TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Makes No  (Read 5102 times)

Offline scgargoyle

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Makes No
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 06:36:17 AM »
I just did some quick research, and a dollar in 1900 is equal to about $28 today. That means that a quarter today is worth about what a penny was back then. We could get rid of the penny, nickel, and dime.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 06:59:36 AM »
The U.S. penny used to be worth more than it's face value, but that was back when they were made of copper, now they're made out of zinc.

Anyone ever notice that a pocket full of change doesn't even "jingle" any more?    :-\
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline goose63

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 07:32:17 AM »
I never take change out of my pocket to pay part of the bill it all go's in a coffee can for a year there can be as much as $500 in it.

A friend of mine did it for 25 years the lady at the bank was not happy when we brought in 6 10 gallon cream cans full of coin's  :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 08:21:33 AM »
   On our project in Kristiansand Norway many of the guys did that with their loose coins. A Kroner looked like a penny but was actually worth about 7 cents. They had one coin about the size of a quarter that was worth about $2 so it built up. At the end of their assignment the guys would often bring me their coins to cash out because I had the petty cash and the only bank account. I found the bank had a machine I could dump them in. It would count the money, spit out the foreign coins and give a tally of what I had deposited and put in in my bank account. From that I'd go back and settle up with the guy in paper money. One guy had close to $1,000 he had accumulated in change over the course of his assignment. Many had over $400 built up.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 08:40:35 AM »
If/when I need a " washer I'll drill a hole through a penny.  Store bought " washers cost 3.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 08:47:30 AM »
I still have a dozen pristine $1.00 bills (Canadian). Just for laughs, every 5 years or so I will try to spend one. I've never been turned away yet.

Funny thing though -- usually as I leave I'll see the clerk fishing a loonie out of her purse and swapping it for the dollar bill in the till ;D.

My Son has a collection of pristine  $2 bills. Every once in a  while he takes one out and takes it to a restaurant.

Most times the young staff think it is a counterfeit. He does not spend them but it is sure interesting the response they incite. 
If you ain't livin on the edge you are takin up way to much room. Of course at my age if I get too close to that edge any more theres a good chance I may fall off.
2001 Dodge 1500 4x4. 2018 F150
2007 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 almost Super
2 Logrite 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 10:38:32 AM »
If/when I need a " washer I'll drill a hole through a penny.  Store bought " washers cost 3.

That's against the law.   :D

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2016, 11:42:06 AM »
Lynn,

A Japanese yen 5 or 50 yen piece already has a hole in it. My son was born in Okinawa while I was stationed there and we mounted his mobile over his crib using a 50 yen piece for a washer.

We had a monument business in NW Fla and Dad would stick the granite pieces together with a sealing compound like a thick caulk. To keep it from squeezing completely out we always put a penny in each corner of every piece of granite as a spacer. Was cheaper than cutting up other shims.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2016, 12:07:03 PM »

So is the income tax but that's another can of soup  O0
Boy, back in my day..

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 12:10:00 PM »
When we raise a frame at a site we always place a coin in the corner pocket under a post. The coin must have the year date of the frame:

When I was doing a timber frame interior job we used a penny as the date marker because a penny is exactly 3/4" in diameter and it is easy to bore a hole:

The above penny was going to be hidden under a "dutchman" patch that was suppose to look like it was holding two timbers together end to end.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2016, 03:24:19 PM »
I have a bunch of 1/2 pennys that my grandma gave me when I would do some things for her when I was little  thought i was rich till I got older and learnt how to count and figured out I was getting ripped off  :D :D

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2016, 09:09:03 PM »

During the Cabin Addition "Bedroom Project" I "found" the penny and business card that I put in the wall in 1995.   

And then added a 2015 penny and my present business card when I covered it back up.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2016, 09:31:56 PM »

You made me look, and there are many answers:  It is against the law to Sometimes. According to Title 18, U. S. C. section 331, it is illegal to "fraudulently alter, deface, mutilate, impair, diminish, falsify, scale, or lighten any of the coins coined at the mints of the United States, or any foreign coins which are by law made current or are in actual use or circulation as money within the United States".

The issue with this is what "fraudulently" exactly means. According to the US mint itself, "the mere act of compressing coins into souvenirs is not illegal, without other factors being present" because it probably doesn't entail fraudulent intent.

If you file a penny down to dime size and put it in a vending machine it is fraud and very much illegal.  Drilling a hole in a penny and using it for a washer has no fraudulent motive or intent. 

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 07:22:25 AM »
So a hole is defacing, lighten, mutilate,  I think that's more than compressing.
Call it what you want.

Offline r.man

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2016, 07:36:36 AM »
As to collecting pocket change I had a friend who paid for his moose hunt up north every year with quarters salvaged from his pocket change at the end of the day. One year he found he didn't have enough money with just the quarters so he started saving the new loonie. That fixed his problem.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2016, 07:45:53 AM »
I hate it when your change due is ~ $0.98 and the cashier gives you all nickels and pennies instead of a dollar bill
In the great north, since we got rid of the penny, we would get the $1 as change. now if it was .97 cents they would round down and you would get your pocket of nickles and dimes.
LT40HD, 742b Bobcat, Sthil v170,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Online Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2016, 08:32:27 AM »
I hate it when your change due is ~ $0.98 and the cashier gives you all nickels and pennies instead of a dollar bill
In the great north, since we got rid of the penny, we would get the $1 as change. now if it was .97 cents they would round down and you would get your pocket of nickles and dimes.

Same here.

98c change gets you a nice shiny gold coloured coin.

That's good to buy anything worth up to $1.04....
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2016, 11:30:38 AM »
When the young lady in my avatar was four, her Granpa would give her any quarters that he had in his pocket, and she would dutifully put them in her coin bank.  One day she and her Mom were going shopping, and as Granpa reached into his pocket he said, "Let me give you some money," and she replied, "Now Granpa, if I'm going shopping I'm going to need the green kind."  They grow up so fast.   :D
Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2016, 03:42:39 PM »
Yes they do!  :)

Offline Den Socling

• Senior Member x2
  • just wondering
    • Share Post
    • PC Specialties
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2016, 08:03:05 PM »
When we are in NZ and I'm in a check out line, I just hold out a handful of change and tell the cashier to take what they need.  :D Mighty confusing!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Old and New Growth wood,What makes it old and what makes it new?

Started by JOE.G on Forestry and Logging

67 Replies
Last post January 05, 2013, 10:29:21 PM
by Jay C. White Cloud
xx
makes me wonder

Started by woodmills1 on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2014, 11:23:13 AM
by DMcCoy
xx
BLT's, what makes them the best?

Started by drobertson on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

42 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 05:02:49 PM
by POSTON WIDEHEAD
xx
JCB Saw, who makes it?

Started by Bernhard on Chainsaws

6 Replies
Last post April 01, 2007, 06:21:43 PM
by Striker