life...   is the dumbest ad campaign ;)
the experts think i do things wrong
 over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Offline chain

• Share Post
« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2014, 11:00:16 AM »
Something of interest if you have a Missouri connection is in the February issue of "Misssouri Conservationist" magazine..a great publication usually. But on page 2 someone sent in a photo of a lower base trunk of  a sycamore [does not look sycamore to me but I've been known to be wrong}, the tree nearly 13' in circumference; yet, the photo showing that a beaver has completely girdled the tree and will likely fall in the next wind storm.

The comments, seemingly boastful, of the novelty of having such an apparently "giant ghost beaver" are amusing to me. For one thing, what is the worth of this magnificent tree ? What devotion to dozens of ecological benefits has this tree provided in its lifetime? I've seen hundreds and hundreds of trees damaged and girdled down to waste from , let's say, "over achieving beaver"! ???

So, what's the point? The point is...someone needs to invent a 'girdling post' to save trees! :)

Offline chain

• Share Post
« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2014, 11:06:39 AM »
I have searched for this post and cannot figure out how I put it on "cougars in Michigan', sorry. But wanted some to know that I was for once correct, that the tree was NOT a sycamore as stated, the beaver was cutting on a cottonwood. The Editor of the magazine corrected in this month's issue....thanks.

Hope someone's working on that 'girdling post'! :)

Offline mesquite buckeye

• Senior Member x2
  • Trees are good- even ones with stickers
    • Share Post
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2014, 06:48:32 PM »
Update on the Santa Catalina bighorn reintroduction. Game and Fish has been very quiet for the last several months, but they announced last week that there are 16 surviving sheep. They also report 6 lambs born. I'm guessing that the way they worded it that the 6 are part of the 16 and not in addition to. Usual fun statistical lying technique. They also report one surviving ram, which means that all the babies born will have the same father, creating an inbred population.

Apparently they have too much money, as they are talking about bringing another truckload of lion fuel this fall. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Offline CJennings

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2014, 07:07:52 PM »
Sometimes reintroductions aren't thought through too well. When they reintroduced marten in Vermont, the fishers got most of them. Oddly enough, the fishers were reintroduced not too may decades before the marten attempt. If they'd reversed the order I think it would have been more successful. Now over 20 years later, the marten are coming in on their own. When caribou were brought back to Maine, brainworm carried by deer got them. If they're going to get a herd of those bighorn established I would suspect they need to do an effective predator control program. Unless they're going to bring in several hundred or thousand animals.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cougars in da UP

Started by chet on The Outdoor Board

15 Replies
Last post February 20, 2016, 07:08:15 AM
by sandsawmill14
xx
Michigan Vacation Home or full time residence. Harrison Michigan

Started by Jeff on For Sale

7 Replies
Last post October 07, 2008, 11:31:43 PM
by WDH