iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nails, nails, and more nails!

Started by johnnyllama, September 19, 2016, 07:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyllama

Had a customer drop off 2 walnut logs about 6 1/2 ft. long x 14-15" a couple weeks ago. They wanted whatever I could get out of them. I sawed them last week and about 2/3 way thru the first log found a couple small nails, looked like roof nails from a posted sign. I dug them out and finished the log. Got almost thru the second log and found a few more. When they came to pick up the lumber I showed them what I'd hit and they were ok with being charged for sharpening 2 blades. They also brought 2 more logs, hickory, that they said were from back in their woods, not near the walnut. I cut them up tonight and sure enough, both had more small nails, not roofers but like a #4 box nail. I guess I need to buy a metal detector! What brands are the current favorites by you experienced sawyers on here?

Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

Chuck White

That's a lot of nails, Johnny!

It helps a lot when the customer understands why his bill will be bigger!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Not only nails, but a pain in the rear as we'll,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

red

If you put one nail in a tree you might just as well put a few more nails in it .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Magicman

You are much more tolerant with nails than I am.  Damaged blades are $25 each whether they can be resharpened or not.  I have lost time backing out of the log, changing the blade, and then drilling and pulling the nail.

I have a Garrett 250, a Nail Finder wand, and a Lumber Wizard but they are for the customer's use.  I do not look for nails because not finding a nail(s) would/could transfer the responsibility to me.

Maybe I am hard-nosed about metal strikes, but so be it.  They ain't my nails and I am not going to spend my time looking for them.  I'll demonstrate the detector and then hand it to the customer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Well said Lynn. Very well said.  :)

In fact, I'm gonna hang this up at the mill.....the customer can read it.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

If you cut trees you will cut nails.  :D :D
I have a Garrett 250, Works good.
With a 250 you can scan their log in front of the customer. I like to wait till after the customer tells me There is no nails in his logs. :D
Pull out the 250 and the thing plays jingle bells over the log.

One time I got 8 hits with the 250, Told the customer that will be $240 in blades then .30 a bf for the log. What do you want to do. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D   
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

johnnyllama

Magicman, I'm not sure if it's that I'm more tolerant of nails, or I'm somewhat mentally challenged, but I do like your solution. Still, even for my own use I'd like to get a decent detector. Most of my cutting is for our own use in the cabinet shop and as we sometimes work with re-claimed lumber, I'd like to double check wood before it makes it to the next stage. My 24" planer blades are a lot more expensive than my bandsaw blades and a lot more work to change out. I'll have to check out that Garrett 250. Thanks for the info everyone!
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

WDH

My metal detector is a woodmizer double hard, 1 1/4" 4° bandsaw blade  :) :-\. 

Another reason that I quit custom sawing.  Customers can bring you some awful stuff. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

4x4American

Quote from: WDH on September 19, 2016, 08:51:32 PM
My metal detector is a woodmizer double hard, 1 1/4" 4° bandsaw blade  :) :-\ . 

Another reason that I quit custom sawing.  Customers can bring you some awful stuff.

Almost every time someone brings me logs, they are like a -4 face log that wouldn't have even made pulp, and the thing is always wearing earrings (read: iron)...
Boy, back in my day..

johnnyllama

Sometimes I can't blame the customer. I just finished up quarter sawing the big sycamore logs I posted photos of a while back on here. This tree was in a heavily wooded area, no fences nearby. Almost done and hit a big 3" spike that still had orange surveyors tape embedded with it. Was about 6" in from the surface. Other than that, the wood was sweet looking. Glad I took the extra time to quarter saw.

Magicman

Oh, I am not quite as mean as I sounded and I do look out for the customer's interest, but the bottom line is still $25 per blade.  I recently hit nails that were fully 6" below the bark in a SYP log and they showed no indication of being there.  Stuff just happens.

Another reason that I do not scan is the time involved to roll logs and do a thorough check.  I can't do it on the sawmill because of the sawmill, and then I end up finding my steel toe boots on the ground.  It's the customer's responsibility.

Nails are really not the villain that we sometimes make them out to be.  Yes, when we hit them it's bad, but there are usually many Mbf sawed between nail strikes.  At least that is my experience.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

For the record, I'm at 30 dollars for a damaged blade. Been that way for a year.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ncsawyer

I am at $30 for a metal strike as well.  That's what it cost me to get a new 4 degree and 0.055 blade to my door from Woodmizer.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

4x4American

I'm at $35 now, I remembered that I'm in business to make money, not break even!  And $15/ blade used
Boy, back in my day..

kelLOGg

I use a Cooks MP32 to detect nails ;D. I also have a Bounty Hunter IV which is just about as good.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Bluejay27

My brother deals with nails the easy way...

He hit 14 nails in just one cut, although he'd nicked a few on the cut before. To be fair, this is with a 0.055" thick 196" long blade, and they still don't like hitting nails the wrong way.

'98 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD42 Super, '08 LT40HDG28, '15 LT70HDD55-RW, '93 Clark GPX25 Forklift, '99 Ford F550

GAB

For metal strikes I charge $10.00 for lost production and the cost per blade based on the last box I purchased.  Currently I'm at $33.00 per nail or 1/2" lag bolt.

One customer got a deal as I hit 3 nails in the same pass.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 19, 2016, 08:42:45 PM
I have a Garrett 250, Works good.
So much to buy, so little money...  anyhow, just ordered a Garrett Ace 250 Metal Detector on Amazon.   Expect delivery next week. 
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

TKehl

And on short logs to boot!   >:(  Being close to the end, I'd have been tempted to make them shorter.   ;D

At least it's walnut.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

WV Sawmiller

My fee is $25 if I hit metal. Does not matter if new or used blade to me.

I do not yet own a metal detector. A customer handed me one to use on a job last Fall and I told them to use it if he wanted to protect himself but that I did not know how to use it nor could I certify it was working or used properly. I see no reason to take on that responsibility or waste my time.

As to digging out nails, I will slab deep with the same blade to try to miss it (I will make a shallow trim cut with a new blade to clean up the cut if we get below the nail) or the customer can cut off the end of the log to remove the nail.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

The 250 is nice to have and use. Your best defenses is knowing where the logs came from.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ToddsPoint

Quote from: Peter Drouin on July 28, 2017, 10:16:54 PM
The 250 is nice to have and use. Your best defenses is knowing where the logs came from.

I usually get yard tree logs from the local log dump and get my share of nails.  Right now I'm milling walnut crotches left over from a timber pro loggers cut.  Not a nail to be found.  Love it.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Darrel

I like to hit nails with my framing hammer it I hit your nail with my saw, it will cost you $30.00.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

mike_belben

Has the industry still not produced a saw blade that can handle nails?  I mean nails have been around as long as lumber.. Id expect it to be addressed by now. 

I worked a decade at smith and wesson.  We had CNC amada saws that mowed through iron and had TPI comparable to a wood saw.  Why arent these going onto sawmills?   Other than lost revenue at lenox.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!