iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BT-6870 built by two old guys

Started by svart ole, April 22, 2016, 10:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

svart ole

Raining now and looks like it will for a day or two so outdoor video on on hold for a bit. But figured we needed some signs for the side of the machine. Tossed some tamarack in the boiler and warmed up the garage. Figured a nice wood V carved sign would be nice. Now that can be a bit of a job but not if you use the right tool. So here is a video of that process. Life is a learning process and sometimes embracing new technology is not a bad thing. As soon as the paint drys enough I will take a picture of the finished product.

https://youtu.be/l9Ob19N0O34

My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

WmFritz

You guys are killing me with suspense! The video is private.  :'(
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Shotgun

Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

svart ole

First time putting a video on YouTube. Changed it to unlisted. Hope that works. I have not had my coffee yet so I am somewhat dysfunctional.
Well somewhat more than usual.
My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

Jeff

How does the plastic snowman fit into all of this? :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gearbox

Jeff that snowman is the quality control engineer .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

WmFritz

Svart ole, that engine story was an interesting read. At 6ยข a gallon for diesel, it was less then $12.00  to fly from Dallas to D.C. I looked  at a snowmobile in Naubinway Mi, with a tank engine similar to this one. I didn't look at it close enough to remember if it was gas or diesel, but now I'm curious enough to go look again.

BTW... what does MOS 67N20 mean?
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

svart ole

WmFritz

It is a Army Military Occupational Specialty 67N20 is a Single Engine Turbine Powered Utility Helicopter Mechanic (UH-1 Huey). With that you can be a Crew Chief/Doorgunner on UH-1B model gunships Among other things the prerequisite for that MOS was you had to have a MOS of 67A10 Basic Fixed Wing Aircraft Mechanic first. As a bonus it got you a all expense paid trip to South East Asia. 

svart ole

Ok guys here is what you end up with after all that commotion. This is one of two that where cut out of one 8 ft. 2X10 with a 90 degree V bit at one time after making a leveling pass with a surfacing bit. You have to V carve into flat stock or the image can end up very distorted as the width of the cuts are not correct when you are done. Then it is a trip to the planer or sander and hope for the best. If you skip that it is a good way of wasting a very expensive chunk of imported hardwood. You only do that once. As my Dad would say, "You never learn a valuable lesson unless it costs you something".

Yes, I do make signs.

WmFritz

I'm glad I asked and thank you for your service. I've never heard it expressed as an 'all inclusive paid vacation before.'  ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

svart ole

Ok so it quit raining for a bit and we put the signs on. Took a few pictures. I will feed you some a bit at a time.

Signs installed

Feed Trough Pusher Drive

Logger RK

Looks well built. It'll be nice to see it working. You's get double thumbs up from me just for the color  ::)

r.man

Hey B or T, what are the DC motors off of?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

svart ole

svart ole

Next up we have the drive on the descrambler deck. Same DC drive as on the pusher.

svart ole

May as well give you a picture of the descrambler as well.

svart ole

In the photo above the dog leg stakes are in the transport position and held in place by the straps for now. They will be rotated 180 degrees for normal operation. We found we could not purchase any ready made conveyor chain off the shelf so we made our own. The fingers we made ourselves the chain is standard #80.

svart ole

If I ever set up another sawmill one of those descramblers is going on the end of the log deck to make loading logs a snap. The lower end would be close to the ground and all you would have to do is dump your logs in and go at it. Maybe I should make a few and sell them to band mill guys.  ;D

r.man

Have you tested the descrambler or is it a known design. Now that you mention it the drives look like a winch with a sprocket instead of a cable drum.

barbender

I live in the same area as these 2. With them being all enigmatic and mysterious about this process, and me having a few days off due to the soaking rain we got the last few days, I could do some sluething and find their top secret location and get some stealth pictures off the machine.
Too many irons in the fire

svart ole

r man,

Descrambler is a common design more or less. HF 2500# with drum modifications and propitiatory controls. :-X

barbender,

Give a call but be ready to sign a nondisclosure agreement.  ;D

WmFritz

Quote from: svart ole on April 26, 2016, 11:21:59 AM
barbender,

Give a call but be ready to sign a nondisclosure agreement.  ;D

blindsmiley
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

barbender

I'll have to look you two up some day. We could triple the trouble we could get in. Plus, I'm not very smart but pretty strong, if that would be any benefit ;D  (Someone told me I was strong like Ox, smart like tractor ;D)
Too many irons in the fire

Ox

Heh.  Reminds me of a T shirt I saw once being worn by a big guy stacking sandbags in a flood area.  It said "I may not be very smart but I can lift heavy things".  Cracks me up every time I think of it.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

r.man

Mine is " I am not very smart but I can lift heavy boxes."

Thank You Sponsors!