TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Chainsaw boots?  (Read 3433 times)

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Chainsaw boots?
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 11:25:25 PM »
An update on my Haix XR200, the soles started to seperate from the leather uppers at about a year and a half old. Not acceptable at all for a nearly $300 boot. They are only worn in the warmer weather, and I spend 90% of my time in them in a machine. I know John and I have a difference of opinion on these boots, but I am giving them a big 👎👎👎 They are stiff and never did get to be comfortable for me, and I had my worst ankle sprain EVER wearing these things, personally I think due to the extreme stiffness and low height. I will never buy another pair of these.

Wow! We certainly have had different experiences. Mine are holding up well, though I don't use them full time. I've found the ankle support fine - tough my ankles have never been a problem (it's usually my knees which have troubles - which is why I tend to choose lower-cut boots: the more you lock in your ankles, the more stress it puts on your knees).

Did you contact Haix about the sole problem?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 09:13:49 AM »
No, I didn't John, and maybe I should. Maybe they would stand behind them.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 03:10:04 PM »
Well, update on this issue- I contacted Haix's customer service department with the issue about the sole separation, and they responded that they were going to do a courtesy replacement with a new pair of boots. I really wasn't expecting that and I have to give them Kudos for standing behind their product, when they didn't have to (they weren't under warranty anymore). All they asked for were pictures of the boots and the serial#.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 05:36:28 PM »
Bartender, that's great to hear!
Here's a pic of mine.
My Haix Protector Volt boots are 4 years old now and still no sole separation. I wear them everyday at work 8 months of the year. Most times they have climbing spurs strapped to them which are really hard on boots.
I've  changed their laces about 3 or 4 times already, their heels are worn down pretty good and one lace hook broke last season but their still holding out good. :)

Their a little stiff when new but it don't take long when their buttery soft.
Great arborist boot.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 06:55:25 PM »
Holmen, I like to see that and that's more along the lines of what I was expecting from mine.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 10:48:29 PM »
Well, update on this issue- I contacted Haix's customer service department with the issue about the sole separation, and they responded that they were going to do a courtesy replacement with a new pair of boots. I really wasn't expecting that and I have to give them Kudos for standing behind their product, when they didn't have to (they weren't under warranty anymore). All they asked for were pictures of the boots and the serial#.

Glad they stood behind their product for you.

A word of caution: With almost any boot with a glued-on sole, it's important NOT to dry them with high heat, like putting your feet up near a camp fire, or leaving your boots neat a wood stove to dry. There have been advances in the adhesives, but many of the adhesives used in shoes get brittle after being overheated, which leads to separation when you start wearing and flexing them. I'm not saying that is what happened to you, just something to be aware of.

Also: I've had two pairs of Merrill low-cut hiking shoes where the soles started coming off in less than 6 months of light use. I thought the first ones might have just been a fluke, since I've been using Merrills for years. I bought another pair of the same design, and had the same results. I was about to give up on Merrills for good, when I thought to ask a friend who works for a distributor. He told me there was a period of time where they had problems with their adhesive. He suggested bringing them back to where I bought them to see if Merrill would replace them - they did, with no hassles, and the new ones are still working fine after more than a year of use.

So crap does happen from time to time. It's not a good sing when it does, but the real test is how the manufacturer reacts.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Chainsaw boots

Started by gman98 on Forestry and Logging

20 Replies
Last post May 25, 2016, 11:09:59 PM
by killamplanes
xx
Chainsaw boots

Started by MrMoo on Chainsaws

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2003, 05:13:53 AM
by dan-l-b