iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling in the dark

Started by raycon, October 29, 2004, 08:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raycon

Next week the sunset will be 5:00 pm or there abouts.
 Anyone milling outdoors after sunset? If so what kind of setup do you have?
 I'm thinking about giving it a whack.
Lot of stuff..

sigidi

Hey there Ray,

down here I have to extend my daylight hours sometimes, as I never seem to be sent enought (can you fix that for me Jeff? :D)

With having bought a block of land, my wife begining to farm Alpaca's, me starting up my milling business and both of us wanting to build our own home all the the past two months, I'm sure you understand.

To get around all this, I use two stands of halogen lights, each stand is two 500w lights, Yep 2000w of cornea frying, daylight making monstronsity, I set them up on their tripods at each end of the mill, so that I don't get left in the dark too much.

I'll try and post a pic if Wifey ever lets me have the camera!!!

Hope it helps
Always willing to help - Allan

RacinRex

I have a hard enough time making good lumber when its light out  :D

I am in Upstate NY and I feel your pain. Especially since I'm still stuck in my 925er and just sawing part time. Limits me to 9 hrs a day on the weekend. Just not enough sawdust for me. I try to do alot of prep and maint while its dark out so I can saw with every minute of light I get.

Very similar setup to sigidi.

Two stands with 2 500W halogens each. Run them off a generator if I'm away from real power. Burn as much in gas powerin the lights as I can make in lumber.  :-[ get frustrated and turn off.
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

Brad_S.

Lights mounted on the dump bed headboard of the truck, pointing backwards. Shadows can be annoying though. Recomended for emergency (finishing up) use only.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Arthur

on our mills we mount wide angle halogen lights at each end directly down (covers an area clearly of 3mx3m)

we also mount one on the cradle so the operator can clearly see where they are walking and also see the log as if its day time.  This one is powered via the engine on the cradle the others need there own power source (small genset).

Ideal for finishing the job but you will need at least two others on tripods to cover the work area for extended use.

Bibbyman

We've got a sawshed with 4 overhead lights with 200 watt bulbs.  Other flood lights under the sheds + others on the outside of the building.  We use to saw some evenings up to 9:00pm but not much any more.

Arky installed a 12V light to the front of the sawhead on Wanda.  Had one mounted on the control box but it got knocked off. :D

Useful sawmill mods

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

When I can't see to saw, I shut it down and everybody, inclulding me, says "Thank Goodness".

ohsoloco

In a way I'm glad my mill is still at my parent's house.  Now, by the time it gets dark I'm ready for a nice, hot, home-cooked meal and some strong coffee  :)

DanG

This is the weekend I have dreaded for as long as there has been Daylight Savings Time. Somehow, though, the return to Standard time don't mean diddly-squat, since I retired. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ohsoloco

What's to dread?  You get an extra hour of sleep...or in most cases, an extra hour to stay up  :D

sigidi

Hey Arthur,

can ya post a pic or give a url to see the set-up your talkin of?

AS I am always burning the candle at both ends, I'm thinking of something a little more permanent with respect to lighting - running some machine lighting off the mill's battery, something to see the set-works better, not to light the area.

TIA
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!