Raider Bill finally gets leg!

Started by Tam-i-am, July 25, 2016, 02:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

It has been a long time coming I know but Raider Bill finally received the legs he ordered.  Bill asked for some custom height legs and it took Kevin quite some time to produce.

Kevin decided we would make this a stock item, so we now offer end table legs.
the leg stands 19" high and is 16 1/2" wide. 

I wanted to name them for Bill but unless he identifies as a women it won't work with our theme.   :D :D :D
Instead we are calling them Alissa End Table legs.

I hope Bill adds a pic for us to see the finished table.
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

WDH

Those are shapely and stylish.  DO NOT name them after Bill.  And that is all that I am going to say about that  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

I got nice legs.. smiley_greg_walking_stilts
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

Just a glimpse of Bill's legs.

And another!  The man needs all of the help that he can get.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tam-i-am

Raider Bill

Alissa's got a nice curve to her legs.

red

Somehow ZZ Top should be included ?
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Tam-i-am

Here they are Bill's legs!

Look how great it looks next to the couch.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

Coffee table should be done this weekend then 3 more end tables.

Sand on, sand off.

Like Danny told me sand, sand, sand then sand some more.

Tam-i-am

Tam-i-am

here's pics of the coffee table.  They look great!

Raider Bill

That's  Burlkraft bowl on top. Nice Christmas present!

3 more tables to go.

DR_Buck

Are those the 17"  Alissa bench legs on that coffee table?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

WDH

He did not mention where the BEAUTIFUL wood came from :).

Okrafarmer

Also, I don't see those listed on the price list yet. . . . do you have pricing?

http://ritelegco.com/Category/pricing
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Tam-i-am

DR_Buck - those are a 14" Alissa leg.  Custom for Bill.  I do believe all the pieces we did for Bill were custom sizes and designs.

One of these days I am going to have time to redo the whole RiteLeg website.  When I do there will actually be a store and you will be actually able to buy from the site. 

Okrafarmer

Sounds good, Tammy, and I am hoping to get a new peavey for my birthday a few months from now, so I'll be in touch. :)

Old one's still working fine, by the way.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

WDH

The half leg used to make a hall table or entry table would be nice.  However, they would have to be 28" or 29" tall for a hall table or entry table.  How much trouble would that be?

DR_Buck

Quote from: WDH on October 02, 2016, 07:27:40 AM
The half leg used to make a hall table or entry table would be nice.  However, they would have to be 28" or 29" tall for a hall table or entry table.  How much trouble would that be?

You have hacksaw don't you Danny?    :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Okrafarmer

I'm interested in trying some of these here legs on some benches and such, I just have to figure out if I can sell them for enough to keep me going! Will get back to you after I cut some more wood.  ;D

Tam-i-am

Quote from: WDH on October 02, 2016, 07:27:40 AM

I'll check with Kevin.   We already make the half leg in 40" height.

Tam-i-am

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 02, 2016, 10:59:01 PM
I'm interested in trying some of these here legs on some benches and such, I just have to figure out if I can sell them for enough to keep me going! Will get back to you after I cut some more wood.  ;D

maybe WDH can address this as he has been selling benches he has made using the legs.

WDH

Yes, I have been selling some for sure.  My original intent was to have the legs available for customers so that they could buy a slab from me, buy the legs, and make their own bench.  It is a way to help me sell slabs.  However, some customers have seen a bench that I have made and want me to make them one. 

The key is to use a rally nice, unique one-of-a-kind, slab with a lot of character and then, do a very good job of finishing the wood so that potential buyers see it as more of a fine piece of furniture rather than just some wood with legs screwed together.  From start to finish, it takes me about 5 hours total to shape the slab, sand it through 220 grit to achieve a perfect surface, attach the legs, and apply at least 4 coats of 100% pure tung oil mixed 50:50 with 100% mineral spirits.

So, figure the cost of a pair of legs shipped to you (if you buy more than 5 legs, there is a discount).  Then add the cost/value of the wood, then figure the value of about 5 hours of your time, and then figure about $30 in tung oil, mineral spirits, sanding pads, etc.  Whatever all that comes up to, that will be the minimum that you would need to make it worth your time and investment.  You could add some for the "artistic value", and you could add some for "profit and return on your investment".  This is going to put you somewhere in the $500 - $750 range for a very nicely finished bench, depending on how much you value your time, and you will have to determine if your market will bear that cost.

Den Scoling made a great point in the thread about displaying slabs.  The bench slabs need to be dried and sterilized to make a fine piece that will remain flat and true and without insects.  Nobody wants a coffee table or bench that wobbles because the wood was not dry, warps, and then the legs will not sit flat on the floor.  The slabs have to be very well prepared.  The vast majority of slabs that are for sale out there have not been prepared this way. 

Tam-i-am