iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wisteria

Started by Wudman, February 04, 2016, 12:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wudman

Most foresters in the south have an "appreciation" of wisteria.  It is normally from trying to hack your way through it in the woods.  I saw this vine in Sneads Ferry, NC.  I thought it deserved some publicity.  For scale, I am about 6' tall and 215 pounds.  This is the most impressive wisteria I have ever seen.  That is a pecan tree that it is climbing.

Wudman

"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Magicman

That has to be a "Champion" Wisteria for sure.  I'll bet that Pecan tree top is completely covered with that vine.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Wenrich

We have one like that outside the local park.  It is growing up a sizable red oak.  Yours might be bigger.  Each year I threaten to take pictures of it, especially while it's in bloom.  Keep forgetting.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You got my attention Wudman. Thanks for sharing this.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

curdog

Ugggh,  I just had cold chills at the mention of wisteria. We did a grinding project a year or two ago and the wisteria would wrap around the grinder head and shut it down about every ten minutes or so, and with hatchets and loppers it would take another 5 -10 minutes to get it back up and running again. I hate that stuff, probably equally as much as kudzu.

Ianab

That's pretty impressive for a Wisteria.

Rata vines would put it to shame though. They start as an epiphyte in the top of a tree, and send roots down to the ground. Given enough time ( a few hundred years) they form a tree in their own right, and stay standing when the host tree eventually dies.

Ends up like this

The tree is hollow, where the original host tree has rotted away, but the Rata that was wrapped around it is now self supporting still sound.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

If and I mean if,the deer would leave my wisteria,it would get that size in about another 50 years.   ;D  It grows 6 feet a year and the deer trim it back 5½ feet each year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scgargoyle

My neighbor has one she trained into a small tree form, standing on it's own. I'd like to have one if I thought I could keep it under control. Do they re-seed all over the place?
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

WDH

I hate the stuff too.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

QuoteDo they re-seed all over the place?
Yes, but root sprouting is more of a problem.

We have two Wisteria "trees" here in our yard.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scgargoyle

That's a nice looking tree- I could go for one of those. I think I could handle the root sprouts, as I would mow around it.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

WDH

They will strangle you in your own bed  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

There used to be a Wisteria vine that size in a yard in Greensboro, Fl. It too was growing on a pecan tree, but they cut down the tree and the vine several years ago.

They are beautiful and fragrant when blooming, but are a real pest.  They will shoot a runner out under the grass and it will come up inside of a wall if there's a hole.  I have seen it tear down a building.  A good part of the effort I have put into this place has been fighting it back. It grows incredibly fast down here!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

customsawyer

That is a impressive one for sure. I have been hired to kill it on several tracts of timber. Most times it started as a little tree like the one in MM pic. Well then they move out of the little house in the woods and the wisteria then takes over. I have seen it cover over a acre and pulling pines down.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Kbeitz

I got one small bush of it....

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WDH

Uh oh  :).

Soon, the machine shop, wood work shop, weld shop, saw mill
and your new forum friends will be overrun with it  :D..

thecfarm

Mine will look like that in August. I have not checked it this winter. My stems are getting bigger,but that is about it for size.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kbeitz

Quote from: WDH on February 12, 2016, 08:57:39 PM
Uh oh  :).

Soon, the machine shop, wood work shop, weld shop, saw mill
and your new forum friends will be overrun with it  :D..
I don't think so. It took me around 10 years to get it to look like that.
For some reason it does not like my ground or something. Very slow growing.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

yukon cornelius

That makes my eyes itchy just looking at it! My momma has one in her yard and I can't breathe when it blooms. I love them though. Anyone ever mill a big one like that? Someone once asked me to mill one he had been beading for years. I decided in fear of destroying it
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Thank You Sponsors!