iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help finding timber

Started by DougW, January 29, 2016, 11:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougW

Good morning

My name is Doug and I am new to the board. I am a wood worker and builder so I started making my own lumber with two chainsaw mills I purchased. I can see that that is way to slow for what I want so now I am purchasing a bandsaw mill. Addicting hobby but it is one of the most fun things I have ever done.

Anyway, my reason for being here this morning is that I am having a difficult time finding logs delivered by the truck load to my home in Mixon, Texas. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be a great help.

I am looking to start with red cedar in apx. the 10 inch round size, full length, prefer dried - delivered / I am also interest in other types of wood in mixed loads but for the moment my need is red cedar.

If you can help me, please feel free to let me know.

K gotta get back outside and get to work, I am building new shop, and doing it my way. Making all the wood. Slow going but soon I will have the nicest shop I have ever had.

Have a good one

Doug

Ocklawahaboy

Most of us saw green logs and then dry the lumber.  I get small trailer loads of logs off the popular online want ad sites.  If you need commercial quantities some of the boards here on forestry and logging might help you more.  I would expect all of those truck loads to be green timber. I have a feeling that the more specialized your ask, the harder it is going to be to find a logger and hauler to work with and the more you are going to pay. 

Thought about tree services?

Texas Ranger

you are in the heart of Texas timber country, make contact with small loggers, small mills.  You are on the far eastern edge of the cedar belt, so it could be your looking in the wrong spots.  Check with the source of loggers and such with the Texas Forest Service or Texas Forestry Association, contact the local forest service office and see if they have a list of sources.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ljohnsaw

I'm used to the big trees we have out here and don't know anything about your neck of the woods - but why are you looking for "small" logs (10")?  From my limited experience, you can get so much more lumber out of a 12, 14 or even 16" log.  It is a handling issue for the size limit?  And what is "full length" mean to you?  Tree length or 12-16'?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

DougW

Thanks for all the posts.

As to the size of the logs, the reason I am looking in the 10 inch round size is that these particular logs will be used in the construction of small cedar hunting and camping cabins. My other needs for truck loads, I would much prefer larger sized logs. For the cedar logs, 16 feet or longer would work the best.

Tks
Doug

LeeB

Why not use peeled pine for the cabins if it's log cabins you are going for. Much more abundant where you are.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!