iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Last head motor noise

Started by bugdust, September 29, 2016, 06:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugdust

I recently replaced the motor that raises and lowers the head on my LT40. After installing the new motor I've noticed the head reacts much faster, which I like, but the noise has increased when operating the motor, before the old motor was quite. I was wondering if this is normal with the newer replacement motors.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

MartyParsons

Hello,
  I would remove the belt then run the motor, see if the noise changes. What year is the mill? Can you post a picture? It is hard for someone to describe a noise and tell if it is normal.  :-\
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

drobertson

Another possibility could be the end cap is interfering with the plastic fan?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bugdust

Problem solved! At Marty's suggestion I began removing the belt from the motor and I found the pulley set screw was loose on the the motor shaft. Even though it was tight enough to raise/lower the head it was slipping on the shaft. Tighten set screw and good as new. Thanks for your responses ... thanks Marty.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Thank You Sponsors!