iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spruce and eucalyptus (gum)

Started by Jay Sybrandy, September 11, 2016, 06:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Sybrandy

Hi, Im new to the forums. I joined because I had some questions and lots of people recomened this fourm.

Im going to be building a portable bandsaw sawmill. We have some large macrocarpa logs and a few ones that are quite clear.

I have access to lots of spruce and eculpitus but dont know what it can be used for. Is spruce and eculpitus easy to cut ? Does it last outside untreated ? Can it last in the ground ?

Thanks
Making large bandsaw sawmill - 15 Years old - NZ

Ianab

Welcome to the forum Jay

Lets see...
QuoteIs spruce and eculpitus easy to cut ?
Both saw OK. Knotty spruce can cause issue with a bandsaw due to the blade wandering when it hits a hard knot. Eucalyptus tends to be pretty hard, and can have a lot of tension that you have to deal with. Both both saw OK as long as your mill is all tuned up properly.

QuoteDoes it last outside untreated ?

Neither are considered particularly durable.
The NZ Spruce will be pretty fast grown. Certainly usable, but not the prized aircraft or musical instrument grade stuff.
There are different species of Euc, but the common ones here in NZ aren't that durable. Certainly not ground contact durable anyway. The hardness of the Euc makes it good for flooring / counter tops etc. Assuming you can get it to dry straight  :-\

Macrocarpa will probably be your favorite to work with though. Saws and dries easy, smells great, durable outside, or pretty enough for furniture.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jay Sybrandy

What can i use spruce for ? Anthing is it good for firewood ? Thanks

Ianab

It's fine for construction uses as long as it's out of the weather. It's one of the commercial species in places like Canada and Europe where it naturally grows.

Probably can't build a house out of it as it wont get past the treatment / grading rules for structural use.  But for non structural or anything the building inspector isn't going to check, pretty much use it like you would pine.

Like, you could frame up a farm shed with Spruce and clad it with the more durable Macrocarpa
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jay Sybrandy

Could I get someone to treat it and identify it for board and batten ?

Thank You Sponsors!