iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Problems with Clark 664 planetarys

Started by air1514, September 07, 2016, 10:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

air1514

Has anyone else had problems with the planetarys on a Clark 664?   Two of the hubs had been changed before I bought the skidder and I've had several problems with another hub.  Now I'm needing to totally replace one of the hubs. I'm wondering if I should replace the whole rearend and front end or just the hub.  If replacing both would mean no more problems.... That would probably be my best bet.  I've found some Franklin axles for 2000 but the planetarys aren't much if any bigger than the Clark axles

treeslayer2003

clark axles are some of the very best. what seems to be the problem? when you say you replaced a hub, was it new or used? did you replace the big gear the planet gears ride in? i have seen them have a fine crack you can't see, then open up under load ans toast the new gears. franklin axles [rockwell] would be a down grade.
there is no reason to change the housing unless it is broken, every part unbolts.
i can help you but need more in depth info.....
any time any planetary get broke, it is a good idea to replace all gears unless you can be certain the reused ones don't have any cracks. there is no clearance for any chips, they bust the new gears.
clark planetarys have roller bearings and hard steel axles, much stronger than bronze pins.

coxy

treeslayer    if you get a chance could you take a pic or 2 of your gears and how many teeth are on them I have 4 five gal buckets of planetary/sun gears with the roller bearings out of a 501 pettibone skidder that I don't have any more if they where the same and you wanted to go on a road trip  :)

treeslayer2003

petibone? i expect they would be rockwell but not sure. do ya have a complete cover? i could identify it that way. i would hold on to um if i was you, you might get an oler machine they will fit. i got a few rockwell and clark parts around here lol

side note in case you boys didn't know, loaders are the same planetarys as skidders, just have have to be the right make and size.

air1514

The rear  planetarys on a Michigan 75b loader are the same as what I need.     The problems I've been having with this one planetary is the rollers wearing out and causing the gears the overlap and break.  This last time it broke the sun gear and two planet gears and what the parts manual calls the planet spider.  It's what the three planet gears sit in.  It also broke the ring gear.  I welded the ring gear where it was cracked and replaced all three pins and planet gears with new roller bearings and new washers and spacers and then welded the pin into the spider cuz the spider was broken in the spot.   I'm hoping it lasts until I figure out what to do permenantly.                  I can buy a used spider with all the gears for around 800 shipping included but thats a lot considering the other planetary drainplug has a bunch of metal paste on it everytime I look at it.  Meaning I'll probably be replacing that side soon also.    I guess I could just keep what I've got and rebuild them with all new parts but that's gonna cost ALOT

air1514

The shafts that the planet gears ride on we're all three wore on one side really bad.   I guess from overloading?  Or maybe just that much use.   I hadn't thought about that till just now.  Everything wears out after enough hours.   

treeslayer2003

sounds like wear. i would look for a good used cover with every thing in it. replace the welded gear as well, i wouldn't trust that as far as i can throw it.
you are right, i have put 75 Michigan stuff in a 664. some of the even older loaders are the same as well can't remember the model.
i assume you know to fill the planetary..........i don't mean for that to sound condescending but i have seen people who think it will get lube from the diff.
i have some parts but it would cost a fortune to ship. look for junk loaders close to home is the cheapest route. but i would replace every thing on the bad wheel. as far as filings in the other one, meh, maybe flush it and refill with fresh 85-140. other wise i would run it. put your hand on it after a few hours work, if its hot it has problems, if its cool its ok.

treeslayer2003

air check local scrap yards to. i got two complete 666 axles a couple years ago for a little over scrap price. considering how much a used planetary cost....i thought it was a good deal.
also i have seen those axles in all kinds of equipment. clark supplied axles to alot of manufacturers so it don't have to be clark or michigan.
if it has that bolt on cover it is very likely what you need.

coxy

they are eaton rears the r&p are the same as a 240 jack but the axle shaft and the planetarys are different than the jack the pettibone has a 4 gear system

oldseabee

If memory serves there is room for one more roller in each gear, but if you put it when the gear gets hot the rollers get tight and stop rolling and start to slide. go to the parts list and see how many rollers it calls for and make sure you have the right number of rollers.

treeslayer2003

good to see you seabee, i was hoping you would chime in.

air1514

See bee you are correct.  And I never thought of that.  I need to pull it back apart cuz I know I put an extra roller in at least one of the gears. 

air1514

Thanks everyone for the answers.  I guess I'm gonna try to find the cheapest hub I can and just replace the welded up hub.  So far it's holding but only pulled about 8000 feet with it.  I don't figure it will last long but maybe till I have a replacement

coxy

if you get a spare most likely you wont brake another one  ;D

RHP Logging

Quote from: coxy on September 09, 2016, 07:33:10 PM
if you get a spare most likely you wont brake another one  ;D

Isn't that the truth.
Buckin in the woods

Thank You Sponsors!