iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

C4 Gas

Started by Keltic, November 16, 2004, 03:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keltic

Hi, I've been around a fair bit of equipment, but not skidders. I bought an old C4 last winter and didn't have a chance to use it until last summer. It starts and runs well enough but I was surprised at how high sped it seemed. Much higher than a farm tractor. You would never clutch out on the high side, probably not in hi gear on the low side! I'm interested if any one uses one of these old beasts and your experiences. Machine works well otherwise, winch and all, just you're stuck with low gear. Thanks and cheers FMK

Scott

A few winters ago there was one working on our woodlot for a couple of weeks. I can't really tell you anything about it though. Seemed to get the job done just fine.

Keltic

I'm a bit worried the planitarys (sp) ?

SwampDonkey

We (dad) had a tree farmer for years. Very reliable rig. It used gas also. Sold it 4 years ago for $1500. The winch needed some work, not sure what (not mechanically inclined here). It was great on the farm for firewood , pulp and logs. Plus our ground wasn't mountainous or gullied, just knolls  and rolling hillsides. I don't remember it being over spead though. Steered the old girl with a stick.

Maybe you can ask an equipment dealer. Several on the internet if ya type the search string: 'C4 tree farmer' ,into google.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

treetech

Swamp Donkey
If you come across another C-4 skidder for $1500 for heavens sake let me know. I am just over here in PEI and I would love to have a winter project of rebuilding one. I can't find a cheap skidder anywhere. I have yet to see any under $8000!!!  :'(
treetech

Barkman

I run an old C4, part time, weekends on my own woodlot.  Don't know the year, but its old enough that it has the stick steering, like the one Swamp Donkey refererred to.  Mine is a little different, in that its a diesel.  But I too find it to be fast in high range.  I always skid in low range, only using high for moving the machine without a hitch.  Don't know what to tell you about the planetaries.  I haven't been doing this for long and that is, thankfully, not a problem I've had to deal with yet.   Good luck.

SwampDonkey

treetech and Barkman

Welcome to the forum

The reason dad sold it cheap was because we were in the middle of a farm sale and wanted to move it quick. Could have easily gotten $5000 if we weren't in any hury to move it. Could never sell anything locally, it would have to have been advertised. The guy that bought it lived 30 miles away and father knew him through work. His son used it to clear his house lot, which was not a very flat piece of land.  :o

treetech, do you have nay harvesting photos from the island, just curious. There is a 'Timber Harvest Methods and Equipment' thread in this forum you'll find interesting.

Click Here
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Keltic

Thanks for the responses. I couldn't use this machine in high range for the simple reason you could never clutch out. I may have to look at a conversion to diesel, I might check the compression in this engine. Seems to be a gearing problem though. Thanks again!

saw_nut

I just bought a 1967 C4 gas. On level ground it hauls good in high range . When I am in rough ground I use low. With a little care these old machines still have alot of work left in them. I know of seven that are working in my area.

Ron Scott

Yes, still a good machine if they have been taken care of.
~Ron

Texas Ranger

TreeTech, I see you have only one post on the board, so Welcome!  But, I also see you are on PEI, that is the location of a good percentage of my Canadian branch family.  You kin to any Staples up that way?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

treetech

Hi Texas Ranger, No, as far as I know, I'm not related to any Staples. Their aren't many Staples in my neck of the woods. I haven't done much posting on the forum, but I really really enjoy reading as many as I can get to. Truely an excellent source of information as well as entertainment. Treetech

theonlybull

sawnut,  which carlton are you in?  RT 340 in yarmouth county?

i'm an hour or so up the road then,  in clemenstport.
welcome to the board
Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
machine work and welding

saw_nut

Hi theonlybull, your right I am between Yarmouth and Digby.I have been through Clementsport many times and when my children were smaller we spent many days at the Upper Clements park. I have a little in common with your area, my last name is Clements. Thanks for the welcome.

theonlybull

np,  you've probably seen my shop then,  i work at our family business.  a machine shop, in clementsport,  Keith Berry & Son Ltd.

we do alot of work down 340, for some of the mink ranchers, and forresters down there.   woods fur farm shouldn't be too far from you?
Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
machine work and welding

saw_nut

theonlybull, I know of your shop. Many of the mink ranchers in the Weymouth area are relatives of mine, and the Woods farm is about 15 minutes away from me.

Keltic

Thanks again for the responses, I was thinking the other day, that the motor and transmission were replaced in this machine shortly before it was sold, could different gearing in the transmission be the problem? I would think it the tran. is the root of your reduction. What ja think? Any ideas of original trans. for a old CanCar C 4 or sources for shop manuels? I'm trying to contact the seller.
                                  Cheers, FMK

Thank You Sponsors!