iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT70 hydraulics creep?

Started by woodmills1, June 03, 2016, 07:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

Any ideas why my toe boards are creeping up on my 70?  So far they slowly rise to just touch the log or cant, but hoping they don't actually raise the wood.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Magicman

You are indicating "both" toe boards?

I have recently had two hydraulic cylinders that started creeping and both had to be rebuilt.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

derhntr

I have not had that issue before. But tonight I had my saw head go to maximum height while pulling lumber off mill. I did not know it was still going up by its self. When I got back to the front of the mill an noticed it at max raise. When I hit lever to lower nothing, no power after several minutes of head scratching, helper asked it it had a circuit breaker. Ah yes it does hit reset and head started working. Whew was able to finish job.     
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

4x4American

Quote from: derhntr on June 03, 2016, 09:13:31 PM
I have not had that issue before. But tonight I had my saw head go to maximum height while pulling lumber off mill. I did not know it was still going up by its self. When I got back to the front of the mill an noticed it at max raise. When I hit lever to lower nothing, no power after several minutes of head scratching, helper asked it it had a circuit breaker. Ah yes it does hit reset and head started working. Whew was able to finish job.   

I was told that if you raise the head all the way up or down you can break stuff by the WM rep I picked up the mill from.  So far I have lowered it all the way.  The drum switch sticks up and down on mine when you let go, so you have to put it back to center manual like-lee.

woodmills1  what year is your mill and is it one of them super 70s?  DCS or..?
Boy, back in my day..

lewis

there should be a cap with 4 screws,you can remove this cap and check the screw in the end of the spool to make sure it hasnt backed out

derhntr

4X4 never have had mine stick before :o

Magicman

:P  Are we still talking about woodmills1's toe board creeping up problem  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 03, 2016, 10:25:54 PM
:P  Are we still talking about woodmills1's toe board creeping up problem  ???

:D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

YoungStump

I'm thinking the toe board creeping problem is addressed in the WoodMizer manual. If I recall it can be caused by dropping logs or flipping cants with the toe boards raised, causing damage to the hydraulic valve or cylinder.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

derhntr

OOPPS!! While stacking lumber today I had 20 boards that measure 7 inches on one end and 6 inches on other end.  :o I will blame it on toe board creep  :D

woodmills1

Thanks for the reply's, sorry I took so long to respond.  I saw the stuff in the manual for my 2005 LT 70 HD and while I have turned a few logs with the rollers up, I never used them as a cushion. Guess I will do the other tests listed in the manual, but so far no harm no foul from the creep.  ( boy that reads like a bad sentence!)

I could accept down creep but up creep is just weird.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: Magicman on June 03, 2016, 08:01:43 PM
You are indicating "both" toe boards?

I have recently had two hydraulic cylinders that started creeping and both had to be rebuilt.

x2 :)
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Magicman

Quote from: woodmills1 on June 13, 2016, 06:30:08 PMI could accept down creep but up creep is just weird.
If the seals are compromised it will creep up, not down. 

woodmills1

Seems to have stopped by itself, so maybe dirt or debris.  This kind of solution never makes me happy.  Good orders lately though.

Thank You Sponsors!