The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: New toy - Kohler 16hp engine questions  (Read 2672 times)

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
Re: New toy - Kohler 16hp engine questions
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 12:34:12 AM »
New carb didn't come in on Saturday  :( Tracking says Monday.  So I've been doing little things that needed doing.  The pins for the blade were all wrong.  The two big ones were about 1/4" to skinny so it flopped about and the top pin (on the ram) was a way-too-long bolt.  It was all threads, so not too strong.  I made up new lower pins from a piece of 1" rod that came with it.  It had a slight bend so it could not be run all the way across - so I made two pins out of it.  I replaced the too long bolt with a bolt that the threadless part was long enough to reach.  If it bends, I'll replace it with a grade 8 bolt.

It has a parking brake (that could double as an emergency brake) that was stuck.  It is actually a caliper disk brake mounted on the drive line.  Pretty fancy.  Tore it apart, cleaned (now shinny aluminum) and lubed it.  It actually has replaceable pads.  Made by Hurst.  I was impressed.

I finished up the wiring and was messing with the starter.  Even though I installed the new battery ground wire, it wasn't a good ground.  I was measuring 7 vdc at the starter???  Redid the ground but the solenoid wouldn't fire.  Then I realized the piece of iron it was mounted on, I had removed from the engine to get at some hydraulics.  No ground, dooh!  After reattaching it, engine turns over just fine.

Took the tires off and tossed them in the truck.  I'll hit the tire place and see what they want for their tires.  Might get them there if not too much more than eBay.

Moved on to the fuel pump.  It wasn't making any noise when the key was on.  A really old one that apparently is rebuild-able.  But the electrical seems shot - so off to the store in the morning.  After I flush the tank, I should have it fired up by the afternoon tomorrow (assuming the carb shows up) :)  Oh, yeah, the push-pull cables (steering and parking brake) I ordered should be in Monday or Tuesday.

So just a thought.  Reading other posts about snow plowing/blowing and traction.  Wide tires are great for flotation, but bad for snow traction (so they say).  The hubs are 5 on 4.5 - pretty standard.  I'm thinking I could get some small car tires (i.e. narrow), throw some chains on them and be all set for snow work.  Wada think?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 07:28:40 AM »
While the tires are off, consider having them put some valve stem guards on, if it doesn't already have them. Knocking off the stems usually isn't an issue when ditching, but it can be for some of your other planned uses.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 06:42:57 PM »
Good point John,I forgot that one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 10:20:02 PM »
A rather successful day with what seemed a major setback.

Picked up a fuel pump this morning.  Hard to find a pump that is rated at 1-1.5 psi...  I found one that does 1.5-4 and since my tank is below the engine and fuel must be pumped up about 18", I figure that one will be safe.

The gas cap fits pretty snug.  I ran new hose to the tank and was able to blow (pressurize) into the hose and then stick it in a bucket to catch the old fuel as it ran out.  About 2 cups of green stinky goop.  Dumped in a little gas, rocked the trencher to mix and drained again, and again, and again until it was running fairly clean.  Then I hooked up the pump (with filters) and cycled some "clean" gas for a while back into the tank to rinse it well then drained it again.

So just then, the carb arrives  8)  I add the intake elbow from the old carb, make a gasket (why don't they include one?) and scrounge my junk pile to find a tiny circlip that is needed for the throttle linkage (why don't they include one?).

Put some fresh gas in the tank and crank away.  One POP and then nothing, just some fuel mist exiting the carb  :-X

So I pull the head off and find the intake valve stuck up  :(  I'm bummed at this point.  I take the time to de-carb the head, valves and piston.  I push down on the intake valve and it pops down.  Hmm.  Hand crank and it sticks again.  Push down, it pops down.  Did it a few more times and all is good.  Must have gunked up the stem sitting for 7 years and when it was turned over, it stuck.  Blew out the intake with carb cleaner.  Put the carb back on and then realized I forgot to put a air shroud back.  I'm getting good and pulling off the carb.  Dug out my old click torque wrench (was about to sell it on eBay several times) and torqued the head back on.

