The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Husky and the 359  (Read 1808 times)

Offline edge

• Share Post
Husky and the 359
« on: October 31, 2004, 07:31:13 AM »
I'm new to the forum, been reading a lot and you all have a ton of good info. here!  I was recently in the market for a new saw, and was of course looking at the Stihl and Husky lines.  I wanted to post my buying experience in hopes that it may help others out and I also wanted some feedback on my choice.

I'm looking to run a saw in the 57-61cc range with an 18 inch bar and 3/8" chain.  Although they are close, I prefer to pay some extra bucks to go with the pro-grade saws vs. the standard-grade for a tad better construction and power/weight ratio.

I went with the Husky 359.  In talking to dealers and doing some homework, I narrowed it down like this:

• Stihl 260 Pro
Great pro-grade saw but a tad small for what I need.

• Stihl 270, 280
Standard-grade saws, probably a bit small to pull a 3/8" chain around an 18" bar.

• Stihl 290, 310
Standard-grade saws that would get the job done, but they are both bulkier and heavier than the Husky 359 and Stihl 360/361.

• Husky 357 XP
Although the Husky XP saws are great pro-grade saws, I eliminated them since they are higher RPM saws.  I wanted something a little more forgiving with a wider power band.

• Husky 365
Pro-grade saw with a wider power band than the XP series saws, but this saw at 65cc was bigger than the range I was looking at.

•  This left me with my top three choices:
Stihl 360/361............pro-grade, excellent specs and reviews
Husky 359...............pro-grade, wider power band than 357XP
Husky 55 Rancher....standard grade, wider power band than 357XP

Although a classic, I eliminated the 55 Rancher for the newer technology and slightly better power of the 359 and 360/361.

Down to the final two, the Husky 359 and the Stihl 360/361.  Both are pro-grade saws that would fit my needs pefectly.  It was pretty much a toss up but I went with the Husky 359 for these reasons:
- better carb adjustment on the Husky (has high, low, and idle speed jet adjustment)
- heard good things about Husky's air cleaning system
- the 359 was about $120 less expensive than the 360/361

Any comments or feedback on the Husky 359?  Anybody out there running them...how is it going?  

Offline jokers

• Senior Member x2
  • Chainsaw Freak
    • Share Post
Re: Husky and the 359
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 07:56:15 AM »
Edge,

I think that your evaluation and final decision were very sensible, it`s quite possibly the same conclusion that I would have come to if I were looking for one "do it all" saw.

I have one final criteria that I add to the equation, that is highest power to weight ratio. Given that the 357 and 361 have more power for the same weight, I`d go that way first. but it neglects the very important aspect of budget.

FWIW, I`ve got all three of these models in my stable and find them all to be excellent examples of the finest saws made today.

Russ

Offline DanManofStihl

• Full Member x2
  • Cut em down Dan
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 10:52:05 AM »
I have a 036 stihl chainsaw that is in good condition that I love it runs very well. It has never left me out in the woods so I am very happy with it.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Offline rahtreelimbs

• Full Member x2
  • Confirmed Chainsaw Addict!!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 07:48:19 PM »
Comparing an 036 to the new 361 is like comparing Pee Wee Herman to Mike Tyson. The 036 are and always will be a lesser grade of saw simply because they lack any real good low-end. The 361 on the other hand has good power everywhere.

I have a stock 359 and a modded 357. I really like the 359. It can be had for a good price and will run a 20" bar very well!

Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Husky Prestique 61 (1980) Vs Husky 562XP

Started by Mikeinkaty on Chainsaws

14 Replies
Last post June 13, 2016, 06:09:49 AM
by SawTroll
xx
Husky 257

Started by quinnmedic on Chainsaws

1 Replies
Last post November 29, 2010, 07:48:07 AM
by Spike60