iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic issue with early Wood Mizer

Started by MartyParsons, July 18, 2016, 07:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyParsons

Hello,
   Never seen this one before. Working on a 94 LT40HD. The pump seemed slow and seemed to be low on oil.
Removed the hydraulic box cover and found a bolt sticking up from the vent cap. At least the hole was plugged.  ::)

I used a clear hose to help diagnosis the issue. Was getting lots of bubbles in the oil. Keep thinking it was some thing else. Maybe worn pump ? Maybe incorrect oil? As you can see I put it in the vice and used a Battery jump pack to get the pump running while not in the mill. The hose can be clamped to the output of the pump and ran directly to the res. tank.

Removed the hydraulic res. was maybe expecting to find the  suction pipe missing or damaged but not this. I think the bolt in the vent opening was a little late. Must have been opened for some time.

Cleaned the screen on the pump suction pipe. Got it all back together and the hydraulics are much much faster and no more gurgling from the pump.

Hope this helps someone.

As all equipment says keep hydraulic oil clean and keep the oil vent cap on.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

MartyParsons

Hello,
   I am guessing the owner lost the vent cap, found a bolt that fit? Then let the next guy fix it.
Turns out that was me. Could be you next time. Not had many issues with the hydraulics on these mills. Still use this same set up on new mills.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!