Cranked it over and it sputtered to life.  Barely turning over, it sounded like a hit-n-miss and looked like a steam engine puffing out clouds of white smoke.  Probably the carb cleaner and a little oil?  After it warmed up, just a little bit of smoke.  The muffler is vertical and quite rusty.  I was having a shower of rust particles as it was running.  Despite the bad muffler, it is actually a pretty quite running machine.

I have the wheels off and also the drive chain.  I was able to run the hydraulic drive motor forward and reverse and raise and lower the chain boom.  I have the hoses off the blade and will check that tomorrow.  Hopefully the cable to do the steering and the brake will come in tomorrow so I can complete my work.

I could not get tires locally for less than $113 apiece  :o  I took one more look on Amazon and a new listing (3/31/16) had some 23.0 10.50x12 ag (lug) tires for $60 each and free shipping.  I ordered 4 and they gave me a $10 discount ???  Not gonna complain about that!  Also ordered some tubes.  Tubes are supposed to be here Friday (already shipped this morning) and don't know on the tires yet.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 11:26:52 PM »
Got my tubes yesterday but tires are due in next week.  Also found an air filter assembly on eBay - should be here early next week with filters and perhaps my control cables.  I decide to pop my tires off the rims so I can clean them up and maybe weld on some valve guards.  Made this:

Works pretty well.  Here is the hood in its current condition:

There is a grab bar that will get re-installed that goes across the top of the dash board on the hood.  I rotated the muffler back to where it should be and the air cleaner will fit behind the cutout in the dash.  I have a plate that covers the hole.  I happen to have the top off of a front load washing machine.  It's just a tad too big but I like the rolled edges.  Whadaya think if it had a new paint job?  Too red-neck?

John Sawicky

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2016, 05:56:04 AM »
Looks like it was made to fit. Good idea. Redneck it.  ;D Good idea to protect the valves stems.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2016, 10:32:19 AM »
Heck, that's more genius than redneck  :D!

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2016, 07:39:59 PM »
  Handy bead breaker!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2016, 11:21:05 PM »
Man, I hate waiting!  My 4 tires were shipped last Tuesday.  They sent me a message that they ship in pairs and they might get separated in transit.  They might arrive a day apart.  Saturday one pair arrived.  Ok, the next should get here on Monday.  Nope.  Today?  Nope.  Figured out the FedEx tracking so I could pick up the second tracking number.  Both pairs arrived in Sacramento on Friday.  One pair came here (10 miles from Sac), the other decided to head off to Phoenix. ::)  Today it is in Los Banos, California (about 200 miles away) and is supposed to make it to me tomorrow.

I cut the old tires off and cleaned up and painted the rims over the weekend.  A bit of rust in the two that had tubes.  Probably from sitting flat in a muddy field for 7 years.  I mounted the one pair of tires with tubes today.  I had to shim the front axle a bit.  There is an angle piece in the right fender to protect the ram that lowers the digging chain.  The tire rubs on it a little.  I stuck about 1/4" of washers between the mount and the axle saddle to push the axle further away from the frame.

My control cables came in late today.  Won't be able to install them and the tires until Thursday  :-\
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2016, 11:30:46 PM »
Got my second pair of tires today.  Mounted them up and its looking pretty good.  I added valve guards.  I painted the fender wells because the tires had rubbed the paint off and it was rusty.

The "fender" you see on the left was slightly bent (ran into something?) and was hitting the new tires.  Had to bend it out about 1/2".

Yes, I have the tread directions reversed on the front and rear.  Normally, this unit would be going to the right all the time, trenching or back filling.  But since I will be swapping the chain for a snow blower, I need it to be bi-directional.  Just need to install the steering cable and the parking brake cable.
John Sawicky

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2016, 05:43:39 AM »
Looking good!!

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2016, 08:55:40 AM »
Yes, I have the tread directions reversed on the front and rear.  Normally, this unit would be going to the right all the time, trenching or back filling.  But since I will be swapping the chain for a snow blower, I need it to be bi-directional.
If it does not work, you could always crisscross either the front or back.  It's looking good.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
WM Kohler engine questions

Started by delvis on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2015, 10:31:09 AM
by octam1
xx
Battery charging problem on LT30 with Kohler Magnum 16hp

Started by retseih on Sawmills and Milling

13 Replies
Last post October 23, 2012, 07:43:40 AM
by retseih