iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Back button

Started by xlogger, January 20, 2016, 06:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

When I hit my back button on computer lots of times it goes back two pages. Any idea on what I might start doing to correct this short of buying new computer?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Jeff

A quick google search says it is probably an add on to your browser.  You can search google for almost any computer problem and get an answer. Odds of you being the first one with the problem are next to none.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ox

Jeff's right on.  Some of those add ons are the worst.  My suggestion is to get rid of all of them if you don't really need them.  The less things running on your machine the faster and better it runs.  I have only one add on and it's an adblocker.  Free one, too, called Adblock.  Works fantastic.  Guy works on donations.   :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

xlogger

Being that I'm probably the worst on computers I did find out how to get rid of add ons. I disable a few that I was sure I don't care for but scared to get rid of some that I'm not sure what they do. We'll see if the ones that I got rid of helps. thanks
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

beenthere

Here too, as I looked at the add-on's that were enabled. Google Docs and Google Docs offline were two that I disabled. Have no idea why I'd want them running.
Only one I left running was Adblock plus. That one I like... sometimes says on certain sites that like 20 - 30 ads blocked.
Which ones were you scared to get rid of? And which ones did you disable.. just curious. No real need to know. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ox

I think add ons are more for the techy type people who want all these gadgety things.  I don't have any add ons at all (unless that wonderful little Adblocker counts as an add on) and can do what I need to do on the internet just fine.  Just an example, not saying this is absolute or anything.  :)
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

xlogger

I now have 9 add ons that are enabled.
1  classic explorer bar
2  explorer bho class
3  classicie9bho class
4  hp network check helper
5  ml dom document
6  Microsoft sliverlight
7  hp network check
8  classicie9 setting
9  64964764-1101-4bbd-8891-b56

not sure what anyone of this do. I did load classic shell a couple years ago.

Ox

To me, I don't see anything important at all there and would get rid of all of them.  That is massive slowdown for you and your computer.  However, I'm not exactly a computer guru either, so you would do well to wait for some other opinions probably! 

I suppose if you didn't want to wait and wanted to try it out sooner, you can create a save point in the system restore place under the system tools folder.  I'm assuming you're running a Windows system?

Create a save point and then delete an add on, restart, and see if anything is bad for you.  If it is, go back to the system restore and restore it back to where you were and try deleting a different one.  I hope this makes sense, I sometimes have a hard time getting my mind onto paper...

Most of these add ons in my experience are for traffic monitoring and shopping and ad tracing stuff.  These add ons are always watching what you're doing and where you are and sending the info to whoever.  It really bogs down your machine.

Whenever you download a program or anything, lots of times the place will try to sneak in a toolbar or add on in the download.  You have to look a little carefully for a box to uncheck to avoid this in the future.

I hope this helps in some way...

xlogger

during the coarse of today I've disable 3 more one at a time. just to see if I did something wrong. I see where you said restart, I didn't do that so I'll try now. Still not found the one causing the problem. thanks for the help

clearcut

Another solution is to try a different web browser. Google Chrome and Firefox are good choices. Safari and Opera are less frequently used but still good.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Jeff

I have a current hatred for Safari. Only from a web developing standpoint. I spent 4 hours the other day trying to get a stupid web button for a client to work that worked on every other platform other than Safari Mobile. It even worked on the online apple emulators, but not on the real thing.

Ox

I'm starting to wonder if all these new technologies and/or programs are a bad idea.  It seems they have trouble communicating back and forth.  Silly little things that cause men like Jeff to spend 4 hours of precious time trying to make them work.  >:(

On one hand, a single system like Windows sounds like a good idea because everything would be the same and should work but it creates a monopoly.

Several choices, like Windows, Linux and Apple keeps a monopoly away but can create compatibility issues.

What to do?  Beats me, but try to remember one thing, xlogger.  Just about every time you do something on a Windows machine that involves loading or deleting a program it needs to be restarted until it's permanent and takes hold.  Hopefully you notice your problems going away and your machine speeding up eventually.  :)

xlogger

seems to be better, now I would like to get rid of the rest. wonder what the top 3 on my list do? I still have them engaged.

Jeff

You are not going to hurt anything just disabling all of them.

Ox

Exactly what Jeff said.  I really wanted to say that at the beginning but I wanted to step back and let someone with more knowledge of computers to say so!  I would hate to give bad advice and have someone have a bad experience because of me.  Hope it all works out.