iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Everybody always says "look up" ....pfftt!

Started by CCC4, August 04, 2016, 05:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

This beasty hit me 2x in the upper section of my boot while blocking off some rot! Yay!  :)

Bert

I cant believe its in one piece. I would have blocked off some snake  :o
Saw you tomorrow!

snowstorm

if there was a snake within a 100 miles i would be 110 miles away. up here i might see 1 a year and they dont bite

coxy

:o :o :o :o :o :o my skidder would be on the next train headed to the frozen north  :D :D

CCC4

Quote from: Bert on August 04, 2016, 05:50:08 PM
I cant believe its in one piece. I would have blocked off some snake  :o

One of the skidder guys is having it for dinner! LOL! I used my chainsaw on a copperhead last week, it moved and it slapped me in my thigh when it went up the bottom of the bar> LOL!

WV Sawmiller

Glad you're okay. I've stepped on them coon hunting and had cottonmouths hit the tops of my boots and only the fact I was wearing rubber boots that were tall and floppy saved me. I must admit it think I could have been a contender for the Olympic standing straight up jump when it happened and it definitely clears out any minor blockages in your arteries.

Unless they are a threat to me or my family or pets I leave them alone now but I killed hundreds in my younger days. If fishing was slow we'd go to rocky areas like railroad trestles and shoot snakes sunning there. In all honesty they likely weren't hurting anything (but they'd make you hurt yourself) and I know of several boat bottoms they were shot out when one fell in the boat and I've broken several paddles and fishing poles messing with them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

CCC4

I get it, I just couldn't let that one walk. I did some thinking and called the nearest hospital and inquired about Timber Rattlesnake anti venom. I am cutting very remote and had to figure out a game plan if I take a hit. Nearest hospital is around 25 to 30 minutes away, Im in steep ground with a wretched hike out...so get a skidder to come get me so I dont panic or stress and push the venom through out. The hospital told me they keep (1) vial of Timber rattlesnake anti venom and then they air evac you to Little Rock. Either way, they take a rattle snake bite pretty serious here

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

bigblue12v

I'd have cut myself with the saw while madly swinging said saw at said vile rodent!
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

Puffergas

Your a better man than me..!! I'll hide up here in the snow bank.. Glad your OK..!!
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

wolf nemeth

A few years back I was  recovering  from shoulder surgery, sitting on my deck reading. I heard a noise, looked up, and saw a middle part of  an apparently good sized snake hanging  out of the rain gutter right above my head.  I ran to the shed, got a hoe,  climbed on the reading table, and hooked the snake with the  corner of my hoe.
    It came down in a heap, coiled up and rattled. 
  I killed that rattlesnake three times, broke the hoe handle, and just for a minute completely  forgot I'd had  rotator cuff surgery the previous day.
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

Ken

CCC4  Glad you didn't get injured.  Hearing about those types of experiences makes me appreciative of our climate here on the east coast of Canada.  Cold winters = no poisonous snakes.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

CCC4

Quote from: wolf nemeth on August 07, 2016, 04:11:23 PM
   A few years back I was  recovering  from shoulder surgery, sitting on my deck reading. I heard a noise, looked up, and saw a middle part of  an apparently good sized snake hanging  out of the rain gutter right above my head.  I ran to the shed, got a hoe,  climbed on the reading table, and hooked the snake with the  corner of my hoe.
  I killed that rattlesnake three times, broke the hoe handle, and just for a minute completely  forgot I'd had  rotator cuff surgery the previous day.

"I killed that rattlesnake three times..."  Too funny, I'm still laughing!!

CCC4

Yep you cold climate fellas have it good on snakes and the escape from this wretched heat and humidity...but I just cant work in a T shirt! LOL!!!

mills

There is only one species of snakes here in my area, and I know them as copperheadedrattlemocasins.

If they don't kill me with poison, I'll surely die of heart failure.  >:(

coxy

Quote from: mills on August 08, 2016, 05:04:20 AM
I know them as copperheadedrattlemocasins.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

kiko

Got this on right near my house today, it had nine rattles.

kiko

Hope I am not highjacking your thread, CCC4.   Just go's to show you always gotta be lookin where you steppin.  This one was in my driveway some time back.  Dog days is what my granny used to call it.  With this heat those big boys are on t

he move.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: wolf nemeth on August 07, 2016, 04:11:23 PM
LOL, i am bad for breaking what ever i hit a snake with. i moved a bell cutter down the road one day and dad followed in the pick up. i had to shut her down in the road as a black snake was trying hard to get in a crack under the windshield. i beat him to death with what ever was handy. dad said three more fell out of it before i turned into the job. to this day, he won't get close to that machine, swears there has to be more snakes in it lol.

teakwood

When we started clearing my land for the teaksapplings we killed around 900 rattlesnakes over 3 years, almost one per day. Normally the workers cut them with their machete, i killed about 10 with the chain saw. I forbided my workers to kill boas and other harmless snakes, but the terciopelos and rattlers are just to dangerous. I had workers who didn't want to work for me because my land was famous for rattlesnakes :D :D. Now their pretty much gone, maybe 8 a year. Ones they brought a snake with 18 rattles!! :o that thing was around 6' long
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Dave Shepard

I saw a 3' garter shake last night. I should be good for another 2-3 years before I see another one. We have all kinds of poisonous snakes up here, but never really hear of anyone having any trouble with them, except the people who go looking for it. :D I've been reading a lot of Capstick lately. They have real snake problems in the places he was playing around in.

edited for spelling errors. Sometimes this fool phone has a mind of it's own.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

coxy

when we went to Vermont the guy said they did no have any rattle snakes up there by smugglers notch is that true or was he full of

Dave Shepard

I spoke too soon. Maybe my quota is filled for the next 4-6 years now.  :D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

coxy

kensfarm

If you had enough snake skin to make boots.. that pattern would look pretty cool.. even a belt. 

Thank You Sponsors!