iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A non concrete floor

Started by paul case, July 13, 2016, 04:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

As many of you know, I bought a new to me mill back in February as an up grade for one of my '94 models. I had decided to do a little different set up on it as my help and I HATES to clean out under the mill. I didn't want to concrete it as it may not be totally permanent. I have plenty of wood so you guessed it. My new floor is 2x lumber. It is screwed together with 1x6 on top. We put some chocks screwed down so the mill wont slide on the floor. We have been blowing the floor off at the end of each day and maybe every ten days we have clean up the dust and bark that gets blown out in the building with the loader bucket.

Not perfect but it works.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

That is thinking ahead of the curve because as you said, concrete is permanent.  I hope that it continues to work for you. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

47sawdust

The wood floor will also be easier on your feet and legs.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Chuck White

Sounds like you made a good choice, Paul!   8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

There is another member with a wood floor. I have no idea who it is. ::)
I think it's a great idea. Use what you have.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

paul case

I first saw the  saw platform for somebody's circle mill made of rough sawn lumber on this forum. I had no idea it would work this well.  I actually moved out the other mill and have cleaned it out and made a floor for it as well. We are able to do our clean up at the end of the day in about 5 minutes per mill.  8)

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Brucer

The guy who sold me my first 6' extension had a super hydraulic and was about to add a 24' extension. He was preparing the site for his new 50' long sawmill when I visited him.

- Turf and vegetation scraped off the surface.
- 8" of crushed gravel compacted and leveled.
- 6x10 timbers laid on top of the gravel.
- 2x6 sill plates tying the timbers together.

He was planning to add a roof over it later -- bolted down to the sill plates.

It was a good plan on his part, as I heard from the WM dealer that a few years later he pulled up stakes and moved everything closer to his main market.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

4x4American

Good stinkin!  Either Brucer or Percy, I believe, put their mill up in the air on a platform and made a chute that goes into a conveyor for the detritus to fall into and then it gets conveyored out into his neighbor's yard so he doesn't clutter up his.
Boy, back in my day..

Czech_Made

I plan to use stone dust under the mill when  I move it to the final location.  The quarry sells it for $23 a ton and it compacts itself into a concrete like base with just traffic.

Locals use it in horse stables, when you add the urine, it gets really hard.

LittleJohn

Quote from: Czech_Made on July 14, 2016, 07:09:42 AM
I plan to use stone dust under the mill when  I move it to the final location.  The quarry sells it for $23 a ton and it compacts itself into a concrete like base with just traffic.

...so am I to understand bathroom breaks will not be allowed, just pee on the floor  :D ;D

Ron Wenrich

I worked in mills that had wooden floors.  Eventually, they get nice and shiny from all the walking and the dust that gets ground into them.  The only problem is eventually they get slippy.  It takes a good many years.  Water won't make them as slippy as sawdust.  Many places put down rubber mats where there was a lot of walking and standing.  Helps the legs and feet. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Czech_Made

Quote from: LittleJohn on July 14, 2016, 01:53:19 PM
Quote from: Czech_Made on July 14, 2016, 07:09:42 AM

...so am I to understand bathroom breaks will not be allowed, just pee on the floor  :D ;D

Something like that  ;D ;D

Brucer

Quote from: 4x4American on July 14, 2016, 06:21:51 AM
...  Either Brucer or Percy, I believe, put their mill up in the air on a platform ...

Not me. Must be Percy. I keep waiting for him to change his avatar so people don't confuse us :D.

4x4American

Quote from: Brucer on July 15, 2016, 12:20:55 AM
...  Either Brucer or Percy, I believe, put their mill up in the air on a platform ...

Not me. Must be Percy. I keep waiting for him to change his avatar so people don't confuse us :D.

lol lol lol lol

Whats gonna happen is you both change it and then nobody knows who you are! lol
Boy, back in my day..

Percy

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I may just work on that  :D :D :D :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Magicman

Now I like that but where oh where is WDH??   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

But you ain't there.   ;)

Josh3760

My mill is up in the air on a platform. I used treated 2x10s that were salvaged from bleacher seats at are local high school stadium.

Josh

4x4American

Welcome to the forum, Percy.  I see that you have an LT 70 that looks like you've been running for about 10 years up there in America's attic! lol 
Boy, back in my day..

paul case

Real nice work there Josh! That's what I am talking about!

PC
pc

Percy

Quote from: Josh3760 on July 16, 2016, 10:43:26 PM
My mill is up in the air on a platform. I used treated 2x10s that were salvaged from bleacher seats at are local high school stadium.

Awesome building and floor. Ready for night milling as well.  ;D I have a wood floor as well. Over time, sawdust falls throuh nthe cracks between the boards and accumulates under there...significantly after a few years if I mill lots. Been thinking of covering the whole thing with plywood to avoid this. Im worried about a spark starting a smolder that takes off when Im not there. Is this an issue with your setup???

Quote from: 4x4American on July 16, 2016, 10:57:26 PM
Welcome to the forum, Percy.  I see that you have an LT 70 that looks like you've been running for about 10 years up there in America's attic! lol
Yup.... Using your analogy, that puts you in the basement, no???  :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

4x4American

:D :D

Can't take credit for that analogy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pILPiB-07uI

But I would think that puts Mexico as the basement or crawl space  ;D

(no offense intended)
Boy, back in my day..

Brucer

Quote from: 4x4American on July 15, 2016, 10:14:20 PM
... Not me. Must be Percy. I keep waiting for him to change his avatar so people don't confuse us :D.

lol lol lol lol

Whats gonna happen is you both change it and then nobody knows who you are! lol

You won't believe how close that came to happening. The only reason I didn't change mine yesterday was 'cause my dog has been in need of a little nursing. And if I'd made the change you'd still have trouble telling us apart :D :D.

Magicman

You play the guitar too??   ???

Thank You Sponsors!