iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quarter Sawng Chestnut Oak

Started by YellowHammer, July 13, 2016, 10:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

I've been quarter sawing some white oak lately and decided to try some Chestnut oak.  Although it's a white oak, I had heard it supposedly shows fleck a little better than true white oak and would allow a little more forgiveness being off axis. 
It has a different color, being more brown than white oak as shown in a stack where I put some chestnut oak on top of some white oak. 

As far as it showing more fleck, it's does seem to have a little more pattern, at least in the few logs I've sawn.  Here's an example of one of the chestnut oak boards. 

So I was wondering if anybody else has experience with quarter sawing chestnut oak and if they have noticed the same thing?  You can see some of the boards on the stack also showing this same highly visible fleck, much better than the white oak I sawed up a little while earlier. 

I've had a few people ask about the reverse roll technique I use on my LT40.  I learned it from a WoodMizer Competitin Sawyer who uses to quickly rotate a log or partial cant clockwise to save time getting to the face in one turn instead of having to go all the way around with three rotations to get to the same face.  It's like having a chain turner, but not.....  Anyway, the technique is to push the log or semi cant on top of the lowered backstops with the clamp.  Then coming in with the clamp and pushing down, the backstops are raised at the same time, rolling the log or piece clockwise.  It very handy for many things including fast reverse rolling and clamping while quarter sawing. 
Here's a very short video. It's kind of shaky, but it shows the result. 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5rEqBOjv2E

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

scsmith42

Chestnut white oak is my favorite oak to quartersaw.  It typically produces the best ray fleck and IMO the prettiest of the QS white oaks.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

mesquite buckeye

Nice big ray figure. The old timers in Missouri said that big post oaks produce the best 4 square. Of course there are no chestnut oaks to be found there. ;D We also get really big ray fleck on shingle oak.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

bkaimwood

I use the reverse rotation method all the time, and it does save that... TIME. There are several methods I use. If you use the log clamp, you have to be very careful with BIG heavy logs, as the slot where the foot of the clamping pad was only designed to apply force inward, not outward as sometimes needed...it can dislocate the assembly... don't ask me how I know!!
bk

Thank You Sponsors!