iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor stability while moving heavy loads

Started by DanMc, November 01, 2016, 07:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ox

Yep, that's a big and heavy one for that machine, K.  You certainly have been lucky, as you've said in another post.  Dozens of times over, right?  Geez...it seems I very rarely had any good luck.  But since I'm still alive after all of my shenanigans perhaps I should rethink that last statement.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

WLC

Been running a tractor for more years than I can remember now.  LOW, SLOW and know when your pucker factor is being exceeded.  The good Lord has really looked out for me over the years.  Been in some "questionable" situations, but managed to get myself and the tractor out without damage to either of us.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

customsawyer

One thing I haven't seen here yet is that the tighter you turn the front tires the easier it will be for the tractor to tip. When carrying heavy loads don't make tight turns.  ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Kbeitz

Sometimes you can get to low to the ground... ???

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

K, your last pic almost fooled me until I compared it to the grasses around there.... you devil you!  :D
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on November 04, 2016, 10:10:55 AM
K, your last pic almost fooled me until I compared it to the grasses around there.... you devil you!  :D

Yep I did happen...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Looks nice and clean but I think a bucket of soap and a hose is an easier way to get the mud off... :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

69bronco

longtime lurker

Somedays you just dont feel like climbing in underneath them to do maintenance y'know...
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Kbeitz

Quote from: longtime lurker on November 04, 2016, 04:49:21 PM

Somedays you just dont feel like climbing in underneath them to do maintenance y'know...

There got to be more of a story under that...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sandsawmill14

Quote from: longtime lurker on November 04, 2016, 04:49:21 PM

that aint as hard to do as most people think :) but it aint like a tractor you most likely will feel like everything is fine and then just as you start to feel uneasy its to late its already gone :o :o :o :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Ox

Even though I see that was an actual little tractor, I still see that one pic as a toy tractor in some water.  Isn't that weird?  Sometimes I really hate my mind...it can also be a scary place to be!  :D

DbltreeBelgians

I think I pretty well maxed the hydraulics out on my old 574 IH.  :o 
That's as high as the 3pt would raise then the pressure relief started squalling.
Big old burr oak made wrinkle walls out of the rear tires

Andries

DoubleTree, looks like you had to pick up a box blade in the bucket to balance the oak load on the three point hitch?
Maxed out, and wrinkle walls?
I guess so!  :o  :o
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Kbeitz

Sometime I need to get out my big tractor. 14hp Power King.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

DanMc

Speaking of heavy loads and small tractors, this weekend I picked up a load of logs over at JJ's.  He has a tiny 23 hp Case tractor that is just a beast when it comes to lifting.  I didn't believe that this machine could lift these logs onto the trailer.  Well, he did do it one end at a time, but still, it was impressive.  Thanks to JJ for the free logs!

LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

Weekend_Sawyer

Sometimes I have to nudge a log over to the sawmill.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

schmalts

If your tractor doesn't have a ROPS and seat belt, build one.....

Kbeitz

Quote from: schmalts on November 08, 2016, 04:20:58 PM
If your tractor doesn't have a ROPS and seat belt, build one.....

I believe in seat belts in a car or truck, but I will never put one on while in a tractor.
Just type in tractor crash on U-tube and watch how many people are still
here because they jumped off. Look at how many people got crushed even
with the ROPS . My kubota has factory ROPS and I would not be here today
if I did not jump off this Opps.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

69bronco

You should probably consider getting a mule!

Gearbox

kbeitz I was thinking I would like to visit and go to the scrap yard with you . After seeing pic. I think I will stay in MN you might want me ride some where with you .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Kbeitz

Quote from: Gearbox on November 08, 2016, 07:26:20 PM
kbeitz I was thinking I would like to visit and go to the scrap yard with you . After seeing pic. I think I will stay in MN you might want me ride some where with you .

Ah... Come on... Lets go for a ride...  This time a seat belt helped me out.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

flatrock58

I got a 38" x 10' White oak log from a friend we had to split it in half so my tractor could lift it.  I was still barely able to lift it to put on the mill.  I worry more about breaking the loader arms than turning over.  After almost turning over years ago with my first tractor I am very careful on how I lift heavy loads.

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

thecfarm

I don't know. I have a 40hp NH,rear tires loaded,6 feet wide on the rear tires and the only time I felt like I was doing something wrong was when I backed onto a rock and the other time I backed onto a pile of dirt. Now I use my tractor ALOT. I dig out rocks and I mean rocks,big ones and I mean big ones. Really too big for the tractor. I haul bucket loads of dirt to fill rock holes and level places out. I have hills and sharp knolls and uneven ground. Been many times when I had to drop the loader because the rock was too big and things was going wrong,got shaken up a few times times when it comes back to earth hard. But,so far,I've never rolled it. I've backed down a few of the hills with a big rock,because I knew I could not drive down it without something going wrong.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

cfarm,
Common sense prevails and keeps you safe.I always worry about twisting my loader arms by overloading.My rear tires are also spread to 6 feet and it makes a big difference when the terrain is rough.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Thank You Sponsors!