iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Springtime in Tucson

Started by mesquite buckeye, March 07, 2016, 11:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

Yards in the desert often look a bit different from places with more rain. Ours is coming into bloom and I thought you might enjoy seeing it. :)

Penstemon parryi, The common penstemon seen in the Tucson basin.

They are very nice when there are a bunch of them. They get 2-4 ft tall. 

Closeup of the flowers.

Another view. The big rosette succulents are aloes. Most of these come from South Africa. The pretty green one in the middle is Aloe vanbaleni. Here is a closeup of the flowers. These have been going now for a couple of months. We have to protect them if it goes below 25° or we lose the flowers.

Aloe saponaria, also called zebra aloe. Probably the most commonly grown aloe in Tucson.

Orange bulbine. 

Another South African introduction. Blooms off  and on almost year round.

Thelocactus macdowellii This one has been moved around to like 5 genera so far. We shall see how long this name sticks. Anyway they are pretty. Native to Coahuila and Nuevo Leon (two Mexican states bordering Texas).

Another hedgehog cactus in bud. The buds are those fuzzy things popping out the sides. I'll try to get a photo when they open. Can't recall the name at the moment. Maybe Echinocereus baileyi, but not sure. It is another Mexican species.

Silver torch cactus. Cleistocactus straussii. That's as far as the flowers open. They are pollinated by hummingbirds and I guess that's all the room they need. ;D This plant is from the mountains of Bolivia and Argentina.

An Adenium hybrid. These guys come from South Africa and can't take very much cold at all. This guy is going to stay in the greenhouse for another 2 weeks at least. They bloom almost all the time if they are warm and happy. Sort of like an undersized oleander with oversized flowers and succulent stems. They get really cool when they are old.

Angelita daisy, Tetraneuris acaulis native to the mid elevations in AZ. Blooms almost year round if it has water.

Another penstemon that is part of my penstemon breeding program.

Tufted evening primrose, Oenothera caespitosa a mid elevation native. The flowers are about 3" and bloom at night, opening in the evening. This one is perennial.

This yellow one is an annual wildflower.

Indigo bush, Dalea pulchra native here from the upper desert to the lower oak woodlands. Not really an indigo, just a common name. Common names are stupid. Often. Some scientific names are also stupid. Work with what you got, I guess. :-\

Lady Bank's rose coming into bloom.

And yes, it is orange blossom time, very smelly.

And the peak of the citrus harvest season.

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WV Sawmiller

MB,

Real nice pix. It just makes me think those of us in the South need to get ready for pine pollen season. Maybe we all need to move out west?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sandhills

That's some nice pictures, thanks for sharing that.  We usually visit my inlaws down there for a few days during the winter but no one (including them) got the chance this year, I really enjoy the desert.

tule peak timber

Some pics from my place this morning...yikes! Keep in mind I'm 45 minutes from Palm Springs -and my palms are loaded with snow. Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

buzywoodliff

Thanks for sharing the flower pictures.... The snow pictures, not so much.  :)

Ready for spring, they're calling for rain today so I'm sure our snow will turn to mud soon.

I got to spend a weekend in Globe Arizona a few years ago and really enjoyed it ( and the food )

It's on my bucket list to visit again someday.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 07, 2016, 12:29:57 PM
MB,

Real nice pix. It just makes me think those of us in the South need to get ready for pine pollen season. Maybe we all need to move out west?

We are also sneezing. Native ragweeds, mulberries, African sumac then olive, mesquite and bermuda grass. :'(
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Rob, you can keep that cold. I don't want to lose next winter's citrus crop.

We only got 2.7 minutes of rain out of this storm so far, but it is a lot cooler than it has been. :o

sprucebunny

Thanks very much for the flower pictures.  8) 8)

The snow, I got. With ice under it...then mud, then ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Roxie

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on March 07, 2016, 03:51:21 PM

We are also sneezing. Native ragweeds, mulberries, African sumac then olive, mesquite and bermuda grass. :'(

Yes, but it's a dry sneeze.   :D
Say when

coxy

nice pics :)      but :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :D :D

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

Penstemon parryi is at peak bloom in Tucson.

Spring is about 2 weeks early this week. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

mesquite buckeye

More stuff. 

Boyce Thompson Hedgehog.

Long spined prickly pear.

A pink hybrid coral bell.

red coral bells

Lady Bank's Rose at peak bloom.

This is the hedgehog that was in bud last week.

Adenium hybrid. We keep this one in the GH in the winter. South Africa

Our Lord's Candle, Yucca whipplei

Growing from about 6" to a foot a day. Cool 8) 8) 8)

A promising penstemon we are working on. Looks good, but lots more evaluation needed before we do anything with it or name it.

sprucebunny

Beautiful flowers ! So different in the desert.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Kbeitz

I think I'll just keep my briers. They don't look near as dangerous as some of your
pointy lookin things.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

mesquite buckeye

More stuff.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 22, 2016, 07:12:43 PM
I think I'll just keep my briers. They don't look near as dangerous as some of your
pointy lookin things.

Dangerous? Watch someone try to wade through a multiflora rose bush sometime! Like a barbed wire fence with roots.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

tule peak timber

Nice pics Russ,,,,You are about a month ahead of us weather wise. We had a snow flurry last week !  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

More stuff.

Road kill cactus. Another hummingbird pollinated one.

ocotillo

more hybrid penstemons

Penstemon 'Red Headed Beauty', named for the fabulous Darlene. They are a little flopped over from being in too much shade, but still Fabulous. ;D

New Mexican Verbena

Frankincense, Boswellia sacra. Gets to be a small tree eventually.

Alicoche, Echinocereus pentalophus another hedgehog cactus. This form of it is a spreading groundcover.

The fabulous Darlene approves.

Onthesauk

And I'll bet you got pretty good rain over the weekend!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Den Socling

We are in Phoenix for a few days. There are a lot of flowers. Went out to White Tanks today. https://www.google.com/search?q=white+tanks&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjMh_X Yesterday it poured rain. And I mean down poured. Today is 72 and beautiful.

mesquite buckeye

We will be at saguaro hill on Friday and Saturday if you want to check it out. ;D

mesquite buckeye

Another nice penstemon we are working on. 

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Onthesauk on April 11, 2016, 08:08:18 PM
And I'll bet you got pretty good rain over the weekend!

About 0.6" storm total. We will take it. It was getting very dusty.

Thank You Sponsors!